World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear alot of you going on about how bad the bass fishing is and how we should make the most of it whilst it lasts etc etc. Now I am a realist, and yes I am an optimist and always look at the bright side of things. Now I do know guys in the UK that are having their best season and each year they seem to catch more and more. We all know that our beloved bass get a hard time of things from every species that can get their teeth into them. This year has been hard work for me but I'm not blaming anyone or anything in any derect form cos I just dont believe its that bad. I am probably wrong, I hope I'm not. So guys are any of you with me or should I sell up now and take up golf?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Time fishing in hours, and fish caught ratio, I'm up!

Little effort, good fishing! Looking for a Tope now, just need the right weather!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Well, it certainly ain't getting better year on year, & the long term prognosis is not good. Personally I'm catching maybe a third of what I was 10 years ago (size & numbers ~ deduced from records).

But you know what they say...

You should have been here yesterday!

:marinheir

CP

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hear alot of you going on about how bad the bass fishing is and how we should make the most of it whilst it lasts etc etc. Now I am a realist, and yes I am an optimist and always look at the bright side of things. Now I do know guys in the UK that are having their best season and each year they seem to catch more and more. We all know that our beloved bass get a hard time of things from every species that can get their teeth into them. This year has been hard work for me but I'm not blaming anyone or anything in any derect form cos I just dont believe its that bad. I am probably wrong, I hope I'm not. So guys are any of you with me or should I sell up now and take up golf?
Don't believe it's that bad?...........don't put your golf clubs away just yet.

"Each year they seem to catch more and more".........bit stuck for a reply to a sentence like this really.........

are you saying that the "Bassing" is better than ever? If so, that's an astounding statement to make. Are you making a difference between shore or boat Bassing'? It is fact that the "Bassing" all over has seriously declined when compared to former years. Look at the mess the "pairs" have made in your neck of the woods.

asp.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm up on last years figures from the shore to be honest, and up in the boat too, but only 'cos I've bought a kayak.
Big boat plugging is more for later in the year up here.
I put my increased catches down to the Duo Tide Minnow, cheers Mick :clap2:

·
Registered
961 Posts
The mere notion of golf got me so upset I had to bin three draft messages last night and sleep on it.

I am not sure what to make of the decline some are reporting MrFish. I'm soldiering on - you've got to get out there and do it.

I do find there are lot more anglers targetting bass now, especially from kayaks, and a lot more xspurts than I knew ten years ago. Maybe its because the angling press in the UK has seized on it as the next great hope and made it sound as though you can just flick out a surface lure and bingo, there's bass everywhere. It is not that easy and I hope it never gets that way frankly.

There's also a lot more of what I would call "immediateness" about fishing today. Instant email orders, fast delivery, rapid posting of photos on internet sites, quick exchanges with real bass gurus on forums like this one, and so on. I can never remember actual bass fishing, that's wetting a line and catching a fish, being that quick, OK maybe the odd red letter trip but not as a rule. Nor any other form of angling.

Or maybe we are missing how special it is to have the opportunity to fish for and catch such wonderful fish? How often do you hear someone say "Just a schoolie..." in passing as if it didn't matter? Who are they trying to kid. Every fish caught is an important result and when you are telling someone you should have a big smile on your face.

But golf? Following a bunch of budding Tigers around an over-manicured field chasing a little white ball and talking "business"? It fills me with dread. But at least they're not out there buying kayaks, I suppose.

Maybe any anglers who want instant results should get Sega Bass for the Wii?:bleh:

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
There are certainly a lot more lure fishers around today. I've had my worst 2 seasons the last two years, but due to bait fishing am faring better this year. I think the writing is on the wall though. You only need to look at flatfish returns to see the way the bass might go. For the last 20 years I've been spiking flatties, and normally had at least one per session; sometimes 3 or 4 on a good day. For the last five years the return has been one flattie every three sessions, it's so bad that i now take a rake so at least i can get a few praires (Warty Venus clams) for a feed.

I love fishing for the whole experience, but ultimately i do like to catch. Hence my increased use of bait this year. Naturally you find yourself moving with the times.....or getting back to basics

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,079 Posts
My results this year have been very down but I always look on the bright side of things.
I think that these things tend to come in 'waves' and maybee next year things will be better.
I'm off in a few weeks for another seven days in North Wales and am constantly looking at the catch reports on this site for that area and it don't look good,but I still cant wait to get there.
I can't let the doom and gloom get me down.
On my last trip a couple of weeks ago the fishing was poor and my usually very productive marks didn't seem to hold fish.
What worried me was usually with the clear water and the MJs I can see Wrasse chasing the lures and the odd Launce etc,but the water appeared devoid of fish life in some areas.
Now what I am hoping is,the fact that there were no "fodder" fish around many areas could be the reason why the Bassin is poor this year.
If the water was full of the usual sandeels and tiny maks etc and the bass were still not showing then too me it would be more worrying.
The fodder fish dont seem to be around in the same numbers this year so maybee when they return things will get better.
I can see Ireland trips for next year.

Nick.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
i catch 50times more bass now than i did in the 70s and 80s times are a changing,,,in them days i lived in yorkshire and if a bass was caught off the shore it would make the front page of the Hull Daily Mail such a rarity i remember targeting cod off the yorkshire coast in them days and only bagging 4 bass in 18yrs up till the early 90sbut now theres some great fishing over there under the correct conditions and tides on bait and luresso what i ask,, apart from me moving to ireland what has changed,climate?* the north sea has not always had a head of bass that is for sure,, so why are they there now ,,is there a larger catchment /distribution area for the bass,a bigger picture needs to be looked at relating to a possible, not decline of stocks but could it be a thinning of stocks same or increased stocks over a larger area ,,general movement of bass following the feed fish in warmer waters will send bass to places they have never been seen before ,gee

·
Registered
430 Posts
another 6 hour plugging session (Isle of Purbeck, good place!), another blank. STILL yet to catch a bass on a plug despite numerous attempts. very much doom for me, but definately not gloom...they are out there to be caught! for the next 2 months i shall be hanging some X-Rap Magnum Divebaits (30') off the back of a survey ship and hauling them in after 12 hours...but no fun in that dammit

·
WSF Primary Administrator.
61,079 Posts
I am pinning my hopes on the fact that the reason the Bass arnt around so much this year is because the bait fish are not here as much as usual.
I hope thats all it is.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
One thing I do think about sometimes is that the technology that is now used to create cutting edge all singing and dancing lures, turbo rods (normally red) that cast further and offer better control etc than ever before, super-duper reels that can pratically reel in themselves, yet still catches, in general it seems are going down. If stocks were not declining, surely we would be catching more, as the speed at which the guys at the forefront of plugging are learning, has never been greater, if you know what I mean. Basically, I think we are all fishing better than ever before, better knowledge and equipment, and the technology progressing faster than ever, yet catches seem to decline. May be nonsense though, I thik a lot when I am blanking!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Mrfishjersey, Graham Hill, Mr Gilbey etc I can understand your desire for optimism as your livelihoods depend on others optimism and therefore their desire to buy rods, lures, magazines, accommodation etc from you to keep you in business. Bad bassing is bad business for you.

Sad fact is the bassing is going down hill unfortunately compared to previous years and that is despite better equipment and knowledge. All the shiny red rods and long casting lures wont make it any better (I'm guilty of this myself) You just have to look at the old photos from the 80's with guys regularly catching fish over 8lb on uncastable rapala j9s with glass fibre carp rods and Mitchell reels.
Now with a Tenryu, 20lb braid, Shimano Twinpower and the latest long casting lure people struggle to scratch a few schoolies?!!

I just wish those with a financial interest in bass fishing would put as much genuine effort into conservation as some of the hobbyists. After all its money talks and the only reason commercials get away with it is they play the 'our livelihoods at stake" card, if tackle owners, B&B owners, journalists etc would use the same argument and stand up and be counted maybe things would change.

You can still have fun and go out there and catch schoolies - I do and love it but its sad knowing the likelihood of a big fish is round here is minimal.

·
Registered
110 Posts
All interesting stuff,talk of depleted stocks etc which may well be the case.Some of us up here have been putting a lot of time and effort in locating new places to fish,methods of fishing etc and to be honest we have been very encouraged by the results.Is it that we get tunnel vision in where to go how to fish.Spread your wings try something different,nothing ventured nothing gained and does it really matter if you blank trying somewhere/something new or blank at your tried and trusted venues.Mick whatever you do wait till after September before you take up golf I might just be able to persuade you to move your shop instead of selling golf clubs :yeah: :yeah:.Keep plugging away guys it will come good in the end.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I said, I am a realist, and I would totallt agree that the fish around here are not in the numbers tey used to be, but as Graham said they are getting them in Yorkshire and Lancs and even up in Scotland now on plugs, have they moved abit away from their normal feeding grounds? We so need a policy to come into place like Ireland has, but I doubt it will happen. St Ouen came up with the right kind of ideas in the plugging challenge threads. Where do we start? Maybe we need a fisheries panel with an angling representative!!!!!

·
Registered
961 Posts
..Maybe we need a fisheries panel with an angling representative!!!!!
That would be a good start! :clap3:

But why isn't it a marine resources panel with all interested parties sitting on it, rather than a group of naturally biased commercial fishermen and politicians dictating the way?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Mrfishjersey, Graham Hill, Mr Gilbey etc I can understand your desire for optimism as your livelihoods depend on others optimism and therefore their desire to buy rods, lures, magazines, accommodation etc from you to keep you in business. Bad bassing is bad business for you. one foot,,, you seem a bit twitter and bisted over this one and i would say that if the bass fishing is crap in cornwall you having fished it since the 80s you have only yourself to blame sat on your fat ass ,with others ,watching people taking bass by all methods and doing absolute boss all about it,,and by the way i am a civil engineer and go out to work all week and you do not know me or what i am about,,but you are correct in one thing i care about the bass and bad bassing makes a bad buisness ,,so sir my livelihood is far from reliant on bass swimming in the sea i just care and think about what it takes to catch a bass and generally look out for the species as i do all the other stuff we get in ireland,,look at andy stonehouse from yorkshire in the previous post ,,,you could learn a thing or two from him if you could be bothered to learn ,,he and others are catching some great fish in the north sea so why cannot you do the same in cornwall??????the so called bass mecca of the uk!!!i would suggest you read this forum in the future before putting up silly posts:blink::blink::nonono:gee

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Mrfishjersey, Graham Hill, Mr Gilbey etc I can understand your desire for optimism as your livelihoods depend on others optimism and therefore their desire to buy rods, lures, magazines, accommodation etc from you to keep you in business. Bad bassing is bad business for you. one foot,,, you seem a bit twitter and bisted over this one and i would say that if the bass fishing is crap in cornwall you having fished it since the 80s you have only yourself to blame sat on your fat ass ,with others ,watching people taking bass by all methods and doing absolute boss all about it,,and by the way i am a civil engineer and go out to work all week and you do not know me or what i am about,,but you are correct in one thing i care about the bass and bad bassing makes a bad buisness ,,so sir my livelihood is far from reliant on bass swimming in the sea i just care and think about what it takes to catch a bass and generally look out for the species as i do all the other stuff we get in ireland,,look at andy stonehouse from yorkshire in the previous post ,,,you could learn a thing or two from him if you could be bothered to learn ,,he and others are catching some great fish in the north sea so why cannot you do the same in cornwall??????the so called bass mecca of the uk!!!i would suggest you read this forum in the future before putting up silly posts:blink::blink::nonono:gee
I dont think he was having a go at you personally G.

As for me, ive also yet to land a bass on a plug. Thought to be fair the only plug that seems to catch round here is the chug bug due to the heavily coloured water, and they dont even seem to be working at the moment.

If this turns into a conservation thread it will soon be overrun and ruined by the anti conservation brigade (We all have an idea who they are) like every other bass conservation thread is.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts