World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,Iwas talking to the fisheries bloke about the lack of cod along the coast and the reason he thinks it is, is because of the abundence of dog fish when the cod spawn.thats one i never gave a thought to.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Strangely, im just watching an episode of trawlermen i recorded the other day.

They hauled the net, only to find a bag full of doggies.

"they are totally worthless and unmarketable" moaned the skipper....

all went back, and as they are quite a hardy fish majority were alive.........

The trouble is, marketable fish all get taken, yet others in the food chain get left, similarly with Tope, they are protected from being landed....

Great say the conservationists........ Trouble is, what do Tope eat??? Same with Seals....... :sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2:

Tope numbers rise, seal numbers rise, dogfish numbers rise....... They have to eat something!!!!:bye2::bye2::bye2::bye2:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I dont think that doggies or any other species are to blame for the lack of codling off our coast at the moment..You need to be looking lower down the food chain..Having spoken to other anglers throughout the winter n spring the general opinion i heard n tend to agree with is that the lack of shrimps is mostly to blame..Take away the codlings main food source and they just wont appear..The reasons why there are no shrimps at the moment are anybodies guess but ive heard some theories ranging from possible to ridiculous..Pick any of these..Water quality, the gulf stream shifting so the water is too warm/cold , Closure of the sewer pipes , algae , etc etc etc.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I dont think that doggies or any other species are to blame for the lack of codling off our coast at the moment..You need to be looking lower down the food chain..Having spoken to other anglers throughout the winter n spring the general opinion i heard n tend to agree with is that the lack of shrimps is mostly to blame..Take away the codlings main food source and they just wont appear..The reasons why there are no shrimps at the moment are anybodies guess but ive heard some theories ranging from possible to ridiculous..Pick any of these..Water quality, the gulf stream shifting so the water is too warm/cold , Closure of the sewer pipes , algae , etc etc etc.
been plenty of shrimps up here for the last fews years and last year seen the shrimp boats bursting with them

·
Registered
158 Posts
"Atlantic cod was a top-tier predator, along with haddock, flounder and hake, feeding upon smaller prey such as herring, capelin, shrimp and snow crab.[3] With the large predatory fish removed, their prey has had a population explosion and have become the top"

i gave up fishing with shrimp after each cast would result in a flounder within minutes (sometimes less) of it hitting the bottom. perhaps the cod no not to bother when the beaches are plagued with shrimp loving fish, and instead stick to places with less shrimp and more small crabs and sprat sized whiting. when i have trips out to liverpool their stomaches will be packed full of small hardbacks and maybe only one or 2 shrimp. just a thought.

Arran

·
Registered
887 Posts
'plenty of time to think about this one last winter....like everyone else i couldn't come up with an answer.
i'd def say it isn't over fishing as there wasn't even any undersize....i don't mean there wasn't many there just wasn't any! They just failed to turn up on the shore. i did hear of a few in nets further off
i'd put the amount of rocklings getting caught down to the fact there wasn't any codlings taking them.
From what i've gleaned from other forums etc I'd say it was pretty much the same right up the west coast which would put my pennies worth as being something to do with a much bigger influence than man....nature. West coast very susceptable to the gulf stream.
lets hope it was a one off.

·
Registered
887 Posts
further to the above....if the best the people who work for the fisheries can come up with is the abundence of dogfish......heaven help us!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Food webs are complex, take out a chunk by overfishing (i.e. Cod) and the whole chain can alter. Other species will take advantage of the gaps left vacant.

I'd say the fisheries fella is probably bob on.

I've got a scientific paper that describes how the overfishing of Cod in the North Atlantic lead to a population explosion of Mackerel which in turn absolutely decimated the numbers of larval/juvenile Cod, the system became out of balance. But like most things scientific, there's always other answers and other reasons. More money needs to be spent on understanding the problem, so that it can be fixed. I'd personally massively reduce commercial fishing, but I'm biased.

my 2p worth. :bye2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts