World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my first trip to dungeness on saturday. Got bait from Seagull tackle (great bloke, very friendly). Drove to the point and went through the gate to park the car at the point. Lovely sunny day, but the wind was something else. Basically if it wasn't nailed down you lost it. Braved the wind for 3 hrs then drove back to london with no fish and windburn to boot. Quite disappointed i had no fish but i thought the point was great, power station, lighthouse and some really obscure houses / bungalows there.
I won't be beaten though, i'm going again the week after next..
Used lug tipped with squid. Couldn't detect bites really as rod was moving quite a bit in the wind, only just about held bottom with a seven ounce grip. As for casting, i think i was lucky if i was hitting 50-60 yards. Mind you probably wasn't the best day to try my new rod (greys apollo m2), it felt really strange compared to my usual lightweight supercast x..

Anyone else fish there?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Yeah its a good spot when the conditions are great. Be careful next time you go as that gate you went through gets locked at random.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
There is some great fishing at dungie (i live near by). Join the Dungeness Angling Association (£5 at seagull tackle) and get a key to the gate.
You were really unlucky to blank but this is about the worst time of year. Try night fishing over a low tide next time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's a shame Harvoir, but it sounds purely down to the weeather to me. I went down to Admiralty Pier (Dover) on Friday night in similar winds. Waves eventually crashing over the pier, sea like a scene from A Perfect Storm! The 7oz spiked weights perfectly useless, being pushed back to the pier wall about 5 seconds after being cast out. It was futile staying around. One chap caught a doggie tho - the only fish man, or is it mad enough, to stay shallow!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is some great fishing at dungie (i live near by). Join the Dungeness Angling Association (£5 at seagull tackle) and get a key to the gate.
You were really unlucky to blank but this is about the worst time of year. Try night fishing over a low tide next time.

I did join the D.A.A, a fiver well spent, was able to park right next to the shingle. Thanks to everyone on here for the advice in the past few weeks, i'm looking forward to a return trip very soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a shame Harvoir, but it sounds purely down to the weeather to me. I went down to Admiralty Pier (Dover) on Friday night in similar winds. Waves eventually crashing over the pier, sea like a scene from A Perfect Storm! The 7oz spiked weights perfectly useless, being pushed back to the pier wall about 5 seconds after being cast out. It was futile staying around. One chap caught a doggie tho - the only fish man, or is it mad enough, to stay shallow!

Actually, one more question. Why do people fish so far from the waters edge in dungeness?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Actually, one more question. Why do people fish so far from the waters edge in dungeness?
Because Dungeness is such a steep beach, it helps to keep your line out of the breakers. it also stops you needing to move every 5 minutes when the tide is pushing.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
How far out at Dungie does the shingle stop and the mud begins?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
It depends on where you are but at the point there is about 25-26 meters of water at 100meters from the low tide mark and the beach slopes down to this depth where the sea bed is fine sand, clay and mud. Its difficult to say where the shingle stops and the clay begins but it is somewhere up this slope which is at its steepest at the point. My best guess is that it is some tens of meters below the low water mark. To get a true appreciation of the gradients and depths involved take a look at a nautical chart for the area.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi guys,

Know exactly what you mean it is a very unique place to fish. I have had the luck of being able to fish there three times in the last weekor so too and hope to have a return visit in the very near future as had thouroughly enjoyable time.
The locations that I have fished were "The Dustbin" The Point and behind the power station. But know what you mean about it being about the weather there lol lol.

Last night the 18th march we (I was fishing with a DAF member and a mate from Canterbury who is a WSF forum member) started behind the power station at around 8pm ht was around 10.45ishpm and was greeted by standing seas and a cutting wind. Hm really I suppose we shoud have called it there and then but hey nothing like a challenge lol lol but it did however settle down at high tide and even the wind dropped substantialy but alas blanked and did loose 4 lots of gear under the shingle - so if any one finds size 6/8 oz impact leads with pennell rigs on ............ lol lol.
My mates toddled off at first light and I moved round to "The Dustbin" and
by then the wind had veered round and was comming from behind so had a very comfortable days fishing with a much calmer sea and a fair amount of sun and shelter form the wind provided by the shingle bank.
Using local lug and pennel and one up two down rigs had a reasonabley sucessfull day although all small stuff and no keepers caught doggies, whiting,rockling and codling - all went back too. Pushed off around fourish as had long drive home and after nearly 21 hrs went home weary,happy and satisfied with a fair amount of wind and sunburn. lol lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It depends on where you are but at the point there is about 25-26 meters of water at 100meters from the low tide mark and the beach slopes down to this depth where the sea bed is fine sand, clay and mud. Its difficult to say where the shingle stops and the clay begins but it is somewhere up this slope which is at its steepest at the point. My best guess is that it is some tens of meters below the low water mark. To get a true appreciation of the gradients and depths involved take a look at a nautical chart for the area.

interesting point, where can you get nautical charts? The guy in Seagull tackle showed me some sort of chart on saturday when i fished dungie. Very interesting..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts