World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Managed to squeeze a session out of Dunbar in the boat today (actually yesterday I guess, since the clock says it's after midnight) between work, family and weather. Wind was a LOT stiffer than the Beeb / met office forecast... But still fishable (just...) Glad the boat can take more than me, but by 2pm, I'd had more than enough:uhoh:. Lumpy seas plus hangover do NOT mix!:yucky: And with swell from the East and 'chop' from the South, the water was very confused indeed.:eek:hnoes:

Managed about ten decent sized cod:victory: and perhaps twenty small ones between the three of us (only four taken for the table by my two crew - they're beginning to learn and appreciate my own views on killing fish unnecessarily...)

BUT NO MACKEREL! Last time out (maybe four weeks back), I had trouble getting through 'em! Where did they all go? :confused:

Also used a 'proper' spinning outfit (not the daft wee telescopic job I used last time out) and aced a couple of very nice pollack, again on a white redgill. Best weighed in (thanks simon!) at 3.2kg. Which just shades the seven pound mark. On 10lb line, and a 1oz lead, Absolutely F*ing brilliant. They could have heard my laughter back in Dunbar:roll1:. Fantastic fun:clap2:. The crash diving feels SO much more powerful on light tackle than it does on conventional boat gear! And the adrenaline boost when the line 'zizzes' from the reel against the drag:yahoo:. Wow. And both swam strongly when returned. I'm definitely hooked on this now.

Having photobucket problems, and the camera battery needs charged, so I'll maybe try to post the pics the morra (later today..).

G'nite one and all

Stevie the (pollacking) nittenbill

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Good result there, the wind is not so good for us this side of the Firth. Was watching a guy in a small boat pulling his creels at Elie, I could of thrown up just watching him! Never mind I'm sure the wind will stop blowing soon. I know what you mean about the pollock awesome power and great fun on light tackle.

·
Specimen Hunter
3,276 Posts
well done Steven gd to see you enjoying some great sport :)

·
Registered
468 Posts
Sounds like another good outing. Your weather forecast was pretty accurate with those winds. I must have a go at that spinning malarky. A good size of pollock for that light gear and I can imagine the holler you let out.

Did the Mackie Bait work out OK. It was a bit soft I thought. Glad to hear the scales worked OK. It will be good to measure a few just to keep the guestimates accurate.

Well done and look forward to another trip out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Also used a 'proper' spinning outfit (not the daft wee telescopic job I used last time out) and aced a couple of very nice pollack, again on a white redgill. Best weighed in (thanks simon!) at 3.2kg. Which just shades the seven pound mark. On 10lb line, and a 1oz lead, Absolutely F*ing brilliant.Stevie the (pollacking) nittenbill
Nice pollack and a great way of catching them.

Can I suggest trying 8lb braid on your reel for the pollack the difference is unbelievable you feel every head rattle of those angry fish.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Managed to squeeze a session out of Dunbar in the boat today (actually yesterday I guess, since the clock says it's after midnight) between work, family and weather. Wind was a LOT stiffer than the Beeb / met office forecast... But still fishable (just...) Glad the boat can take more than me, but by 2pm, I'd had more than enough:uhoh:. Lumpy seas plus hangover do NOT mix!:yucky: And with swell from the East and 'chop' from the South, the water was very confused indeed.:eek:hnoes:

Managed about ten decent sized cod:victory: and perhaps twenty small ones between the three of us (only four taken for the table by my two crew - they're beginning to learn and appreciate my own views on killing fish unnecessarily...)

BUT NO MACKEREL! Last time out (maybe four weeks back), I had trouble getting through 'em! Where did they all go? :confused:

Also used a 'proper' spinning outfit (not the daft wee telescopic job I used last time out) and aced a couple of very nice pollack, again on a white redgill. Best weighed in (thanks simon!) at 3.2kg. Which just shades the seven pound mark. On 10lb line, and a 1oz lead, Absolutely F*ing brilliant. They could have heard my laughter back in Dunbar:roll1:. Fantastic fun:clap2:. The crash diving feels SO much more powerful on light tackle than it does on conventional boat gear! And the adrenaline boost when the line 'zizzes' from the reel against the drag:yahoo:. Wow. And both swam strongly when returned. I'm definitely hooked on this now.

Having photobucket problems, and the camera battery needs charged, so I'll maybe try to post the pics the morra (later today..).

G'nite one and all

Stevie the (pollacking) nittenbill
hi mate,it's great fun on the spinning rod! my penn 12/20 braid international rod is almost redundant! only called on now when drift is too fast for spinning rod, i'm using 13lb braid on my baitcaster cos i got it free from bfm, when it's done i'll try a bit lighter. one thing tho i've noticed from fishing this light is that i hardly ever lose the bigger fish cos of the elasticity of the light rod whereas with the heavier rod the bigger fish would often rip themselves off the hook or straighten it, especially if your fishing for cod with a tighter drag and not really expecting pollack and then a pollack hits! :boat:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts