World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beach fishing in Jersey Feb 2016.

Night 1
With big tides and a churned up sea I fancied my chances of a bass after catching a couple of 6lbers a couple of weeks ago. With a swell pumping in a southerly 5 and a ton of seaweed to contend with I was debating whether to fish or not. Well I went for it, I put the waders on, headed down the beach and opted for the K2 to give me best chance of keeping my line above the worst of the swell and weed. Fresh Verm or rockworm as we call it in Jersey was the chosen bait loaded on size4 Mustad ultra points on a paternoster rig. First 2 casts produced schoolies around 2lb, then I got clobbered with a ton of weed. A few more schoolies to 3lb followed and then a slightly better fish of 4lb. I was happy with that this time of the year. Anyway I was low on bait so headed back to the car to get more. On my way back I heard my ratchet screaming and rod was doubled over. I ran down the beach, picked the rod up and boom! New this was no schoolie. Hard runs and head banging I new I was into a big one. Got the fish near the shore and it charged to my right. Now in the surging shoreline swell I was getting nervous but picked the right swell to drag it up the beach, my eyes lit up as I picked up the bass before the next wave and got it to safety. Absolutely buzzing - 10lb14oz bass. Wat a night, 10 bass in total and a new pb.

Night 2
Well I had to go back the next night and have another go. Same tactics, similar conditions but this time I had fresh lug worm. Still buzzing from the previous night I set up not really too fussed if I caught. Hooks loaded with lug I started with a couple of scoolies and some huge lumps of seaweed. Then I noticed my line went very slack and was worried about the slack line picking up more weed. I quickly wound up the slack and Boom! Here we go again. Had to back the drag off straight away as the fish was pulling me towards the sea, even more head bangs and strong charges, I new this was a large bar of silver on the end. As it came towards the surging swells I struggled to get it up with the waves as it was charging back out to sea, then left to right through the swell. Eventually I got it close enough to bring it up the beach with a wave. A huge grin on my face as I looked at the lump of silver before me in disbelief. No question that this was another double. Put it on the scales and the bass went bang on 12lb. Couldn't believe. Absolutely Ecstatic and shaking with adrenaline. A few more school bass followed. 7 bass in total and PB beaten again.

Epic 2 sessions beach fishing in February. 17 bass in total and 2 doubles 10lb14 & 12lb. Will live long in the memory.
Absolutely buzzing, 2 doubles in 2 nights.

First catch report for a few years so I hope you enjoy the read.

Leigh Mullins

·
Banned
2,360 Posts

Night 1
With big tides and a churned up sea I fancied my chances of a bass after catching a couple of 6lbers a couple of weeks ago. With a swell pumping in a southerly 5 and a ton of seaweed to contend with I was debating whether to fish or not. Well I went for it, I put the waders on, headed down the beach and opted for the K2 to give me best chance of keeping my line above the worst of the swell and weed. Fresh Verm or rockworm as we call it in Jersey was the chosen bait loaded on size4 Mustad ultra points on a paternoster rig. First 2 casts produced schoolies around 2lb, then I got clobbered with a ton of weed. A few more schoolies to 3lb followed and then a slightly better fish of 4lb. I was happy with that this time of the year. Anyway I was low on bait so headed back to the car to get more. On my way back I heard my ratchet screaming and rod was doubled over. I ran down the beach, picked the rod up and boom! New this was no schoolie. Hard runs and head banging I new I was into a big one. Got the fish near the shore and it charged to my right. Now in the surging shoreline swell I was getting nervous but picked the right swell to drag it up the beach, my eyes lit up as I picked up the bass before the next wave and got it to safety. Absolutely buzzing - 10lb14oz bass. Wat a night, 10 bass in total and a new pb.

Night 2
Well I had to go back the next night and have another go. Same tactics, similar conditions but this time I had fresh lug worm. Still buzzing from the previous night I set up not really too fussed if I caught. Hooks loaded with lug I started with a couple of scoolies and some huge lumps of seaweed. Then I noticed my line went very slack and was worried about the slack line picking up more weed. I quickly wound up the slack and Boom! Here we go again. Had to back the drag off straight away as the fish was pulling me towards the sea, even more head bangs and strong charges, I new this was a large bar of silver on the end. As it came towards the surging swells I struggled to get it up with the waves as it was charging back out to sea, then left to right through the swell. Eventually I got it close enough to bring it up the beach with a wave. A huge grin on my face as I looked at the lump of silver before me in disbelief. No question that this was another double. Put it on the scales and the bass went bang on 12lb. Couldn't believe. Absolutely Ecstatic and shaking with adrenaline. A few more school bass followed. 7 bass in total and PB beaten again.

Epic 2 sessions beach fishing in February. 17 bass in total and 2 doubles 10lb14 & 12lb. Will live long in the memory.

Leigh Mullins
out standing fishing 2 excellent fish the 2nd last photo looks a lot bigger ,good luck for the rest of the season hope you get another few bigger fish

G

·

Night 1

Night 2

Leigh Mullins
That's an awesome report, incredible looking couple of double bass that we are all dreaming on on the mainland at the moment. . . . wow

·
Registered
366 Posts
Awesome catch fella! Great decision to get out and turn the tv off! PB's are fantastic achievements when your catching double figure bass but to land them whilst catching smaller specimens makes for hectic action!! Well done!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
That'll show yer dad!! Great fishing Leigh - 2 doubles in consecutive nights is 2 more than I've had in 50 years+ of angling. No wonder you're buzzing - your happiness is evident in your wide grin! Brilliant stuff

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Reactions: FishTackled

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Well well done mate
I had the same many years ago
I had three doubles one every night for three nights running
I was on cloud nine
Even though it was a good twenty years ago
I can remember all those fish.
The fights I had everything
U will to
Now go out and get some more lols

·
Registered
49 Posts

Night 1

Night 2

Leigh Mullins
Well done mate superb result & great pics. Top angling.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well done, Great fish.

Mo..........................

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.