World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got myself a kayak this year and was wondering what's the better option drysuit or wetsuit? Watching you-tube it looks like most prefer drysuits, whats the advantages of a drysuit? I'm probably only going to be using it up to october @ the latest.........any suggestions?cheers

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Advantages of a drysuit: Keeps you dry, and very very warm If you wear an under suit.. or anything as you can wear what ever you like under it. Using one in sub zero conditions is still ok as you just wear more under garments.

Disadvantages of a drysuit: Is generally more expensive, If you rip it it becomes useless until its fixed. If you need to take a leak out on the water without a pea valve or zip you must wear a adult diper (lol-get one with a pee zip), slightly bulkier than a wetsuit.

Advantages of a wetsuit: Is cheap, if it gets a hole in it, it does not matter. Smaller over your skin.

Disadvantages of a wetsuit: you get wet and can look like a prune lol., on long trips it can rub on "areas". Generally harder to take off. If using one for all year naturally you cant just build up layers. So one for summer, one for winter. Even a summer one with spray tops and over trousers wont be warm enough in mid winter. If you need a leak on the water well you know the answer to this one.

Personally Drysuit all the way. For most of the year. I've got a gul scapa (with pee zip) and is a very nice suit. Escape water sports are doing them for 300 atm in XL (dont know what size you are but shop around and have a look.) I also bought myself a 20 quid shorty wetsuit off flee bay for mid summer when its too hot for most things. But i'll probably only use it above about 28 degrees... Also if you get a drysuit get one with fabric socks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh was favouring a drysuit just for the ease of taking it off!! Didn't think at all of a pee zip(didn't realise they did them). You say get 1 with fabric socks whys this? was looking @ the typhoon 1 which is cut off at the ankle!!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Fabric socks breath, latex socks don't. If you want cut offs go for it, just be prepared to get some very warm boots. I fish usually with both feet in the water so feet are in the sea for 80% of the time. I prefer dry feet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts