World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found by Dottie the Jack Russell on Saunton Sands , North Devon , this morning.

Can anyone ID the type of Dolphin please?

(Sorry about picture quality - cheap mobile phone!)

·
Registered
821 Posts
From the long slim beak and belly colour/length I'd say a common dolphin as opposed to a Bottlenose or Risso's, that have bigger heads & shorter beaks.
May be wrong - no expert.

Phil

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
Im pretty ceartain its a common dolphin, thats the typical markings on the side, well from what i remember Mr Attenborough telling me

·
Registered
807 Posts
Interesting to speculate on the cause of death. It seems to have quite a chunk gone from the throat area, but if it was caught by a prop wouldn't you expect the damage to be on the upper body?

Steve

G

·
Steve

They quite often swim on their backs using each other (or boat hulls) to (I guess) hydroplane.

Whilst this could be prop damage or something far more exciting it is just as likely to be an old Dolphin that has past away and then been nibbled at by all the food chain.

·
Registered
807 Posts
It is definately dead......
Perhaps its sleeping??:sleeping:

Tom, that's apparently a straight edge to the wound so I'd have thought something has substantially damaged it, before or after death. The massed ranks of 'nibblers' would typically eat out a circular edge. I'm not advocating shark bites or anything dramatic like that though, it probably got run over by the Irish Ferry long after it had already gone to Dolphin Heaven.

Mind you, that JR looks suspiciously well-fed :slap:

Steve

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
looks like a bignose yido dolphin.:roll1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts