World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Dragonfly fishfinder

903 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Panter 
#1 ·
Its been since raymarine launched the dragonfly fishfinder .. I cant find much reviews through google anyone on here got first hand experiences with it ??

im interested in fish targets rather than structure stuff? I do like the sound of its spec's .. ive narrowed it down to either this or a furuno fcv 627

any info greatfully appreciated guys

#4 ·
They are crap at finding fish if today was anything to go buy!!

The chart side is ok seems quite detailed and allows me to make marks with just two button pushes (i'd prefer it to be one, but its better than three!)

The down vision is great for bottom features and you can see pots and their bouy ropes and stuff like that, you can even see individual bits of weed growing off the bottom, it also picks out shoals of fish/seaweed/jellyfish very well. Not to sure on it seeing individual fish but it did see a dolphin once!

I like using it, downsides for me are that when using a split screen it would be nice if it were a bigger unit and my downvision stops working at over 17knts due to poor positioning of the transducer by me!

#7 ·
I have the A78 with down vision and also has Normal sonar, Raymarine state, the transducer must be transom mounted, the dealer said mine would be fine epoxied in hull, and it is, I have used it in depths of upto 200ft, and the image the downscan gives is amazing, but for looking for fish, normal sonar is better.

#8 ·
I've got one, mine is siliconed into the hull which, as above, Raymarine say you can't do. They do say that you can sit it in an oil bath in the hull, but I decided to chance it with silicone.
Again, as above, fish finding only really works on sonar but the down imaging is fantastic for finding features.
I love the charts, but then I'm used to the Navionics software.
Screen could be bigger when running in split screen, but it's so quick and easy to change the display that I'm happy with that for the price of it. I'd recommend it.
Hope that helps,

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.