World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still chewing over adding mapping to my handheld GPS.

Can anyone tell me if I have the procedure right.

I buy the Garmin BlueChart CD-Rom and this comes with a code to unlock one region. I load the CD to my PC and can view all the regions on the PC. I then choose the single region I want. Can I then load that onto a microSD card put in the PC reader slot (with an adapter)... and then just transfer the card to the Garmin and the charts will be in there????

If that's right I can't see the need to get a USB connection lead that some use.

I've not seen the whole procedure well described anywhere but have seen grumbles about needing to go to the Garmin website to download extra stuff... and some comment that a code needs extracting from the Garmin unit and this can only be done by hooking it to the PC.

Thanks,

David

15,082 Posts
I think you will find you 'Buy' the code for the area you want to unlock.I not sure you will be able to load direct to the SD card from the PC as some formats cannot be read by the PC to write directly to the card.Im sure you will need to buy the cable for the Garmin.The mapping I think you will find is not on the SD card but directly in the unit.The SD card is only to hold the routes and waypoints you may wish to make.
This is where the Geonav Gypsy handheld scores,more expensive to buy but you take the Navionics card directly from your plottor and place it directly into the handheld.
These companys do things this way so as it is pretty impossible to copy cards and share the mapping around.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ron,

Thanks for the ideas. In my little unit any extra maps to the original loaded basemap can be either bought as a pre-loaded microSD... or as the CD-ROM with licence for a home download to a blank microSD.

It's because my unit has very little internal memory... but will take up to a 2gb card.

You are right though Garmin have it all tied up pretty tight... so much so even with the correct licence it can be an ordeal for some before they see the maps.

I'll think on!

David

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Are you using MapSource on the PC? If so, if you do a search on the Garmin site there is an instructional video on transferring maps to a GPS, it is a bit hidden but it is there. MapSource will identify whether you have a formatted SD card attached, or a GPS unit. You must format the SD card in the GPS first (that had me foxed for days).

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Are you using MapSource on the PC? If so, if you do a search on the Garmin site there is an instructional video on transferring maps to a GPS, it is a bit hidden but it is there. MapSource will identify whether you have a formatted SD card attached, or a GPS unit. You must format the SD card in the GPS first (that had me foxed for days).
Sorry if this is a daft question but how do you get Mapsource on the PC? If I click the Mapsource link on Downloads it says it will only work with existing Mapsource products. My understanding is that Mapsource is just software that allows you to see your chart on the PC - is that wrong?
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
MapSource is a software product that you have to buy. When mine arrived it was two versions out of date but I was able to upgrade on-line. It runs on a PC and allows you to selectively download maps routes and waypoints onto a SD card or GPS directly.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
MapSource is a software product that you have to buy. When mine arrived it was two versions out of date but I was able to upgrade on-line. It runs on a PC and allows you to selectively download maps routes and waypoints onto a SD card or GPS directly.
OK Thanks. Did you buy online or get a CD or card from a dealer?

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
OK Thanks. Did you buy online or get a CD or card from a dealer?
Got it from Sail GB but you will need to apply patches from the Garmin web site support area as it is likely to be old stock - not that it matters, just an extra job to do. It was essential in my case as I have a 2008 model Garmin GPS which the old MapSource version did not know about.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts