World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the wall today. 20 odd fishing and lucky me had the knuckle all to myself - apparently the tide was unfishable yesterday.
Fishing was generally slow, c**p even. The tide didn't move till the last couple of hours. Ended up with about a dozen dogs, a flukey pollock, a few pout and.......wait for it...... a double shot on a pennal rig of a smoothhound about 4lb and a codling about 1lb 8. First hound of the year so its a start.
There was one other hound weighed at just over 3lb. Others caught a few dogs, dabs and pout but it sounds like I had the hotspot.

Greg

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Greg, It may not have been a red letter day but I've heard of a lot worse catches, well done.
What baits were you using? Casting away or down the side?
I'm planning to head out mid june if weather allows.

Jim C:clap3:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,
Had the smut and cod double on a large crab bait. The rest on yellowtails tipped with squid or just plain squid. Ironically I was getting rid of the crab as it wasn't attracting anything.
All fish were caught on the outside at a fair distance. The pout (and Pollock) were at the bottom of the inside wall trying to get live bait for bass..
Did hear that most of the smoothhounds over the last week (including a fair few on the Admiralty) were mainly caught on lug or squid.
Best of luck when you fish it........

Greg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts