World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'd be grateful for your advice on what weight mould would you recommend for downtiding in the bristol channel please ?
I cannot decide between bopedo / watch or ball ? Or weight 12/14/16oz.
Thanks in advance, tight lines!

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
All and 24oz as well you will need these on big tides

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Thanks, the heaviest bopedo weight mould I can find is 24oz, 1 1/2 lb. Thats the test curve on my carp rod maxed out lol
I fish the Solent and we have some strong tides here. On a spring tide for about an hour of the start of the ebb I need 2lb of lead !! It’s not great to see the rod bend in that way without a fish on the end !!! :sick:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I fish the Solent and we have some strong tides here. On a spring tide for about an hour of the start of the ebb I need 2lb of lead !! It’s not great to see the rod bend in that way without a fish on the end !!! :sick:

Thanks for your advice, you're a Saint ;)

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
I used to moor my boat at Cardiff Marina from Oct - Dec for the Cod Fishing and on the big Springs (14m plus) I had trouble getting the anchor to hold let alone worry about how much lead I needed to keep the bait on the bottom, but you will definitely need a 32oz Bopedo and we used to make our own 40oz brick type leads which would normally hold for the short period the tide was screaming, especially on the ebb, but fishing the Bristol Channel on a big Spring is no fun and I'm not sure the fish feed during the full force of a Spring Tide, which is pretty much the same here in the English Channel.

We called them brick leads because we poured the lead in to the frog of a brick :cool::cool:

Good Luck :(

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to moor my boat at Cardiff Marina from Oct - Dec for the Cod Fishing and on the big Springs (14m plus) I had trouble getting the anchor to hold let alone worry about how much lead I needed to keep the bait on the bottom, but you will definitely need a 32oz Bopedo and we used to make our own 40oz brick type leads which would normally hold for the short period the tide was screaming, especially on the ebb, but fishing the Bristol Channel on a big Spring is no fun and I'm not sure the fish feed during the full force of a Spring Tide, which is pretty much the same here in the English Channel.

We called them brick leads because we poured the lead in to the frog of a brick :cool::cool:

Good Luck :(

I'm moored in Burry Port harbour which is quiet a few clicks west of cardiff. I appreciate the run of tide there is fierce, apart from the tidal range I believe its because the channel narrows and influenced by the bottle neck effect.
Anchoring further West on spring tides we've experienced the occasional "trip" but mainly we dont have any issues, apart from downtiding :). I've ordered a 16oz bopedo mould so will see how we get on with that? If I aquire any more moulds I'll be the leading stockist in S Wales lol.
Thanks for your words of wisdom and will bare that in mind should I choose a Cardiff mooring in future, kind regards !!

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
Hi all, I'd be grateful for your advice on what weight mould would you recommend for downtiding in the bristol channel please ?
I cannot decide between bopedo / watch or ball ? Or weight 12/14/16oz.
Thanks in advance, tight lines!
:) Personally I prefer the Bopedo weights because they lie better in the tide and don't twist on the drop or retrieve. :)

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
If you had started off with I fish up by Burry Port I would have been able to say you may find that 14 ounce is a Max you need anymore and it becomes impossible to fish the Maxx ball leads I use are 16 ounce and that is 4 fishing at Stout Point to Nash and deeper Waters wear your fishing you will be able to get away with Max of 14 ounces lol Ball leads are easier to walk away from the boat when fishing downtide

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you had started off with I fish up by Burry Port I would have been able to say you may find that 14 ounce is a Max you need anymore and it becomes impossible to fish the Maxx ball leads I use are 16 ounce and that is 4 fishing at Stout Point to Nash and deeper Waters wear your fishing you will be able to get away with Max of 14 ounces lol Ball leads are easier to walk away from the boat when fishing downtide

Thanks for your responce fish, in hindsight I shouldve been more specific.
I was more interested in the types of weights people were using tbh, maybe next time you'll re say balls are good for bouncing back in the tide ;) thanks again and tight lines :)

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Thanks for your responce fish, in hindsight I shouldve been more specific.
I was more interested in the types of weights people were using tbh, maybe next time you'll re say balls are good for bouncing back in the tide ;) thanks again and tight lines :)
As for types, as I understand it

Watch type- flat fish drifting
Gripper - uptiding
Ball - wrecking
Boatpedo - general down tiding

Any improvements guys ??

·
Registered
11,084 Posts

Gripper - uptiding
Ball - wrecking

Any improvements guys ??
Spark Plugs - for when you are too tight to buy lead weights :thumbsup:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Gripper - uptiding
Ball - wrecking

Any improvements guys ??
Types of downtiding weights specifically Fish. You have stated you prefer the ball and I'm swinging between ball/bopedo myself. Either type can be bounced back in the tide and both will decend quickly.
Its a personal choice regarding conditions / bottom type /method situation it seems. Your choice of downtiding lead for Nash was informative, thanks :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts