World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
*BASS LURE GURU*
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now,,, do you set yours loose, and tighten up,,,

Or tight so tight hooks rip out....

Or just PERFECT , like my drag,,, where a 3 pound bass should take an inch or more,,,?????

Main question is,, are you good at guessing weight of a fish hooked, by your drag.......

I never alter my drag,,, doing it during a fighting fish, is just weird,, and you deserve to lose it.

I'm now getting very good at guessing,,, and never more than half a pound out on any fish,,,

Just from way drag goes,, and rod bends,,,

Are you one of these, that gets a semi,,, letting a pound half,, 3 pound fish, sing your drag....

Each to there own,, but if you are one of those,, coming to the meet,, please don't fish near me..

Just plain strange,,, baby fish, pulling line,, as you tighten up on it,,,

Some don't tighten up,, just play it for 3 to 5 mins,,

I skipped 4 near 3 pound in, in 30 seconds last night,,, get them in fresh, get them back quick...

Personally,, I just LOVE knowing I have a better fish on my rod.............

Each to there own,, if you do the weird thing, fair enough,,, its normally newbies,,,

I do have one idiot mate, that let's 2 pound fish fly off,,, I shout across,, that sounds good fish in

The dark,, then remember,,, its the weird idiot mate,, and ask no more.........

Thrills,, its just how some people get there kicks I suppose..... WEIRD ,,,,,,,

But I do like weird people....................

Cheers

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
I always set mine to what the rod or line will take by hooking to a wire loop on the towbar as I leave the car, having backed off the drag between sessions. I do the same with all my fishing, shore or boat. I'll only change it with a large fish thrashing around when being landed (slacken) or the same going on a ballistic run (tighten). With modern braid the line is nearly always stronger than the rod

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
I wouldn’t say I could guess the weight from the drag but I’d be 99.9% sure if my drag does go I’m probably looking at a fish around the mid 50’s and up obviously depending on the vibes through the rod.
I don’t have stupidly tight but I can’t see any benefit from playing around with the smaller fish just for the kicks of your drag sounding off either. Also, it’s amazing how quickly you can actually get a decent Bass in when hooked without it taking any line. I believe, just my feeling that it’s beneficial to the fish not to over play them if you can, get them in, pic if that’s your thing and back in the water as soon as.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
tight for me : don't want the fish to get in/behind obstacles (same for river species)
will slack the brake (1/4-1/2 turn when fish is close to avoid hook rip/breakage)
i always hold the rod at an angle of about 90° to the line so the blank "absorb" the rushes
I'd rather feel the fish "headbutt" than hear the reel sing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Fairly tight for me, I fish shallow reef so don’t want any rubbing on my leader. Or worse cutting me off! That being said I don’t mind a bit of give as not to bend hooks or cause any unnecessary harm. Plus I like the sound of the drag Hahah when I’m in the surf I like giving them the ability to run, dragging them in is no fun and gives them no chance of winning the fight. Maybe I need to just admit to myself that it’s about time I pick up a fly rod hahaha

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't have anywhere near enough bass experience or fish numbers to tell from what I feel. As mentioned above I feel the drag to the rod personally. I did a spot of wrasse fishing in very rough ground early this year. Again from online advice my drag was set full giving no line whatsoever regardless of what I hooked. I ended up with a 4lber on my first lucky attempt and never thought I was getting it out. Had I had a lighter drag itv would of ground me I'm sure of that. Happy to admit I simply don't get the size and numbers of fish regularly to skip a 3lb fish in. I try to enjoy ever fish that comes my way 😀

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Surely it’s more to do with the rod?
My drag is set for my rod to go into a full fighting curve . My everyday rod is 10-45 gum and is capable of some serious stick.
No point in not using the rod to its full capacity
One thing I am careful of is getting a decent fish into close quarters when it is still fresh that can lead to hooks pulling especially if you turn them so they are head on .

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I always loosen my drag off when breaking my gear down, trouble is if I forget to tighten back up on the next session, first fish seems like a monster until I realise the drags not set!!!
I normally set the drag so its difficult to pull line off, I don't pull line off after each cast as a cure for wind knots so am I happy to go with pretty tight..no scientific setting though.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
Ive seen people who think they are giving a fish heaps of drag but when you do a line pull with scales through the rod they are using bugger all. One was I guy I fished with who claimed his senator 6/0 was on full lock on a thresher that took an hour to land, when checking his drag with scales, he had 7lb.
I would be surprised if many bass anglers go above 2lb of drag, which makes you ask why fish some of those heavy line classes so many mention on here. Before I get shot down, yes Im from the UK and fished for bass for many years over a variety of ground and both shore and boat.
In regards to setting drag, it would all depend on the fish size but most of the time pre-set. Trouble is on very large fish is that it can be extremely hard to judge when a fish is running.

·
Registered
12,244 Posts
I’m happy fishing 20lb braid. As you say JonD
Heavier than needed for the fish but useful when snagged on kelp fronds etc. I don’t
Feel I’m losing too much distance and have recovered numerous lures
I think 20lb is acceptable with many of the braid brands, like you say pulling out of a snag can come in handy. Im a bit of a tight arse and will normally head into the water for a snagged. I also have a gadget I can slide down my line to recover lures that get snagged while in the boat or kayak.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have my drag tightened down fully, letting fish take line ends in tears usually. I also try to get them up on top so I can keep my line away from exposed boulder tops. Never had a breakage, maybe the odd fish tears off but nothing alarming. On the rare occasions I have a good fish that I want to beach I reduce the drag when nearly inshore, incase I get my timing wrong 'surfing' it in, and backwash takes it.
I prefer to hear the rod creaking than the drag screaming!

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Where to start with possibly the most judgemental question I've ever heard?

Firstly, I don't do drag, waders is my limit, but happy for the rest of you to wear whatever you like!

I'm in the pull the line and see that it feels about right coming off the reel, similar to your 3lb thing Mark, but probably a bit more random.
I had a 55cm fish that did a couple of mini runs in the flow, but nothing else budged it.
Working animal Electric blue Terrestrial animal Soil Art

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Now,,, do you set yours loose, and tighten up,,,

Or tight so tight hooks rip out....

Or just PERFECT , like my drag,,, where a 3 pound bass should take an inch or more,,,?????

Main question is,, are you good at guessing weight of a fish hooked, by your drag.......

I never alter my drag,,, doing it during a fighting fish, is just weird,, and you deserve to lose it.

I'm now getting very good at guessing,,, and never more than half a pound out on any fish,,,

Just from way drag goes,, and rod bends,,,

Are you one of these, that gets a semi,,, letting a pound half,, 3 pound fish, sing your drag....

Each to there own,, but if you are one of those,, coming to the meet,, please don't fish near me..

Just plain strange,,, baby fish, pulling line,, as you tighten up on it,,,

Some don't tighten up,, just play it for 3 to 5 mins,,

I skipped 4 near 3 pound in, in 30 seconds last night,,, get them in fresh, get them back quick...

Personally,, I just LOVE knowing I have a better fish on my rod.............

Each to there own,, if you do the weird thing, fair enough,,, its normally newbies,,,

I do have one idiot mate, that let's 2 pound fish fly off,,, I shout across,, that sounds good fish in

The dark,, then remember,,, its the weird idiot mate,, and ask no more.........

Thrills,, its just how some people get there kicks I suppose..... WEIRD ,,,,,,,

But I do like weird people....................

Cheers

Mark
Mines tighter than yours.
That’s all I’m saying! ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts