World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Dominican Republic Bayahibe Shore Fishing

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  marktheshark 
#1 ·
We are staying at the Dreams La Romana resort and as usual I am planning to take my lure fishing gear to fish from the beaches.

I am wondering if anyone is able to offer any shore lure fishing advice, either to this specific area or indeed re Dominican Republic as a whole ?

Alternatively any web links which may provide insight?

Many thanks

#2 ·
We went to DR ( Punta Cana) last year and there was very little info for me to find, probably because the Fishing is so poor!!! We stayed for two weeks, fishing almost every morning and evening ( the beach is to crowded during the day) and I didn’t catch a thing!!!! One of my boys caught two little jacks from the beach and one of my older sons caught two little coral trout when we went out on a boat for the morning which cost £500.
So all in all not good to say the least, five of us fishing most days over two weeks and caught four little fish.
I hope you do better than what we did. Good luck!!

#4 ·
We went to DR ( Punta Cana) last year and there was very little info for me to find, probably because the Fishing is so poor!!! We stayed for two weeks, fishing almost every morning and evening ( the beach is to crowded during the day) and I didn’t catch a thing!!!! One of my boys caught two little jacks from the beach and one of my older sons caught two little coral trout when we went out on a boat for the morning which cost £500.
So all in all not good to say the least, five of us fishing most days over two weeks and caught four little fish.
I hope you do better than what we did. Good luck!!
View attachment 1088239 View attachment 1088241 View attachment 1088243
:) Most poor counties have very few fish for obvious reasons but there are exceptions like Belize, Cuba and Mexico, so think fishing, not cheap holiday. ;)

#6 ·
We were due to go to the Cayos before Irma hit. So it was a big disappointment!!! But being a family holiday before anything else we had to go somewhere and the travel agent didn’t give us much choice.
:) I had 3 "family holidays" in Florida, no fishing allowed but now the rug rats have gone I can do what I like but bad arm/shoulder has curtailed my wandering, no justice. :(

#7 ·
I'm not entirely sure why the shore fishing is so poorly-known in the DR - apart from the obvious statement that overfishing has made it not worthwhile. But a quick look on the maps of my chum Mr Google shows that your hotel is in quite an isolated location, which is a plus point, with some remote beaches to the west, so there should be some fish.
I stayed in Samana some years ago and had mixed results, but not great. There were a lot of lizardfish on those beaches, and they loved plastics - Sidewinder Sprats especially - sometimes jumping out of the water to hit the lure after I'd lifted it to recast. They're not terribly exciting, but they do provide two very tough fillets which make good bait. I caught some nice lane snapper, stingrays and shark at night using them.
There were also lots of small permit (around 1lb) in the surf zone on sandy beaches that took shrimp and fish baits and were great fun on LRF gear. So was the 7lb barracuda ....
Most of these guys have teeth, so don't use expensive FBM-type softs. Anything in silver/blue or green is fine. Also, some silvery metals such as Tobies or Dexters, as the jacks will go for them. On that side of the island there should be lots of bonefish, which will take shrimp, fish or squid baits.
It's worth mentioning that man-made bays cut out of the beach, like the ones just to the west of Dreams, will often attract shoals of baitfish sheltering from currents, and they, in turn, will be preyed on by jacks, cuda ... the usual suspects, so maybe a heavier rod. Tarpon love that sort of situation at night too. Take a head torch and shine it in the water: if you see glowing red eyes, they are usually tarpon (or underwater werewolves ... in which case - ruuuunnnn!!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.