World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
the way we used to do it was by using a butchers hook on the wall... pierce this fish through the jaw after making the neccesary slices and the pull hard down the fish! not done it for a long time so out of practice! hopefully some-one else will reply and give you an easier way... take it easy!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Gut the fish. Cut off its fins (including tail). With a sharp knife make a cut from just behind the head to the tail, one along the dorsal line, another beyond the gut cavity to the tail.

Join these two cuts by a couple more, either side, from top to bottom just behind the head. With each of these, slip the knife in under the skin half an inch or so to create a "flap".

Then, stand upon the head, grab the flap with pliers/mole-grips etc and pull. Off comes the skin on that side. Repeat for other side.

Chop off the head and try to think of a recipe that makes the remainder taste edible!

It's a shame that spurdogs don't occupy the ecological niche of the LSD. Always found their flesh very much preferable - probably why the longliners have systematically nuked them over the years & decades....

Cheers - John

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
The best way to Skin doggies

1. gut and remove fins as normal

2. put the doggie in the bottom of a washing up bowl

3. Boil kettle and pour over doggie body

4 leave water over the body for 5 sec's and remove

5 peel away skin leaving a nice rock huss to cook

This is the best way to remove the skin and stops all the swearing from her indoors.... well if i had one it would...

Michael :D

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
bassbites said:
The best way to Skin doggies

1. gut and remove fins as normal

2. put the doggie in the bottom of a washing up bowl

3. Boil kettle and pour over doggie body

4 leave water over the body for 5 sec's and remove

5 peel away skin leaving a nice rock huss to cook

This is the best way to remove the skin and stops all the swearing from her indoors.... well if i had one it would...

Michael :D

Sounds like a good un bass will give it a go

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Best way to skin a doggie is on the beach-look at it , remember all that has been said, boil kettle and make a nice cup of tea to enjoy while you put it back and watch it swim away........................these things don't taste nice :)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Paid4,

I like them.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Hi Drew
Suppose someones got to ;) but I can't say anything I happen to enjoy (whisper it) skate

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Roller! I heard that! GUDGE, GUDGE, GUDGE!!!!!!!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
34 Posts
paid4tackledealersroller said:
Best way to skin a doggie is on the beach-look at it , remember all that has been said, boil kettle and make a nice cup of tea to enjoy while you put it back and watch it swim away........................these things don't taste nice :)
They are delicious, cut flesh into cubes cover in batter and deep fry. Thats why the skin is hard to remove if it was easy I would stop eating cod and only eat dog fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Place the meat between two thin strips of Beechwood, then gently steam it for twenty minutes.....when it's done, chuck the meat away and eat the wood, it's got more flavour.... :p

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm another one who likes to eat it, only had it the once though as you don't tend to catch many around here :( though from what I can remember (it was a while back) I did enjoy it :)

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Where do you live, if there are no doggies there I want to buy a house next door!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
shrek said:
whats the easiest way to skin a dogfish?
boil them untill the skin starts 2 fall off then rince the rest of the skin in cold water and the cook them i have heard they taste nice boiled in milk :p

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I was a lad I went on an adventure holiday on an island in Scotland. I think it was called Rhua Fiola.
I seem to remember a girl catching a doggie, a steak of which (with skin on) was put on a smooth stone by the open fire.

I liked the taste very much!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I went on one of them so called holidays when i too was a young 'un and from what I can remember I was so cold, wet and hungry just about anything would have tasted good if it was hot.............................well maybe not a dogfish :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts