Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ye ha im off to donegal for four days on saturday :) cant wait

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got back on tuesday there and we did ok. caught a load of mackeral that were very small. these will do me for pike bait this winter. we had a few of the bigger ones on the bbq aswell. we caught a few pollock when we could get past the mackeral the biggest going 8lbs. we stopped off on the way back on a sandy patch to try for flatties but caught a few doggies instead on mackeral bait. the weather was great all day and the water was nice and calm...perfect :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Alright Fergal?

Just got back from a weekend in Rathmullan Co Donegal, only got fishing for about 5 hours over the weekend - wife and family with me!!

Got a few mackeral on light rod and spinner - good sport also got a pollack from Rathmullan Pier.

I found the tides very strong and difficult to place a bait - even with a 5oz breakaway lead.

Still fun though....

GG

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lovely part of the country. thats lough swilly is it?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Lough Swilly it is indeed. :p

2.5 hours from Belfast.

I was impressed with the info the local council placed at the harbour. They had a large map with various ports/beaches around Donegal marked out plus the species you can expect to catch at each place - if only the N. Ireland authorities could do the same!!!!

I'm hoping to get up to the ledges at Red Bay again this week, my brother is back from hols and he is just a bit jealous over my good night at the ledges last week.

I'll let you know how I get on.

GG

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
any time i fish red bay its in my boat. i thought the ledges was a secret reef out there that i didnt know of. i've seen the guys fishing there, very popular spot.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hallo GG

Lough Swilley, that takes me back. I used to travel to Londonderry regularly during the troubles, but couldn't stay in the town as all the hotels had been bombed. We used to stay over the border at a place called Buncranna in a small hotel called Rhonra House( I think the spelling is nearly right). They had the best steak and smoked salmon I've ever eaten. The pity was I wasn't into fishing in those days.

I shall now burst into song, " Thanks for the memories................."

Fred

·
Registered
201 Posts
Fred said:
Hallo GG

Lough Swilley, that takes me back. I used to travel to Londonderry regularly during the troubles, but couldn't stay in the town as all the hotels had been bombed. We used to stay over the border at a place called Buncranna in a small hotel called Rhonra House( I think the spelling is nearly right). They had the best steak and smoked salmon I've ever eaten. The pity was I wasn't into fishing in those days.

I shall now burst into song, " Thanks for the memories................."

Fred
Hi Fred,

Buncrana is opposite Rathmullan, just across the lough - you can get a ferry from one port to the other.

N. Ireland and especially L/Derry are a lot better now that the 'troubles' have eased somewhat. You should look at coming back for a visit - you won't be disappointed.

GG

·
Registered
201 Posts
fergal said:
any time i fish red bay its in my boat. i thought the ledges was a secret reef out there that i didnt know of. i've seen the guys fishing there, very popular spot.
Had you going there Fergal.....

I haven't quite aspired to a boat as yet but the idea has been in the back of my head for some time now and my bro and I have discussed this at some length - maybe soon....

GG

·
Registered
325 Posts
GG

I should be well on the way to retirement by the end of this year, just keeping a few clients. Then I'll have more time and intend taking my wife acros the water. There are so many places I want to show her. Who knows, we might even go to Buncranna. This time the rods will be with me. :) :) :)

Fred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts