World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks
I’m new to sea fishing in general.

I’ll be spending a good few days over the next wee while in Newcastle, Co. Down.

Any good spots around the Newcastle area (except the main NC harbour) that would be good and easy to begin at?
Also, on the way into Newcastle I’ve noticed the water at Dundrum and thought about giving it a go if it’s possible?

Any recommendations and advice keenly taken on board.

Thanks.

· Registered
64 Posts
Alright folks
I’m new to sea fishing in general.

I’ll be spending a good few days over the next wee while in Newcastle, Co. Down.

Any good spots around the Newcastle area (except the main NC harbour) that would be good and easy to begin at?
Also, on the way into Newcastle I’ve noticed the water at Dundrum and thought about giving it a go if it’s possible?

Any recommendations and advice keenly taken on board.

Thanks.
Hi mate, i havnt been near the big arched bridge at dundrum in years, but any time i checked it out there was loads of mullet of a good size swimming either side of the bridge. Hard buggers to catch i believe, but ive never fished for them. Check it out for yourself, worth a try;
billy

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi mate, i havnt been near the big arched bridge at dundrum in years, but any time i checked it out there was loads of mullet of a good size swimming either side of the bridge. Hard buggers to catch i believe, but ive never fished for them. Check it out for yourself, worth a try;
billy
Thanks for the reply.
I’ll give it a go for sure. Where exactly is the arched bridge in Dundrum

· Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I’ll give it a go for sure. Where exactly is the arched bridge in Dundrum
You can see it from the main Dundrum Newcastle road. It’s just on your way out of dundrum on your way to Newcastle on your left (towards the sea). There’s a small road to it and you can park near it or park on the main road and walk. Salmon and sea trout travel under that bridge in season

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can see it from the main Dundrum Newcastle road. It’s just on your way out of dundrum on your way to Newcastle on your left (towards the sea). There’s a small road to it and you can park near it or park on the main road and walk. Salmon and sea trout travel under that bridge in season
Thanks again.

Would You need a license or permit then incase you hook into a salmon or sea Trout?

· Registered
2,166 Posts
Thanks again.

Would You need a license or permit then incase you hook into a salmon or sea Trout?
The license is to facilitate the intentional fishing for salmon or sea trout, if you were to be fishing for mullet but hook into a game species then who are they to say you were intentionally fishing for them, don't keep, just release any game species and they will be none the wiser.

· Registered
64 Posts
Thanks again.

I’m not sure, but would be safer to have one. I always have one as I do a lot of trout fishing.
Is this the bridge in question?
No mate, its a much bigger one out in the bay at the other side of the road, closer to dundrum

· Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yes the main bridge that crosses over to the land on the other side.
Thanks for that!

I done a bit more research online and apparently as recent as a month ago the locals say there’s only crabs left in The water, hasn’t been fish passing through in a while.

I’ll take a run up while down that direction and have a look for myself

Thanks again folks

· Registered
64 Posts
Oh yes the main bridge that crosses over to the land on the other side.
Thanks for that!

I done a bit more research online and apparently as recent as a month ago the locals say there’s only crabs left in The water, hasn’t been fish passing through in a while.

I’ll take a run up while down that direction and have a look for myself

Thanks again folks
Sorry to hear that mate. Take a wee look when the tide is lowish. The mullet used to be always be there. Salmon still go under it, as the river with the other arches, in your photo was polluted a few years ago and there was a fish kill including salmon. Dont always trust what locals say lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.