World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im heading out from dunbar on sunday coming wanted to know if anybody was out sunday past and what the fishing was like?

cheers Fraser

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi fatpat,

I was out on my own boat this afternoon and had 14 codling, most small but the best 6lb+. Also a small pollock, pouting and ling. Most of the fish came off an inshore wreck, with only a couple of fish from the rough ground.

If you're on a charter boat you might struggle a bit for fish - they seemed fairly thin on the ground still (although today's the best fishing I've had in April from Dunbar). Another 2-3 weeks should make a big difference.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hah, hah - no I didn't keep any! I don't keep that many anyway, and not normally at the start of the season as I find they tend to be a bit on the thin side.

The family might've turned their noses up as well, but I doubt very much if there's any real problem. After all, you're simply going back in time a decade or so to when much more sewage was dumped at sea, and only for a couple of days while they fixed the pumps. Dunbar's also 30 miles away, which gives a fair bit of dilution.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi fatpat,

I was out on my own boat this afternoon and had 14 codling, most small but the best 6lb+. Also a small pollock, pouting and ling. Most of the fish came off an inshore wreck, with only a couple of fish from the rough ground.

If you're on a charter boat you might struggle a bit for fish - they seemed fairly thin on the ground still (although today's the best fishing I've had in April from Dunbar). Another 2-3 weeks should make a big difference.

it is a charter boat im going out on, but we will see what happens - as long as the weathers ok it will be fine, whats the best bait this time of year for the cod, usually fish mid to late summer

thanks for all the replies.
Fraser

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hi Fraser,
Most of the fish came to a small Norwegian pirk baited with a small mackerel strip. The rest were on hokkais baited with a little lug or mackerel.

I find the baits early on are pretty much the same as during the summer to be honest - maybe more inclined to use jellies or shads once the fish are established by late May. Also larger mackerel baits to pick up ling.

The comment about the charter boat was more on account of the fish being fairly scarce, and then divided 10 or 12 ways. On a dinghy they get divided 1 or 2 ways - if there ain't many about it does make a difference to your chances.

Good luck anyway - and the numbers should be increasing daily from now on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts