21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great thread, thanks for posting.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Very good post- saw the title and it took me straight back to a school holiday when I was at primary school. Lad in my class had jumped in the pool and all I saw was him dog paddle then what looked like treading water badly. wasn't until he went under and stayed under and a teacher dived in we realised he'd been drowning. He was hauled out in time and started fitting which was a bit shocking to watch as a nipper.

·
Registered
380 Posts
a few years ago I managed to save a young boy in a pool surrounded by 20 or so people who never saw it happen.

after being in the navy (small ships) and having my own boat, I put it down to my 'sea eyes' that saved the wee guy.

never ever under estimate the power of the elements

·
Registered
90 Posts
Superb Post....fortunately the one incident I was involved in had a more positive but albeit, embarrassing outcome....
Many years ago at our annual summer Regatta I saw what I thought was a teenage girl in our local lake who seemed to be in some distress . I jumped in (wearing shorts and tee shirt) from a floating dock, had barely swum three strokes towards her when I heard my wife yell from the dock "Its a demo, ya bloody idiot"..........Ummmmm.....

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
Superb Post.
I Very Sadly was involved with the Events that took place up in Gareloch only 3weeks ago 3 SMALL CHILDREN and 1Adult Drowned in what looked liked a Idilic bit of Water The Kids only had Life Preservers on and the Adults NOTHING AT ALL.
How it all CAN GO SO WRONG.
That is so sad ?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Excellent post, cannot agree more about this subject.
I have also seen this effect, on a calm still "lido" in London and in a swimming pool. Luckily on both occasions I was able to render assistance from some training in a basic lifeguards exam taken years ago.
People seem to think water is something they can play with, without respect. A truly dangeous assumption, especially if it concernes your children. Mine were taught to swim and respect water from an early age because an incident in a swimming pool had me almost drown with no one noticing until the last minute. I did not/still do not fancy them being in the same position as myself.
Now take this to the sea and the dangers increase 100 fold.

Parents need to be extra vigiliant, not relaxed when on the beach.
Children need to be taught to swim as soon as possible and use floatation devices when in surf and playing about in it.
Others should be aware of those about, just in case you may be a "hero" to someone. No heriocis really, just observation and respect.
Life preservers worn when needed and in some cases anyway.

Sorry for the essay. Have also been in a position to watch a drowning and not be able to do a thing.

Tight lines, and be safe out there.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
This happened years ago, around 30 years.I was on holiday with the Kids in Wales.Cardigan Bay. The Mrs had gone to the bank so I went to have a look over the bay with the kids.2 lads and a girl appeared, the lads strip down to their boxers and start swimming across the bay, one of them stopped, he was about 30 meters out, I clearly heard him say "Oh,God" then he was gone, no thrashing no waving, I was there another 20 minutes and he hadnt been seen so I assumed the worst.

Alcohol may have been involved in this one, as could shock due to the water temperature, but it does sort of replicate the views of the OP. The innocence of children, my 7 year old daughter asked when we got back in the car "Dad, will the fishes be eating him now?"

·
Registered
565 Posts
im on the west coast of Norway - a man was out on a fishing trip from a nearby harbour - the boat was very old, everyone knew him.
Some friends on their way back spotted him standing on the roof of his "shark" waving. (A shark is a small norwegian fishing boat) They waved back thinking he was just being friendly and drove on.
What they didnt know was that the boat was seriously holed and taking on water, he was waving for help.

Some hours later they started searching for him,,,Called in divers and eventually found his boat on the sea floor with him still in it - apparently he had gone into the cabin at the last moment and the windows had imploded cutting him so badly he quickly lost conciousness.

Life jackets, radio, everyone talks about these things but what would have saved him was a rocket or flare. Since then i allways have them - perhaps thats why up til now ive never needed them.

·
Registered
19,589 Posts
A few weeks back some kids were jumping into the water at the Portsmouth harbour mouth, they got into trouble in the water and apparently some of them along with a guy who dived in to try and help drowned.

We can never give the water too much respect when we go on to it!!!
:( Jumping into the water at Portsmouth Harbour entrance is banned but nobody does anything about it and I've never heard of anybody being prosecuted so I assume it rates about the same as cycling on the pavement in the police's list of things to watch out for. :(

21 - 34 of 34 Posts