World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright guys,

First report since lockdown lifted. Had a couple of trips the past few days around the north and west of Donegal so ill start with Sat just past. Ill try and keep this short and sweet :)

Sat 27th

Headed to a usual spot of ours for a go at some pollack bashing, up and out the door bright and early, weather pretty bleak but light winds and a little swell, in fact the most calm ive ever seen it :) As per usual the action started after just a few casts, with Grant getting a very nice pollack around 5lb and myself hitting some around half the size. Not long before I hooked into something more substantial, one of those fish that give a few subtle head shakes before unleashing and almighty dive making you stumble forward as it takes you by surprise, unfortunately the hooks weren't up to the task, bent, and the fish was lost soon after :( Ok, so next I put on a SG jig head with proper beast hooks and cast to the same spot, taken again and straight into a snag, waited and waited but the fish would not move so ended up pulling for a break. Another leader and lure attached and cast to same spot, Ok heres me thinking reel like f**k if I hook up, will I did and managed to get it past the previous snag only to get caught up on another, lost lure and fish :mad: Heart breaking. Grant also hooked into an almighty fish too, near pulled him in but same thing happened with my first 'beast' hooks bent out :oops: Estimation these fish were 8lb+ at least.

Sometimes with these big pollack you just need a bit of luck, changing hooks on every lure you use is costly and tedious especially if you lose alot. Its a fine balance of cost and probability of need. Finding these pollack is hard but getting them in is harder. Drag locked up or with a bit of give? Again, fine line.

Throughout the rest of the session we caught alot of wee tiddler pollack, a few average sized coalies and some decent pollack to keep us interested. A good session with lots of fish and a few lessons learnt.

20200627_183059.jpg

20200627_183441.jpg

20200627_183712.jpg

Tuesday 30th

This was to be a west country bait sesh with a bit of lure chucking, a first for bait at this spot with Huss and Congers the prime targets armed with some Mack, squid, sandeel and a few peelers.

Weather pretty drab but again light winds although pretty swelly. First baits cast out, big mack head with single fillet for me with grant opting for smaller bait, Again didnt take long till the first fish, well eel actually, a wee conger (or big strap ;)) nice start and one target caught, next up me again with a smaller eel within 20 mins on mack/squid, followed by grant with a wee 3 beard rockling shortly after on mack/sandeel. Bites slowed up for a bit after that but we kept on at it. Got the lure rods armed with abu coasts (great lures) out at this point but not much was happening, Grant got a couple wee pollack and I managed to get one around the 2lb mark but these were too far and few between. I Managed another strap conger around mid session similar size to the second around 3-4lb on Squid.

We moved to the next bay after that on the cusp of HW, baits we pretty much untouched for the rest of the day so we took this opportunity to hit the lures again, metals did absolutely nothing, so I changed to SJs and got a solid hit on a SG 14cm sandeel 2nd cast, lost within about 3 secs but at least we knew they were there, lost this lure and changed to Sidewinder rattleback rhubarb custard, again 2nd cast got a wee pollack of 1lb or so then nothing. Lure change again and back to a SG sandeel 12.5cm lemon back and a nice fish took me on the drop first cast, a nice 3lb pollack :BigGrin: welcome considering how hard it was to tempt anything. This is a testimony to lure changing, no matter how much your favourite lure catches, it wont catch every day.

We have a theory that the swells drived out the small prey the pollack feed on, this spot is usually very productive for lures given the time of year. So choosing the right lure will catch whatever fish are left.

Grant rounded off things with a small doggie on his last cast on squid/mack.

20200630_234522.jpg

20200630_234542.jpg

20200630_192122.jpg

Dane

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Some fine pollock, good tip on lure changing

Reactions: NIrishDane

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hiya Dane,
Good effort(s) by your goodself & Grant there mate.
Blanks beaten, a bit of variety, targets achieved & some decent enough fish.
Good stuff! :):)
Tight lines.
Rick;)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Holy cheeses Christ Dane:BigGrin:
Some right good Pollicking damn I'm impressed and insanely jealous:cool:

Top class, the both of ye,
Don't know what else to say, am ah just can't beat them Pollock, well done indeed.

Stonking shore fishing all round go"wan ya boys ye"s:rofl:

Mark...

Reactions: NIrishDane

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Oops double post !!! :rofl:

Mark ...

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some fine pollock, good tip on lure changing
Sometimes it is needed, even when you know your favourite should work, it wont. Loads of times Ive changed colour or lure type and have caught within a few casts.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hiya Dane,
Good effort(s) by your goodself & Grant there mate.
Blanks beaten, a bit of variety, targets achieved & some decent enough fish.
Good stuff! :):)
Tight lines.
Rick;)
Hi Rick, hows things? We had a good couple of days, was really hoping for a huss but wasnt to be. Forgot to add this, I had been bitin off by something, was getting bites and struck in and felt something nip, reeled in and was missing both hooks on the pennel. Thinking this was a huss, hooklenght was too light :( only 40lb BS, not too clued in on the fine art of huss angling yet.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Holy cheeses Christ Dane:BigGrin:
Some right good Pollicking damn I'm impressed and insanely jealous:cool:

Top class, the both of ye,
Don't know what else to say, am ah just can't beat them Pollock, well done indeed.

Stonking shore fishing all round go"wan ya boys ye"s:rofl:

Mark...
Cheers Mark, yip you just cant beat pollack fishing....unless, of course, they beat you first :roflmao:

Got to get them sessions in before the wee man is coming home, nice to get some good fish before all these sleepless nights and poo dodging haha

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Hi Rick, hows things? We had a good couple of days, was really hoping for a huss but wasnt to be. Forgot to add this, I had been bitin off by something, was getting bites and struck in and felt something nip, reeled in and was missing both hooks on the pennel. Thinking this was a huss, hooklenght was too light :( only 40lb BS, not too clued in on the fine art of huss angling yet.
Hiya Dane,
Huss are'nt known for being fussy or finicky so even on cleanish ground we tend not too p1ss about, 60lb clear Greased Weasel hooklengths are my usual.
Re the bitten off snood- Spider crab by any chance? As Huss teeth tend to grate the line till it parts rather than a clean snip.
Still a cracking couple of sesh's there for the pair of ya.
Tight lines.
Rick;)

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiya Dane,
Huss are'nt known for being fussy or finicky so even on cleanish ground we tend not too p1ss about, 60lb clear Greased Weasel hooklengths are my usual.
Re the bitten off snood- Spider crab by any chance? As Huss teeth tend to grate the line till it parts rather than a clean snip.
Still a cracking couple of sesh's there for the pair of ya.
Tight lines.
Rick;)
Not sure we get spiders this far up Rick although you never know, it wasnt a nip when feeling the bite it was when I struck and it just parted. When I got it in it wasnt a clean cut, the mono was rough and grated at least an inch about the cut. Plus the knocks were fishy not crabby if ye know what I mean. Im just guessing really but dont believe it to be a crab, have been cut off by spiders before and the line looked like someones went at it with a set of crimpers.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Not sure we get spiders this far up Rick although you never know, it wasnt a nip when feeling the bite it was when I struck and it just parted. When I got it in it wasnt a clean cut, the mono was rough and grated at least an inch about the cut. Plus the knocks were fishy not crabby if ye know what I mean. Im just guessing really but dont believe it to be a crab, have been cut off by spiders before and the line looked like someones went at it with a set of crimpers.
Good bet it was a Huss then by the sounds of it mate.
Rick;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts