World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading a book on fly fishing and the guy who wrote it gave a lot of advice about using droppers and teams on 25ft leaders and so on but neglected to supply any description or pictures of what these things looked like or how to set them up ( he also talked about the best flies for certain times but neglected to include any in the illustated plates)

anybody?

·
Registered
386 Posts
xcrisx, droppers are, in effect, seperate 'snoods', but normally only in freshwater game fishing, i.e, they are individual lengths of leader material of a foot or so which enable different nymphs or wet/dry flies to be used and at various depths. For instance, you may have a buoyant dry fly on the surface and suspend a skinny buzzer below it, or even the above plus another ribbed nymph below it. Hope that makes sense. You can do all this in stillwater fishing or even rivers, but I suppose the nearest we get to in saltwater is a team of feathers for mackerel, but they're normally all the same 'fly', of course.

Which isn't to say we shouldn't experiment with the idea in the sea?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
When fishing for Bass and Pollack I often fish a smaller fly a foot or two in front of the main fly when I know fish are there (following and not taking) it quite often means the difference between a frustrating blank and a good day!It also works when plugging,a delta sandeel 2 feet in front of the plug or popper is often taken instead of the plug!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah i was thinking about using two flys new zealand style for mullet
I'm off to the South Coast tomorrow for the weekend trying for mullet on the fly, they've been getting the better of me to be honest, are any particular flys doing it for you?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Try a maggot or plastic imitation maggot, available from coarse section of tackle shop. I also saw a post the other day where someone said they suspend a small, hooked flake of bread under a floating piece of cob roll, as if it's falling through the water.

Whatever you try, let us know what worked!:secret:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try a maggot or plastic imitation maggot, available from coarse section of tackle shop. I also saw a post the other day where someone said they suspend a small, hooked flake of bread under a floating piece of cob roll, as if it's falling through the water.

Whatever you try, let us know what worked!:secret:
Yeah this is what i was going to reccomend but i have caught mullet on normal freshwater goldheade nymphs and things like that have a go using everything you never know you may come across a killer pattern

1 - 7 of 7 Posts