World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a trip out yesterday (Sunday 8/8/10) with my usual crewman Jeff aka the legendary "Shipwreck" and his Son Steve, and his best friend Wayne.
We left Dover at 7.30 am and it felt more like an Autumn day than a Summers day, with murky, drizzley skys and a 20kn N Westerly blowing.

Ist stop was the Varne for some Sandeels, and it was quite clear from the off that we would struggle to get any Eels due to the sheer amount of Mackerel around. You could almost walk on them! Every drop on the Eel feathers resulted in full strings of Mackerel, several around the 3lb mark! Young Wayne had a Pirk attached to his Eel rig and managed to get 2 Skoolie Bass around 2lb each (returned) both on the pirk.
Anyway as the tide picked up the wind dropped off and the sun came out so i decided to punch over to the Froggy side to visit a few Wrecks i have there. After spending the last 4 trips livebaiting for Bass i fancied feeling the crash diving runs of a decent Pollock for a change, and thats what i/we got!. We managed several Pollock from 7lb upwards including a few decent doubles. Young Wayne managed a PB of around 12lb. Sorry no pics this time out.

As for Jeff ? well we all love him but hes known as "clumsy" with all things Maritime, hence his nickname "Shipwreck"! Heres what happened this time- Jeffs a qualified Diver, and as it got so hot during the afternoon he decided to have a quick dip at slack water to cool down. I said thats fine but you aint going in unless you have a rope round you just incase (Jeffs not the youngest ya see!) Whilst standing on the bathing platform debating his entry into the briney young Steve pushes him in. Now this was a rather silly thing to do, esp mid channel, so after administering a B*llocking to young Steve i realised that the rope that had been secured to a stern cleat had managed to also drag my new 12/20lb Ugly stick and my new Abu 6500Ci reel in the drink cos Jeff tied it off the wrong side of my rod-rest. I was not pleased and expect a replacement outfit asap, and Jeff/Steve if you are reading this dont forget to load the reel with 25lb Braid! Rob.

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Oh dear Rob not so good that,blimey and i thought we were clumsey ,but that takes some beating,lol

G

·
Nice report Rob, but a shame Jeff did not have his diving gear with him. I would have sent him down to get my rod and reel back, lol.

G

·
Sounds like you had an adventurous day out lads, gotta say it did make me laugh so much when i heard about the rod and reel, sounds like something out of a laurel and hardy film !!!!!
Bet you must be screwing eh Rob. and i thought i was clumsy.
At least you all got back ok and a few decent fish as well.

Now tell the truth...you shoved him over for catching more fish than you !!!

Regards, Rob.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like you had an adventurous day out lads, gotta say it did make me laugh so much when i heard about the rod and reel, sounds like something out of a laurel and hardy film !!!!!
Bet you must be screwing eh Rob. and i thought i was clumsy.
At least you all got back ok and a few decent fish as well.

Now tell the truth...you shoved him over for catching more fish than you !!!

Regards, Rob.
Laurel n Hardy aint got a patch on Jeff n Steve! Rob

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Laurel n Hardy aint got a patch on Jeff n Steve! Rob
I don t know me n Baz are pretty good when we have our moments,perhaps we could start our own club,,,,,,,,Laurel n Hardy Boat Fishing Club,lol,can only join if a rod n reel, 2 mobile phones goes over the sides,or oars ,running out of petrol,forgetting bait,the list of qualifications goes on,lol

·
Registered
982 Posts
Went out from Littlehampton with a mate in his Arvor on Sunday, plenty of macky as you say for bait, but the rest of the fishing was pants !!! One or two other boats out from the marina and they had no luck either, not sure what was going on ??? Hope things improve for when you and Chris make it over here. Will be in touch about that asap when a good opportunity presents itself, hopefully next week. Also sorry to hear about your loss of rods/reels etc. Lost a good spinning set up myself last year, tiny hook and squid strip disappeared over the back in an instant. Luckily the home contents insurance replaced all with even better stuff. Cheers Rusty.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
If you want great sport, try a 7ft freshwater rod, 6llb line on a freshwater fixed spool reel and a small lure. Then you will really get great sport from the Dover Tuna (plus you will get a good scrap from the Schoolies too!)

Tim R

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
rob
love your reports, never a dull moment on miss molly, memo to self get your act together and commit as much as you do
all the best
greg

·
Registered
999 Posts
hi rob think you should make him take diving gear in future- best tie all rods to boat - shouldnt let people swim mid channel may be whaling boats about lol :bicycle: still at least your getting out and having a laugh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts