World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, new here, anyone no any good marks for doggies, not bothered about travelling so any advice will be welcomed. thanks

·
Registered
506 Posts
not really worth targetting from hartlepool :uhuh:

·
Registered
36 Posts
i didnt know there where doggies around hartlepool area my dad tells me about how he used to catch the odd one when he was a kid but i thought they arnt ther any more. if any one knows where is the best place around hartlepool for doggies and what bait is best and what time of yearplease reply . post me if its a spot where not that many people know of and i will keep it to my self. ONLY IF YOURE WILLING TO TELL ME:secret:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Has been a couple off Steetly recently but as Hart says its hardly worth targetting them around Hartlepool. Ive never seen one caught in 5 years from the shore.

i didnt know there where doggies around hartlepool area my dad tells me about how he used to catch the odd one when he was a kid but i thought they arnt ther any more. if any one knows where is the best place around hartlepool for doggies and what bait is best and what time of yearplease reply . post me if its a spot where not that many people know of and i will keep it to my self. ONLY IF YOURE WILLING TO TELL ME:secret:

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
hi, new here, anyone no any good marks for doggies, not bothered about travelling so any advice will be welcomed. thanks
Forget catching them over here ive had 4 in about 20 odd years! All came from cullernose and craster areas whilst fishing for codlings in October/November on crab.

Travel west
Foxes snout over kirkudbright (Ross bay), manxman, mull etc

If you cant catch them there then give up!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
saying that awhile ago 2 or 3 were caught in a space of a few days of diffrent piers in hartlepool others mite be able to shed more on the matter :)

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
i'd have 2 say craster-( cullernose) or (hole'n'the ****)
as chukka says crab or crab & squid wraps sept,oct when we have
had them when targeting the cod, its just a case of luck around here m8t.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
My dad had one of the stagings at Steetly last year and in the same week another lad had one off the end. if you want loads of doggies visit south west Scotland. Around the Mull of Galloway they are in plague proportions in summer. Off the flat rock you can easily catch double shots of them on sandeels and macky strip throughout the tide. To be honest over there they are a pest more than anything. To catch one over here is a rare thing though, and i have only heard of a few come from our area. On the other hand i think we will steadily see more of them over here. The thornies at Horden are a species which is quite rare, and the turbot and brill caught off Hartlepool are also quite rare in our patch. All i can say is that they are more of a rareity than the norm, however if you fish with fish baits you will increase your chances of hooking one. A good bait to try is a whole sandeel, they catch the bass over here to aswell.

·
Registered
11,136 Posts
a couple of hours driving and 2 hours fishing on the west coast will give you more doggies than you will get in a lifetime fishing the north east coast.

on the west coast you can get them 2 a cast. over here you could get 2 a year fihing every day.

in 35 years fishing twice a week i havnt caught one here. but had thousands on the west coast.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts