World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im after any user info on either really,Im happy to use the 13 foot ultra for "off the tip" stick work
but want a rod same length but a stronger tip/mid action to allow easy waggler or large stick far bank work.

Ringwood Tackle doesn't have either for me to compare and would prefer to handle one before buying any......

of course the same rod can then hopefully be used for some occasional Tench fishing on stills in the spring.

cheers

Gazza

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankx Stu but that is way too much gun mate,that resembles Mark Tunleys rod I had built mate,superb for
fighting big fish with loads of power,its also similar to the classic IM9 chubber rod ive got....but I want a far bank waggler "Roach rod" that I can catty balls of bread feed in and fish punched crust on for red fins ...so I think my question remains on the two I asked about as they seem to fit the bill with a nice crisp tip and mid section...just a bit more powerful that the ultra....I was just hoping for some "user" info.

I can recall using my Shimano Diaflash 420 light for stick work and the 420 Heavy for far bank waggler...both still in the garage and both still in superb nick with loads of miles on the clock classic
steely rods both of them and you know what I may well get the heavy out in the morning and scrap this
idea of buying yet more new......:confused::confused:

what are we like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Mmmm reading this makes me realise that if my rods " went "what would I replace them with ,as old school river rods are a bit thin on the ground ,with most rods out there having the " c " word in them and not the "j" curve as what you need on rivers and silverfish ,well if you pick up 90% of the rods out there and they bend from tip to butt "c " not what you need on a roach rod ,yes it's got to be lite and have a fast / crisp action for line pick up but you have to set the hook,fast and have a soft tip action for the most essential 3 seconds of silverfish trying to shed the hook and remain a tight line. carp pellet waglers can be stiff n crisp but power up the more "C" you apply fab for lumps ,not so good for silvers ,trad waggler rods come in 12 or 13 footers ,but I still have and use an old ish 11 canal waggler rod ,for small rivers n still waters ,as when I strike ( lift ) in to the fish if I miss a bite then the float has not moved to far and get a nother bite at the apple so to speak ,and handy to flick wags under far bank trees ect ,stick work I use 14 or 15 ft rods lite thin carbon modern rods weigh nothing and the extra food don't notice at all but faster line pick up and cleaner trots = more fish that's for sure ,I also use long rods too 17 ft an more and fish down or near the middle bolo style ,make no mistake it catches a lot of fish ,as I match fish 90% of the time I need tools for the job in hand ,and even on a pleasure ses will set to rods of the same up with matching reels ,,,,,,,no it not a tackle tart my set up is all about feel I know my rods and what I can n can't do ,having two different actions Means I have to adjust ,I would set one with a insert wag and one with a strait ,if the fish come up or down I have a rod ready to go ,pole fishing so just the same with 3/4 tops ready for different fish or areas ect ,so if I was in the market for a pair of waggler rods for silvers ,I won't buy the most expensive ,out there if a slightly cheaper rod will work ,drennen rods are ok ,but I like shimarno but middy have bought out some new rods and have a look at them on the net or shop middy 4 g float rods tick all the right boxes for me ,good luck on you choice tight lines :)

·
TOPWATER BASS LURE ADDICT
4,877 Posts
Mmmm reading this makes me realise that if my rods " went "what would I replace them with ,as old school river rods are a bit thin on the ground ,with most rods out there having the " c " word in them and not the "j" curve as what you need on rivers and silverfish ,well if you pick up 90% of the rods out there and they bend from tip to butt "c " not what you need on a roach rod ,yes it's got to be lite and have a fast / crisp action for line pick up but you have to set the hook,fast and have a soft tip action for the most essential 3 seconds of silverfish trying to shed the hook and remain a tight line. carp pellet waglers can be stiff n crisp but power up the more "C" you apply fab for lumps ,not so good for silvers ,trad waggler rods come in 12 or 13 footers ,but I still have and use an old ish 11 canal waggler rod ,for small rivers n still waters ,as when I strike ( lift ) in to the fish if I miss a bite then the float has not moved to far and get a nother bite at the apple so to speak ,and handy to flick wags under far bank trees ect ,stick work I use 14 or 15 ft rods lite thin carbon modern rods weigh nothing and the extra food don't notice at all but faster line pick up and cleaner trots = more fish that's for sure ,I also use long rods too 17 ft an more and fish down or near the middle bolo style ,make no mistake it catches a lot of fish ,as I match fish 90% of the time I need tools for the job in hand ,and even on a pleasure ses will set to rods of the same up with matching reels ,,,,,,,no it not a tackle tart my set up is all about feel I know my rods and what I can n can't do ,having two different actions Means I have to adjust ,I would set one with a insert wag and one with a strait ,if the fish come up or down I have a rod ready to go ,pole fishing so just the same with 3/4 tops ready for different fish or areas ect ,so if I was in the market for a pair of waggler rods for silvers ,I won't buy the most expensive ,out there if a slightly cheaper rod will work ,drennen rods are ok ,but I like shimarno but middy have bought out some new rods and have a look at them on the net or shop middy 4 g float rods tick all the right boxes for me ,good luck on you choice tight lines :)
Very good write up Euan, well said ;)

Stuart

·
4,877 Posts
Thankx Stu but that is way too much gun mate,that resembles Mark Tunleys rod I had built mate,superb for
fighting big fish with loads of power,its also similar to the classic IM9 chubber rod ive got....but I want a far bank waggler "Roach rod" that I can catty balls of bread feed in and fish punched crust on for red fins ...so I think my question remains on the two I asked about as they seem to fit the bill with a nice crisp tip and mid section...just a bit more powerful that the ultra....I was just hoping for some "user" info.

I can recall using my Shimano Diaflash 420 light for stick work and the 420 Heavy for far bank waggler...both still in the garage and both still in superb nick with loads of miles on the clock classic
steely rods both of them and you know what I may well get the heavy out in the morning and scrap this
idea of buying yet more new......:confused::confused:

what are we like !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I can see exactly where your coming from now gazz, I think it's very good advice what Euan wrote and definitely worth taking note that it's not necessarily the most expensive rods that are the best.

being a bit old school myself I can remember using some of the 80's silstar and daiwa rods that were perfect for the job in what your asking but lost touch a little on the modern far bank waggler rods that have just that little more punch to them as most of my fishing is mainly margin work using the stick.

Be interesting to see if anyone else can suggest any suitable rods ;)

Must admit gazz Im the worlds worst for buying rods, must of bought untold over the years but still always fine back down to my favourite half a dozen :rolleyes:

All the best

Stuart

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can see and read us lads cut our cloth on running water,and appreciate all inferences to the "Ol days"
as being an old duffer meself,I often think of the lads from skool and or Teacher who had an influence
on me enjoying float fishing as much as I do today,....Terry Pritchard(Peters) Rob Gaunt would sit on Sunbury Island with their beautifully set out float boxes stuffed full of John Dean,or Trialling maybe one of Science Teachers (mad)Bill Rushmers hand made versions lovingly camouflage painted with a red sight blob
dome top.....as a younger angler with "no pennies" I would scrounge the odd float from any of the lads and it was fun to save up and buy a 2 tier float box with foam inners and start to make a collection of my own.......

back to today I was telling my mate mark the rod builder about my recent purchase and the need for that
far bank rod and he has a blank in his stable called the Harrison GTI(su) stepped up,in 13 and 14 foot versions for such a need....its "his words" a nicely balanced hollow tipped light blank that you can hold in the air to control the line on its course downstream.....

well I just rang Mike at Harrison and he confirmed although not a new blank its a seasoned well accepted
rod that would be ideal for far bank "Roaching".....;)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well im 1 step closer having just had the lads in Ringwood allow me to waggle the 14 ft Acolyte PLUS
and its a gem to hold in the air,and the tip answers to a swift upwards strike with a lovely quick reply and not much bounce down the blank....the mid section seems a tad more beefy as you would expect too but not to the detrement of the rod itself......and so I wait to see the Harrison GTI for a comparison.

Gazza

·
4,877 Posts
well im 1 step closer having just had the lads in Ringwood allow me to waggle the 14 ft Acolyte PLUS
and its a gem to hold in the air,and the tip answers to a swift upwards strike with a lovely quick reply and not much bounce down the blank....the mid section seems a tad more beefy as you would expect too but not to the detrement of the rod itself......and so I wait to see the Harrison GTI for a comparison.

Gazza
Seems very interesting gazz, would realy like to see that Harrison blank made into a roach trotting rod, I bet that'd be some rod , I used to have the match special a while back and was a joy to use,

Talking of floats made me go through and sought out some of me float collection, including, old drennan, Ian heaps, Ivan marks, Billy lane, benny ashurst, Dave Harrell, Preston etc, I like to keep them in categories IE different boxes for me sticks, straight and insert wagglers, bodied wagglers and Stillwater blues and then avons and loafer floats.

I then normally take a few selected floats from the different boxes and then keep these in me normal box for when I'm out on the bank, I normally do this so it covers all eventualities from fishing sticks for roach to using avons for grayling in faster pacier water etc.

Always interested in good condition 70's-80's stick floats and wagglers ;)

Stuart

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Found one check out team diawa match ,mid price ,but diawa are slightly over priced ,but good quality ,13 ft of oooooooosssssssshhhhh lol. :)

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well you can beg all you like Stu,but you aint having my sticks....:p

yer seems a nice tool mate,I have 2 local shops and both seem to provide Drennan rods as their go to
tools for stick/waggler.....at a mid budget price.......well I guess it depends what you call mid budget
anything sub £200 is that to me.,,,:rolleyes::rolleyes:.....some might see that is expensive,depends on your pocket I suppose and what you feel you are buying is it good value.does it do what it says....and.......
will it catch fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;););)

·
4,877 Posts
well you can beg all you like Stu,but you aint having my sticks....:p

yer seems a nice tool mate,I have 2 local shops and both seem to provide Drennan rods as their go to
tools for stick/waggler.....at a mid budget price.......well I guess it depends what you call mid budget
anything sub £200 is that to me.,,,:rolleyes::rolleyes:.....some might see that is expensive,depends on your pocket I suppose and what you feel you are buying is it good value.does it do what it says....and.......
will it catch fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;););)
Los......:D I didn't necessarily mean your sticks gazz, I was just more so putting out a little message to anyone else out there who wants to part with a few old floats :):):)

All the best and tight lines

Stuart

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yer,its amazin what you can find at boot sales,dads and granddads fishing gear gets dragged along
if the fam don't want it,ive brought a few tackle boxes with all manner of good Ol stuff.
I had one a while back for a £10 that had 175 new pole floats all shotted and lined up on winders ready to go worth over £300 squids....retail....ok it was all still water but fine by me.
yer good luck sniffing out a few sticks mate,there must be literally 10000,s out there not being used
in garages and sheds up and down the country due to the still water boom,illbet if you went on the
for sale/to buy section asking the Ol fellers in here to go through there stuff yud get lots of offers.

·
4,877 Posts
yer,its amazin what you can find at boot sales,dads and granddads fishing gear gets dragged along
if the fam don't want it,ive brought a few tackle boxes with all manner of good Ol stuff.
I had one a while back for a £10 that had 175 new pole floats all shotted and lined up on winders ready to go worth over £300 squids....retail....ok it was all still water but fine by me.
yer good luck sniffing out a few sticks mate,there must be literally 10000,s out there not being used
in garages and sheds up and down the country due to the still water boom,illbet if you went on the
for sale/to buy section asking the Ol fellers in here to go through there stuff yud get lots of offers.
Sounds a good idea gazz and I suppose like you say that there'll probably be a few out there but I don't do on line banking and would rather go direct to the person myself and pay cash on collection as long as it's around the London or Kent area ;)

I've got a fair amount of sticks but I do luv the old lignum or cane stemmed floats and are getting increasingly harder to find :rolleyes:

Used to like going to the sunbury antique market at kempton park and also the Chiswick boot fairs, have found some really good items of tackle from there in the past but it's now been a few years since I've been there last,.......happy days :)

Stuart

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Los......:D I didn't necessarily mean your sticks gazz, I was just more so putting out a little message to anyone else out there who wants to part with a few old floats :):):)

All the best and tight lines

Stuart
And yOu would have to prise mine out of my dead fingers ,but rigermortice would set in fast ,hacksaw might do it lol :)

·
4,877 Posts
And yOu would have to prise mine out of my dead fingers ,but rigermortice would set in fast ,hacksaw might do it lol :)
Well when I finally give up the ghost anyone can use my fingers as carp pellet wags......lols :p, talking of wags our phone conversation last night has opened up a whole new light that I never even give much thought about as most of my wag fishing has been up in the water for chub etc :rolleyes:

Nice one Euan, cheers mate ;)

Stuart

1 - 16 of 16 Posts