World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped my shimano multiplier in salt water yesterday. Took me about 20 minutes to get it fished out again what should I do. Not very confident aboutbstripping down. Or more to the point about putting together again. Advice welcome.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Sorry mate couldn’t resist that one:BigGrin: seriously you need to strip it or it’ll be f####d , I once dunked a good quality penn fs and didn’t strip it, it was nackerd a week later:(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Dunk it in clean fresh water a few times and then drain it out by shaking and rotating it in all directions and then off to a warm location to dry out in a few days. The reel grease and oil is naturally water repellant so it should be fine internally but it will need a service every six months to a year, depending on amount of work it has done.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
It's a saltwater reel and a Shimano, so it can handle stuff like this. Agree with John Ritson - soak in cool (not warm - don't want the grease and oil lifting away) fresh water and allow to dry naturally; oil any moving parts and all should be fine. There only 1BB, the sides are graphite ... these reels are fairly basic, and fairly bombproof.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks just took it apart and cleaned with 3 in 1 oil. Not sure it's put together exactly right again but seems to work. Green corrosion was starting on some parts already.

·
Premium Member
9,311 Posts
Thanks just took it apart and cleaned with 3 in 1 oil. Not sure it's put together exactly right again but seems to work. Green corrosion was starting on some parts already.
Are you sure it was green corrosion and not green grease?, if not to sure i would recommend a reel service as soon as possible.

·
Registered
8,847 Posts
For years we fished with multipliers in our local waters, including some folks using just that model. We would fish in the ocean with the reel nearly permanently under water on some occasions - never a problem provided the reels were given a good wash down with fresh water after the event, and left to air dry. The only real problem came for folks that didn't wash their reels, was that the soft metal shields inside the bearings would corrode and seize the bearings.

Wash with clean water, get rid of all the salt residue, and air dry...……… then go fish.

Reactions: fedstar

·
Registered
262 Posts
If your really worried send it back to Shimano In Swansea and have them give it a full service. Do not leave it to long though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The TR200G are lovely and straight forward to work on. As everyone says give it a good drowning in freshwater and slosh it about in there good and proper, take it out and dry it in a warm place for a few days, I would them suggest to remove the screws one at a time place some grease on them and do them back up, what I really mean is remove screw A grease it and replace it then do screw B, that way you can't mix screws up or the reel come apart. When you retighten the screws do not do them up too tightly as they are metal and the screw holes are plastic and you could strip the screw hole if you do them up too hard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts