World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

planning to get out to the breakwater tomorrow and i was wondering what bait and tackle to use. i saw a match report of the break water and the fish where quite small so i was wondering about hook size. on admiralty pier you use the flexy wire leads about 6-8 oz and do u use that lead on the breakwater.
also my friend gets sea sick so i was wondering if it is a long boat ride.
please reply back quick.:idea: :idea: :idea:
all advice appreciated.

thanks alot.

will93

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the same gear u use on the addy will do u for the breakwater.

the boat trip is only a very short one inside the harbour and i have never seen anyone puke on the boat in 15 years!

do ring this number though before you travel to the breakwater and they will tell you if it's open.anything forcast over a force 6 and it won't be open.....01304 206809.

tomorrow looks iffy but if u do get out please leave a report on here mate,good luck......dave.:boat: :)

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i've only fished the breakwater twice (club trips), and have struggled to hold bottom with the flexi wire leads, up to 10oz ! however, by using the 7oz breakaways, bending the wires out 90 degrees to the lead, and bending the last 1/4 inch upward, and leaving plenty of slack, i have just about managed to hold bottom, for a time !

the tide rip there is evil with a capital E !

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i've only fished the breakwater twice (club trips), and have struggled to hold bottom with the flexi wire leads, up to 10oz ! however, by using the 7oz breakaways, bending the wires out 90 degrees to the lead, and bending the last 1/4 inch upward, and leaving plenty of slack, i have just about managed to hold bottom, for a time !

the tide rip there is evil with a capital E !
8oz Dover leads will be more than enough. Cast well up tide. Everyones lines end up nearly paralell to the wall.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers For All The Info Guys And Will Keep You Up To Date On What Happens.

Thanks Alot

Will93

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
70z leads are fine but make sure u have gemmni yellow fixed wires as they are thicker nd will hold u no problem and uptiding is a must, but i really dont think u will will get out anyway

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is possible to hold in the biggest tides on the wall even in the knuckle.just use 8oz gemini's with the long tail yellow wires,15lb mainline,with a shock leader and when that tide run's you MUST uptide .if you still can't hold then it's best you fish the harbour till it eases off.the main tide run start's an hour and a half before high water and run's towards deal.a good mate of mine think's this is the best time to catch but i find it's better just as it eases off.you'll notice the waves coming towards the wall instead of running along it when the tide eases off.the low tide on a neap can rip through also.

anything you want to know about the breakwater PM andy little.that bloke know's anything there is to know about the breakwater......dave.;)

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I find that if you fish as if you were uptiding you can hold with a 6-7oz fixed lead in all but the biggest tides, the trick is to avoid loads of flappy shiny things, that cause drag in the tide and take a few paces uptide then cast well uptide then let out a bow of line. If you really cant hold on then have an hour on the inside, you never know what may turn up in there.
JonC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts