World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi lads need a bit of advise or help really, looking at having a go this for some plaice and turbot this year, but really need advise on bait, bead colour and what
weight size and shape is best any help would be great thanks.

·
Banned
2,360 Posts
Hi lads need a bit of advise or help really, looking at having a go this for some plaice and turbot this year, but really need advise on bait, bead colour and what
weight size and shape is best any help would be great thanks.
when we drift for the plaice on the varne we use rag crab squid combo as for beads it can be hit and miss as there are 5 of us on the boat we all try different colours ,as for the turbot and brill fresh mackreal or launce ,as for leads we use cannon ball leads up to 10oz 10-15ft trace for the turbot and 8-10ft for the plaice good luck

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
We do best for plaice on the Bullock bank or the Ridge. I prefer long traces upto 15 ft with 2 droppers and a spoon with a 1oz bullet on it. Long seems best although not always, sometimes they come to a paternoster!
It doesn't seem to matter what colour beads although I prefer to have alternate black and red or black and green.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
rag or lug with smallish hooks 1/0 - 3/0. people have different preferences for bead colors. i thnik a few combinations are green and black and red and white. spoons can be used to add shininess attracting flatties. i heard that using a slighter lead can help because as it lifts up and down in the tide and gets dragged along with the drift it lifts sand that attracts them. saw some under water footage on utube Fishing for flatfish (GOPRO underwater footage) .m4v - YouTube if that isn't a link copy it. multiple hook rigs can bring double hook ups. worm tipped with a small slither of squid can keep the worm on the hook and and some more smell to the bait although i think flatties are mostly visual hunters. for turbot you'll need stronger gear. they have big mouths so bigger hooks like a 5/0 should be good. a whole mackerel or other oily fish fillet or sliver is a good bait. launce or big sand eels are a great bait, they can be hooked by just the head, but there is many ways, as i said people have different preferences. squid may work but oily fish and ells are best. the weight size depends on the size of the tide and drift speed. too much weight and the sport of catching smaller fish is lost and too little and it'll barely hold bottom and the flatties don't come of the seabed obviously. a long running ledger rig works well as long as the bait is on the bottom. if there is a strong tide then keep the trace shorer because it will drift to high in the water.
conor

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Around Selsey way black and green beads outfished every other colour. Smaller the trace the better, some lads go as short as 12 inches as it keeps the bait nailed to the bottom. We use ragworm tipped with a strip of squid and that works a treat.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Turbot, 4-5ft trace and a 4-5/0 hook. Nice and simple. Use between 30-40lb trace line is all your need. Thin strips of mackerel, or i like to use a launce/sandeel flapper.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Turbot, 4-5ft trace and a 4-5/0 hook. Nice and simple. Use between 30-40lb trace line is all your need. Thin strips of mackerel, or i like to use a launce/sandeel flapper.
Spot on with your two posts IMHO!!:thumbs::thumbs:

Not sure why the short plaice traces work so well, could it be that the weight breaks a few mussels on the way through so having the hook bait near that is a bit like groundbaiting??

·
Registered
583 Posts
Paul,

I fish the same grounds as Skillpot, and yes I had Plaice on green & black my preference is orange & yellow but only 4 beads 2 of each colour, I may not catch as many but this colour combination has certainly sorted out the better fish, my average over the past couple of years has been 3lb+ fish, whilst those around me have had plenty of fish they've generally been smaller 2lb 'ish'. my best session was 6-5, 5-3, 4-14, 4-9, 4-7 & 3-14 in one tide, I had another 21 that day of which 18 were returned as I felt that I had more than enough fillets in the cool box at that stage.

we do use very short traces here off of Sussex and Hampshire, as well as down on the 'Shambles' off Weymouth, but the OP is up in Kent and the posters responding from Kent seem to indicate longer traces work in that area. Horses for courses me thinks, but posts like these do encourage healthy debate.

I was out with Chris Caines last year at the end of September and one guy insisted on using a spreader and he out-fished us that day, every other time I've seen spreaders used on the Shambles the guys have spent most of the day snagged in the bottom!

As for the Turbot, I have to agree with all the advice given, but I do like to try a strip of Garfish, and have had success later in the year with a half fillet cut lengthways from a Scad. Due to its toughness they don't seem able to tear it from the hook and on one occasion the fish came back at the bait 3 times before it finally found the cold steel.

Ian G

·
Registered
25,005 Posts
green and black beads if theres mussels in the area,red/white,plain red,orange red lol the list goes on=this is for plaice. I wouldnt use beads for turbot just the same rig as mentioned by a previous poster,mackeral for bait though live sandeel can be deadly if you can get hold of them.A strip of garfish can be good for turbot.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I echo skillpot and lilbrit rigs.
With the addition that I've done well with frozen raw kingprawn the past year.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
green and black beads if theres mussels in the area,red/white,plain red,orange red lol the list goes on=this is for plaice. I wouldnt use beads for turbot just the same rig as mentioned by a previous poster,mackeral for bait though live sandeel can be deadly if you can get hold of them.A strip of garfish can be good for turbot.
If you think live sandeel can be deadly try a live launce next time you are out on the banks, that is what I had my 8 1/2lb Brill on last year and a good few turbot.

I've made some biggish stainless spoons to try on the turbot this year, I reckon it could well work. One guy who comes to the boat meets had one on a sidewinder drifting the banks a couple of years back. I reckon a lot of the time when you find them feeding they sit just downtide of the top of the ridges and grab at food items as they wash over the top. The sounder screen often fills with bait just downtide of the ridges.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Spot on with your two posts IMHO!!:thumbs::thumbs: Not sure why the short plaice traces work so well, could it be that the weight breaks a few mussels on the way through so having the hook bait near that is a bit like groundbaiting??
That's defo my theory, plaice/turbot/brill are very inquisitive fish, any puff of sand created by the lead (I try and use watch leads for this reason) and they become intrested, followed by a nice juicy bait then they can't resist.

Never tried prawn locally but had a lot of plaice on the plaice beds over Weymouth using them.

·
Registered
699 Posts

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The rigs are as mentioned above spot on...only thing I'd add (and sorry if i missed someone else mentioning it!) is using raw prawns to tip your bait off with...i go with rag, black lug and tipped with prawn, and it certainly picks out the better fish...might not catch as many but they are better

Jim

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Lads thanks for all your Help, can you use a wishbone on a 10ft trace or is it just best to use single hook, reading comments sounds like its best to use lots of different rigs to see what works best for the grounds you are fishing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hi Lads thanks for all your Help, can you use a wishbone on a 10ft trace or is it just best to use single hook, reading comments sounds like its best to use lots of different rigs to see what works best for the grounds you are fishing.
Everybodies got there favourite rigs i guess!

We were drifting for plaice last year. Started with wishbones, there ok but found if the traces on the wishbones are to long they tangled a lot of the time. Keep them fairly short. But in the end changed over to simple zip slider with 3ft trace with beads n spinners. That worked well with no tangles.

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
The craze in the Solent area is a spreader rig, simply this is a stainless wire boom with weight and main line link in the middle, and a 6 inch hook length on the end of each boom. The boom itself is completely threaded with beads. It looks blingy but it works!

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
The craze in the Solent area is a spreader rig, simply this is a stainless wire boom with weight and main line link in the middle, and a 6 inch hook length on the end of each boom. The boom itself is completely threaded with beads. It looks blingy but it works!

Hi Nev,

On this did you put the beads and attractors on the snoods as well?

Cheers,

Mark

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I fish the Shambles for plaice

But I'm useless at it :wallbash:

I catch fish, sometimes good fish, but half the time I've no idea if I have a bite or not - some skippers swear by prawns others "traditional" rag and squid

Does that help at all?:g:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts