World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just got back fom the pescatorial oasis they call Dungeness.
Arrived at about 5pm on Friday , walked to the rear of the power station, to find the usual oriental family spread out and feathers missiling into the ebbing sea. They were out in numbers again but I really couldnt see any makkies being caught. Well I thought I would have a go and this time I had a fine array of feathers, sabikis and all sorts of spinners, wedges and artificial fish like bits. No improvisation today I thought. Well first cast produced a monster makkie but the next 20 or so failed to produce anything. 3 anglers fishing to my right were pulling them in 3 or 4 at a time, me , nothing.
I thought I'd better look around for discarded silvery bits and make my own but I persivered and located a shoal. None of the majestic headdancing of Wednesday, these makkies were afraid of the light and kept deep. Not a sprat or fry in sight. Still the makkies began to play and very soon I had enough for my needs. I took the feathers off and from experience knew that I would have to wait for the light to fade before a bait was touched so thought I would have a play. I tied on a dexter wedge and almost as it hit the water something connected. A bass I thought , some deep dives , boring to the bottom,. My catch didnt want to give in too easily so a little pressure was appled, not too much as I didnt want to lose a half decent bass through bullying . And then there it was , not a silver bar of loveliness but a huge and skinny green bones, a gar. It must of realised I was not so happy as it decided to entertain and it gave a leap , like a minature marlin. Soon it was on the beach and had somhow managed to snap it lower beak. Not much point in returning my prize so he was retained as a bait of of delicate taste for something a little bigger later on in the year.
The light was fading so the rods were prepared to fish for sole. Inch long pieces of black lug on one rod whilst similar sized morsals of rag were tempters on the other. The rag gently guided to an area of sand that was being exposed as the tide reached its lowest point.No casting here the fish can be right by your feet. The lug cast into the distance . Rattle, stop, rattle then a steady pull and my membership to the Dungy Sole Brigade was renewed.Not a big fish , about a pound with that sad little smile on it. Back to grow bigger. The other rod knocking like mad and up came the first of many whiting.Oh no. Then it was whiting followed by whiting and in between I caught whiting. A few were real grownups, I had one of about a pound and half.This now laying in a very cold place in my freezer.This species was interupted by a few pout, big uns at that and a rockling, slippery and ugly as hell.
I then had a couple of dabs, transparent, I wonder if they had recently spawned and had not yet put on any meat.
Then a very small schoolie, so pretty and beautifully lip hooked so she was quickly returned.
A slow tugging of the lug rod followed by a few gentle plucks revealed that something was pulling at my bait. Very soon a second sole was lying on the shingle. this one bigger but longer and of a size that allowed me to take him home.
And that really was about it .2 of my target species,lots of makkies, huge amounts of whiting,possibly 80+, a basslet I fell in love with and lets not forget that energetic green bones.
Excellent night and very enjoyable.
On my way back along the beach I met up with Ragworm 2008 or Len to his mates. What should I call him. He had fared about the same in the makkie and whiting staked but was trying like mad for that elusive sole.Anyway great to meet up with forum members. He had noticed my bronze Mk 111 Cortina in the car park. A bit jealous I thought as he only had a merc. ha ha.
As we were talking we saw one of the oriental chaps, cutting bits off of a makkie that he had caught earlier, not cooked but raw.Uhhhhghhhh

Next time I think about a forum sole meet it would be nice to have more than two.Come on boys lets get on the beach together. .......................

Why the hell havnt I gone to bed. I must be mad just like the wife says....................................:busted_co

·
Registered
151 Posts
nice one gene couldnt make last nite but outlaws go home tomorrow so going to try for my membership to the sole club tomorrow night

·
Banned
755 Posts
Hi Gene :wave:
Well well, sounds like a busy night again my man, and 6 species is a fine show, well done. Although Whiting may not have been the target, they are very obliging and keep you busy. Well done on the Sole. :thumbs: The catching of the Gar sounds great, they do perform, and they taste good too.

A shame more forum members couldnt make it, or perhaps they did, and you just didnt meet up. Still, nevermind, a good night nevertheless.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hey chaps

I think i might of inadvertently been on your Sole meet, I fished up at the diamond, or there 'bouts'. I started at 11pm and finished at 2 am ( I had my youngest with me) he got cold so wanted to go, same story with the Y-tings, obliging little buggers, alas I didn't see any sole, or dabs or Bass or indeed Pouting. I think there may have been other species about, just couldn't get through the Y-tings.

Better than being at home drunk, or sat in front of the goggle box, or indeed drunk sat in front of the goggle box.

FF

·
Banned
755 Posts
Hey chaps

I think i might of inadvertently been on your Sole meet, I fished up at the diamond, or there 'bouts'. I started at 11pm and finished at 2 am ( I had my youngest with me) he got cold so wanted to go, same story with the Y-tings, obliging little buggers, alas I didn't see any sole, or dabs or Bass or indeed Pouting. I think there may have been other species about, just couldn't get through the Y-tings.

Better than being at home drunk, or sat in front of the goggle box, or indeed drunk sat in front of the goggle box.

FF
Hi bud,
Thats a long ol' stomp to the'diamond', or did you drive along the concrete road.
Wish i'd gone fishing, i got drunk instead, and you are right, the fishing was a much better option.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[Both soles were caught at less than 3 rod lengths out. Real close.........................................................Need to sleep.:busted_co

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
a really good report top man:clap: and so meny fish lol and well done on the soles:thumbs: i had a mk3 cortina in the day not a bad motor in its day my van iv got now is faster :wheelchaithen the car was lol will really have to get back to the ness i need to fined my sole:drunk::drunk:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hi bud,
Thats a long ol' stomp to the'diamond', or did you drive along the concrete road.
Wish i'd gone fishing, i got drunk instead, and you are right, the fishing was a much better option.
I opted for the hardcore option, Denge to the diamond, character building. that's what I told my ten yr old ( not that he moaned at all), according to
Google Earth 648 meters to the Diamond from Denge across shingle whereas Dungeness to the Diamond is 1.12 miles ?

I didn't know you could drive down the concrete road ?

Alan

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Hi all. Just got back fom the pescatorial oasis they call Dungeness.
Arrived at about 5pm on Friday , walked to the rear of the power station, to find the usual oriental family spread out and feathers missiling into the ebbing sea. They were out in numbers again but I really couldnt see any makkies being caught. Well I thought I would have a go and this time I had a fine array of feathers, sabikis and all sorts of spinners, wedges and artificial fish like bits. No improvisation today I thought. Well first cast produced a monster makkie but the next 20 or so failed to produce anything. 3 anglers fishing to my right were pulling them in 3 or 4 at a time, me , nothing.
I thought I'd better look around for discarded silvery bits and make my own but I persivered and located a shoal. None of the majestic headdancing of Wednesday, these makkies were afraid of the light and kept deep. Not a sprat or fry in sight. Still the makkies began to play and very soon I had enough for my needs. I took the feathers off and from experience knew that I would have to wait for the light to fade before a bait was touched so thought I would have a play. I tied on a dexter wedge and almost as it hit the water something connected. A bass I thought , some deep dives , boring to the bottom,. My catch didnt want to give in too easily so a little pressure was appled, not too much as I didnt want to lose a half decent bass through bullying . And then there it was , not a silver bar of loveliness but a huge and skinny green bones, a gar. It must of realised I was not so happy as it decided to entertain and it gave a leap , like a minature marlin. Soon it was on the beach and had somhow managed to snap it lower beak. Not much point in returning my prize so he was retained as a bait of of delicate taste for something a little bigger later on in the year.
The light was fading so the rods were prepared to fish for sole. Inch long pieces of black lug on one rod whilst similar sized morsals of rag were tempters on the other. The rag gently guided to an area of sand that was being exposed as the tide reached its lowest point.No casting here the fish can be right by your feet. The lug cast into the distance . Rattle, stop, rattle then a steady pull and my membership to the Dungy Sole Brigade was renewed.Not a big fish , about a pound with that sad little smile on it. Back to grow bigger. The other rod knocking like mad and up came the first of many whiting.Oh no. Then it was whiting followed by whiting and in between I caught whiting. A few were real grownups, I had one of about a pound and half.This now laying in a very cold place in my freezer.This species was interupted by a few pout, big uns at that and a rockling, slippery and ugly as hell.
I then had a couple of dabs, transparent, I wonder if they had recently spawned and had not yet put on any meat.
Then a very small schoolie, so pretty and beautifully lip hooked so she was quickly returned.
A slow tugging of the lug rod followed by a few gentle plucks revealed that something was pulling at my bait. Very soon a second sole was lying on the shingle. this one bigger but longer and of a size that allowed me to take him home.
And that really was about it .2 of my target species,lots of makkies, huge amounts of whiting,possibly 80+, a basslet I fell in love with and lets not forget that energetic green bones.
Excellent night and very enjoyable.
On my way back along the beach I met up with Ragworm 2008 or Len to his mates. What should I call him. He had fared about the same in the makkie and whiting staked but was trying like mad for that elusive sole.Anyway great to meet up with forum members. He had noticed my bronze Mk 111 Cortina in the car park. A bit jealous I thought as he only had a merc. ha ha.
As we were talking we saw one of the oriental chaps, cutting bits off of a makkie that he had caught earlier, not cooked but raw.Uhhhhghhhh

Next time I think about a forum sole meet it would be nice to have more than two.Come on boys lets get on the beach together. .......................

Why the hell havnt I gone to bed. I must be mad just like the wife says....................................:busted_co

graham you may call me len lol as for the old cortina well they were a pretty car in there day but my merc is the nuts m8 lol so :bleh: and yes your report was spot on you says it as you sees it m8 and i cant argue with any thing it was a whiting evening for me 34 of the buggers and one dab it was huge oh ok 4 inches to be truthfull lol you could see right through it it was so thin oh by the way graham theres a rumor that you got sushi for brekkers tomorrow:whistling pmsl tight lines all

psssst did you notice the gate was locked on the way out :clap::clap::clap: see they can do it if they try lol

G

·
good report graham.i'll phone u tomorrow,let u sleep!!

me and a few off here and a couple of mates that don't use this forum will be down there next saturday afternoon/evening.will be fishing till 1am.

personally i think it's a better sole tide than this weekend.we'll have to wait and see....:)

anyone else wanna go?:unsure:

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I could manage an evening session but work beckons the following day. Damn it why not.....:busted_co

1 - 12 of 12 Posts