World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As I'm not experience boat angler (yet, haha!) I have some questions to you guys.
Being on drift am I suppose to use the same rigs and techniques as at anchor?
Could you tell what should I avoid when on drift and when at anchor?
When drifting I use feathers only or some lures to get mackerel, bass or pollack. Would it be OK to use some flat fish rigs to chase flatties?

I know that these questions may sound silly to some of you but I have no experienced boat fishing buddies here (only beach guys).
Cheers!

*edited some spellings

·
Registered
784 Posts
Where are you drifting, that's the question.
Are you drifting reefs, sand, wrecks....... as each needs different answers.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Reefs = You can bounce a 2/3 hook paternoster baited with mackerel/squid ect just off bottom, also pirks/jigs direct to line, and you can try shads/redgills ect on a flowing trace of 6 ft + dropped down to the bottom and retrieved, also your feathers will work too (try baiting them with mackerel strips).
Just don't leave it on the bottom or you will loose loads of gear (drop down till you tap bottom and then lift off, feeling for the bottom, and try to keep it vertical to the boat).
Sand/shingle (like off chesil beach) = Long flowing trace with beads/spoons and smaller hooks and weights dragged behind boat, when you get a bite let line out for a count of 15 (ish), put reel back into gear and see if it's hooked itself.
I don't have enough experience of wrecking (but i'm trying to learn), so can't give advice on that.
This is all my own thoughts tho, and there's way more than this you can do.
You tube will be your friend on this as there's loads on there.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
i do both over hard grounds if our water is dirty then i either drift or anchor up using bait,,, if the water is clear then i just drift using feather,s or lures must say either work fine ,,, on the sand i usually drift if the tide / wind is not to strong seldom anchor up on the sand tho

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
20200126_224049.jpg
for rearly big bass then anchoring is the only way
livebaiting macks

trotting them into a wreck

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
It depends on how fast your drift is and what species your targeting. Like the other members have said drifting over sand is fine. It’s a method that stir up the bottom for a lot of your flatfish species etc.
Also drifting can be used to find the fish, using the method of trying to keep your bait near the bottom.
I always hold my rod and let line out to touch the bottom. Depending on how fast the drift is you could be winding a lot of line back in. So every so often wind the line back onto the reel and drop again. This is a good method over rough ground cod fishing where it can be difficult to anchor.
Reef fishing for pollack it’s no problem your lure or lead head will always be moving.

If you know a mark then anchoring can keep you on the fish and you can put out quite a few rods.
If your fishing for tope, smoothie,Huss, bass or rays etc you maybe anchored at the other side of a sandbar waiting for the tide to wash food over it to where your anchored. Where you anchor is dependent on if your fishing that ebb or flood( it would be one side or the other)

We normally troll for mackies/herring until we hit them. Then just slowly drift more or less straight above them.

Drifting is good for covering Ground, being anchored is better if your fishing a mark. Sometimes winds and tides make it nearly impossible to anchor over certain marks. Then a quick drift is better than nothing.

cheers willie

Reactions: adammus

·
Registered
498 Posts
Unless a current or, more often, the wind drifts me too fast or I want to stay in a specific spot, I prefer to drift and slowly cover more ground.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I wouldn't want to drift over the bottom in my area, the chances of getting snagged are high, drifting is mainly used over wrecks and reefs where you can stay clear of the bottom, although you still lose gear, the only safe place I've drifted and caught a lot of fish is Norway, although you can drift over a sandy bank quite safely for flatties, all my fishing is done at anchor.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Most of the period from mid March to mid November I spend drifting with just the occasional spell at anchor for tope. Winter time is spent at anchor for rays, conger, whiting, spurs and perhaps an odd cod, heavy traces, big baits on 1 rod , lighter gear for the whiting on second.

Drifting over sand, for flatties. 2 hook trace with 1/0, worm plus squid, prawn, plus beads, let it out away from boat and just enough lead to keep in touch with bottom. A spreader with 2 short traces and beads can be better on some days, or 2 rods to see what works on the day. Usually a drift speed of around 1kt seems to work best. This setup still works at anchor but around here you would have to fish through the dogfish and use more lead.

On Shambles which is mostly snag free, 6ft trace mid weight 4/0 hook with mackerel, launce for bait, work away from boat a bit, watch leads do help.

On a reef, such as those around Portland bill, Lulworth or Lyme Bay drifting for bream, 2 up, with size 2 hooks, as much as lead as needed to keep the line vertical. Losing tackle in these area is a fact of life. A set of baited hokkais can be very effective on a reef worked just off the bottom but don't let them get away from the boat as snagging is more likely.

Drifting for pollack, cod, bass, on reefs I use a either a slow jig with 1 assist hook on the top or a redgill style lure on 6-8ft trace depending on drift speed and wind. Slow jigs need to be worked as near vertical as possible but a redgill is better worked away from the boat.

Wrecks, drifting, Portland rig, 8ft trace to sidewinder, redgill, shads etc of various colours, sizes, cannon ball leads from 6 to 10oz.

·
Registered
206 Posts
As I'm not experience boat angler (yet, haha!) I have some questions to you guys.
Being on drift am I suppose to use the same rigs and techniques as on anchor?
Could you tell what should I avoid when on drift and when on anchor?
When drifting I use feathers only or some lures to get mackerel, bass or pollack. Would it be OK to use some flat fish righs to chase flatties?

I know that these questions may sound silly to some of you but I have no experienced boat fishing buddies here (only beach guys).
Cheers!
Its a good question if you are new to boat fishing and we all have a lot to learn
I see you are in Dorset so i can only advise on Dorset area as follows.
Shambles bank drift with long flowing trace 4-6 oz flat lead and vary weight for tide very few snags.

Mussel beds near west buoy short trace 4ft max with wire hooks and plenty of beads this makes the hooks float and you hope drives the plaice crazy for your bait you must use plenty of weight so your line goes strait down so you are not draging in to snags gently lifting weight up and down just a little can help.

West bay , longer trace wire hooks and not so many beads some guys use a wish bone rige off Burton Bradstock.
I drift fish most of the time in the summer as you cover lots of ground, and i just love eating those nice fat Turbot.

tight lines hope to see you out there

Espadon

Safety my advice is not to anchore the shambles as conditions can change so quickly and its easey to get run down by other boats who are drifting.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Lots of good advice here. The one thing I would add is that when anchored I usually put an uptide rod out as well as down tide & it often accounts for the better fish. You can google it for more info but people on here can give you pointers if you have not tried it before. All the best

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some fantastic advice here, thank you guys!
Does it make sense to use more than one rod when drifting? I've never tried to avoid any mess :BigGrin:

I see you are in Dorset so i can only advise on Dorset area as follows.
Shambles bank drift with long flowing trace 4-6 oz flat lead and vary weight for tide very few snags.
Yes mate, I'm from Poole and mostly fishing in Poole Harbour or Poole Bay.
Never been to Shambles and I can see here on the forum its very popular and fish productive place.
In West Bay I was twice to boat fishing and once in Lyme Regis but mostly in Wst Bay I did beach sessions:).

·
13,191 Posts
Is this a recent photo? Big bass is like a dinosaur... doesn't exist :D
Just joking, haha :happydance:
adam must admit pics 18 years back in the day
i used to livebait all the time
i had five doubles from 13.8 to 15.9 that year with loads smaller
was fishing out of brighton
but still beleive u can still get them
by putting the time in
pic is my 15 +
that day the largest on the boat was 17.8
by my mate kevin
drat he beat me lols

·
13,191 Posts
How big a fish does it take to make you smile? ;)
i got beat me by mate kevin
he had a 17.8

pic is in stu arnolds book of how to wreck fish
amozon sell it

·
13,191 Posts
Unless a current or, more often, the wind drifts me too fast or I want to stay in a specific spot, I prefer to drift and slowly cover more ground.
i found though drifting i got smaller fish
ie a pound mack getting a two pound fish lols

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Some fantastic advice here, thank you guys!
Does it make sense to use more than one rod when drifting? I've never tried to avoid any mess :BigGrin:.
If drifting over clean ground say for plaice- 2 rods are Ok if you let one work away from the boat and the other closer.
I usually use the 6lb class with 2/3 oz to be the one away from the boat and the spinning rod with 1oz closer. You must back off the drag on the reel of any rod put down as even a small ray or smoothie will take the lot. Just enough drag to beat the drift with the clicker set so an occasional boat movement makes a click.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts