World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Downie Point on Sat - (27th). Only second time I have been there was surprised to see 5 other guys making there way to the rocks when me and my mate arrived. Fished for 4 hours on the flood tide, water was coloured and there was a moderate swell. Only a couple of small codling showing, turned out amongst the other guys were with Steve Souter and Mike Dobson - the guys from Sea Angler magazine. Mike took some snaps of us fishing which made our day - might be famous...lol. Moved later on to Wine Cove, a bloody long walk and all it produced was non stop coalies - bait robbing little bas*ards and an octopus......hope the east winds kick in got 50 huge lug worms in the fridge for saturday...here's hoping.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanx for the report Craig, nice to see fisherman can write when they want to,must be loads more fishermen out there with pc's, get those fingers typing and tight lines to you all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm one of the in-famous five, you ended up having a better day than us, we moved further south between Stonehaven and Montrose, and Blanked! Still thats fishing for you, Tight lines....

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there is always next time......We will be back out on Sat, hoping to get to somewhere around the Readhead area, depends on weather. Could do with a decent fish to get some motivation back. Only one good session this winter that was at Portlethen, there's a big one with my name on it - soon I hope................

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not if I get him first!! Good luck at the weekend,if you manage to get out.
I'm new to fishing the whole north east area, could you give me a few pointers for marks to fish? Usan, Arbroath, etc, i.e. Do they fish better high or low?
Might see you out and about sometime at least I can put a face to the name now!
Cheer's.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the North East fishes best over low, as that is when you can get out on the rocks. There are lots of marks that can and do fish over high. Usan is a perfect place to start - there is almost always somewhere you can fish with a realistic chance of a decent fish. My biggest cod came from a mark near the black rock it weighed just over 14lbs caught in daylight when the sea was wild. On the same day a bigger fish of over 19lbs was caught.

Just drive into the Seaton of Usan and park just beyond the houses - you will see other cars there, room for around 6 cars. From there you will see the flat rock straight in front of you, its an easy mark to get to and comfortable fishing. Good gully to the extreme right of the flat rock, had some great night there. The black rock is a popular mark - you get there by going across the field to the right of where you park. Just about anywhere can fish along that stretch of coast. Right along past the black rock is the elephant rock which can be fished at high water. Maybe best to go there from Boddin which you will see a sign for before you reach Usan.

Hope this helps a bit - I have been away from fishing for the last 3 yrs due to work, but i still have a fair idea of some of the marks........ i will be out every weekend from now till end of season if i can help just ask...cheers - Craig

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did u manage to get up to the Usanarea yet? Heard it fished well on saturday with the first showing of double figure fish. The Fife comp also fished well with two double figure fish and some decent bags weighed in. I'm heading up on friday if I can, had a crap season so far but things starting to look up.............can only keep trying - will let you know when the big one turns up

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not managed to get up that way yet , the dreaded work committment's getting in the way!!!
Had a trip out on a charter out of Berwick upon tweed last weekend, not a bad day out, cod were showing in fair numbers nothing big, a few ling and the usuall amount of coalies.
Probably be after the year when I get up north again, unless I can wangle a day or two off, so leave a couple in the water for me!!!! cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts