World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So. Ive spent weeks and weeks targeting a half decent bass. It has NOT gone well .
But i never ever give up on a target.

Fished shoreham west arm tursday snd friday , more to test my suit than anything, and didnt have my target species.

Ive been struggling the last few sessions up there to get a livebait, and was feeling very down in the dumps about what i was doing wrong.

Decided to give dungeness power station a go , which ive never fished.
First off, the guy in seagull forgot my mackerel, which is what i wanted to fish close in , mackerel heads, so the missus drove and got me some nearly 24z mackerel! Far to big and 13 quids worth !! First crapper of the day. Then proceeded to crack off 2 rigs in 4 casts.

FUMING NOW.
Then ontop of that , my phone died , with like 26 percent , so couldnt even contact my pal who was gonna come, or my lift home !!!

the weather really started to settle and i was getting my baits stripped, which i was kind of happy about as i knew when darkness fell i could get some whiting .

I really wished my dad came yesterday , dunno why i proper missed him, was very much his sort of venue.

So , managed to get 1 livebait that hadnt commited suicide on my baits, and flicked it out 15 yards , on my same 3/0 pulley pennel. Just nose hooked and pennel hook left dangling

10 minutes in, the rod hoops over, and i strike into ....mm NOTHING !!! My first ever take on a livebait i was shaking with excitement, couldnt tonight be the night ???
WHY DIDNT I PUT MY LIVEBAIT RIG ON FFS ! cast him back out, a gentle sideways chuck so he didnt burst on collision with the water lol, and then my scratching rod started vibrating
Finally got another good livey.

Pulled out my size 6/0 sakuma running ledger rig, which i made just for livebaiting , and quickly hooked my little whiting through the nostril , and boy was he lively.

1 minute after it hitting the water, the cobra's hooped over again , and this time i connect !!!

YESSSSSSSSS
YESSSSSSSSSSSSS
i went mental haha, in the pitch black , she ran up and down the beach a few times, mad jumping and splashing as was only in 4ft of water .
Was all over i probably 45 seconds. And when she was on the shingle, i lost my mind haha

No giant to you guys ,but a hard worked for target hit.

2z shy of my dads, 3lb 12z and the exact length of my seatbox !!!!

The liths next to me lost their mind with me
"Farkin ell mayd , dat is too kilo seabarse!!!"

She was very very long!

She was dunked into my juge livebait bucket with aerator pump while i composed myself.

Th cobra gt's soft tip coupled with the buttery drag of the penn battle 2 were really nice for that 45 seconds lol

My biggest bass ive weighed, had one around the 4lb mark from shoreham 410 days ago

I count this as my pb though

Long time spent searching for this
Hopefully a few more the next couple of weeks !!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,064 Posts
Livebait rigs always worth a go down down there Close in. Especially during daylight hours when there are loads of mackeral about. Even better at dusk though.

About 4 years ago a mate of mine asked me if there were any mackeral about And I informed him that there were loads being caught behind the power station.

He went down there with just one rod/some feathers/and a cool bag to keep the fish fresh. I was out on Fair Chance Plaice fishing on the Bullock that day also.

Got a txt alert from mate and said to Becky Lee "looks like Darren has caught some Mackerel then". When i opened the message there was a pic of him holding a very nice Bass.

Turns out that there were 5hitloads of Mackerel being caught all along the beach And some big swirls from Bass very close in.
By this time Darren had caught enough Mackerel and wanted to try for the Bass that were very obviously active.

Problem was that he had only taken feathering gear with him But managed to find a rig in a side pocket of his bag that might do the trick. Hmm this rig consisted of a 3oz lead 12lb bs fluro carbon trace and a size 4 hook that he uses for Black Bream off the boat in Littlehampton.

He duly lip hooked a Makkie and dropped it out about 10 yards. Had a take almost instantly after a brief tussle and a soaking landed a Bass in excess of 8lb.

What a lucky bar stard. Obviously not the ideal rig But when your lucks in etc. Was reported on the Seagull tackle website.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Excellent bass, well done. It’s always good when a plan comes good.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Try a circled hook as your top hook when live baiting dom, found them to have better hook up rates myself, nice fish though,patience paid off in the end, aaron420 lol

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Now that was an exiting read and a good report.

Nice bass too.

I can understand your excitement.

Well done.

:)

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just tied a load of whiting bashing rigs , big hooks so they dont deep hook, and can use them on my new 6/0 livebait rigs. Spent alot of time catfishing with livebaits, tweaked rigs to minimize tangling and increase hookups, excited is an understatement !!

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Just tied a load of whiting bashing rigs , big hooks so they dont deep hook, and can use them on my new 6/0 livebait rigs. Spent alot of time catfishing with livebaits, tweaked rigs to minimize tangling and increase hookups, excited is an understatement !!
Care to show us the rig fella ?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im gonna go today, but with the wind unsure as to where ! Apparently theyve been having it off on cod at frinton, but wind will be straight from behind me :cautious:

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
Im gonna go today, but with the wind unsure as to where ! Apparently theyve been having it off on cod at frinton, but wind will be straight from behind me :cautious:
tailwind , ?? get your rs down there quick then , all those extra yds, my fave !!
What sort of size we talking ?
( bells rattles bright shiny green rods you indeed are now a fully fledged sea angler lol )

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Livebait rigs always worth a go down down there Close in. Especially during daylight hours when there are loads of mackeral about. Even better at dusk though.

About 4 years ago a mate of mine asked me if there were any mackeral about And I informed him that there were loads being caught behind the power station.

He went down there with just one rod/some feathers/and a cool bag to keep the fish fresh. I was out on Fair Chance Plaice fishing on the Bullock that day also.

Got a txt alert from mate and said to Becky Lee "looks like Darren has caught some Mackerel then". When i opened the message there was a pic of him holding a very nice Bass.

Turns out that there were 5hitloads of Mackerel being caught all along the beach And some big swirls from Bass very close in.
By this time Darren had caught enough Mackerel and wanted to try for the Bass that were very obviously active.

Problem was that he had only taken feathering gear with him But managed to find a rig in a side pocket of his bag that might do the trick. Hmm this rig consisted of a 3oz lead 12lb bs fluro carbon trace and a size 4 hook that he uses for Black Bream off the boat in Littlehampton.

He duly lip hooked a Makkie and dropped it out about 10 yards. Had a take almost instantly after a brief tussle and a soaking landed a Bass in excess of 8lb.

What a lucky bar stard. Obviously not the ideal rig But when your lucks in etc. Was reported on the Seagull tackle website.
And yes he is a lucky barsteward lol

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Care to show us the rig fella ?
This is the business end. 40lb stiff snood, 6/0 circle hook / 5/0 manta tied on carpy style and shrink tubed offset. This WILL improve hookup rates. Rattle will also cause reaction strikes to fish that otherwise would of swam past just seeing an injured baitfish. Predatory fish respond hugely to aggitating noises. 4ft hooklengths, tied onto an 80lb stiff 2ft section with HUGE rubber buffer beads to aid with resistance , with a snap swivel for your lead. If fishing rough ground, easy to add a rotten bottom . The key elements are the hook being tied up differently, pretty much self hooking. there will be no striking, just reel into the fish , and the stiff line preventing the bait fish effing your rig. Also dramatic improvements on tangles if fished downtide and rod tips low. You dont wanna go over a 4ft hooklength , the longer you go, the less action a baitfish will have trying to kick about and free itself from the hook . I like a very heavy weight, 8 z , and the clutch set not to lightly, but not so heavy your rod goes down the beach on a take .
Will be testing standard pattern hooks, circles and trebles, and also testing "groundbaiting" with a tweak.....

Also , will be using small foam 2ml thick disc as bait stop , leaving the point massively clear

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
This is the business end. 40lb stiff snood, 6/0 circle hook / 5/0 manta tied on carpy style and shrink tubed offset. This WILL improve hookup rates. Rattle will also cause reaction strikes to fish that otherwise would of swam past just seeing an injured baitfish. Predatory fish respond hugely to aggitating noises. 4ft hooklengths, tied onto an 80lb stiff 2ft section with HUGE rubber buffer beads to aid with resistance , with a snap swivel for your lead. If fishing rough ground, easy to add a rotten bottom . The key elements are the hook being tied up differently, pretty much self hooking. there will be no striking, just reel into the fish , and the stiff line preventing the bait fish effing your rig. Also dramatic improvements on tangles if fished downtide and rod tips low. You dont wanna go over a 4ft hooklength , the longer you go, the less action a baitfish will have trying to kick about and free itself from the hook . I like a very heavy weight, 8 z , and the clutch set not to lightly, but not so heavy your rod goes down the beach on a take .
Will be testing standard pattern hooks, circles and trebles, and also testing "groundbaiting" with a tweak.....

Also , will be using small foam 2ml thick disc as bait stop , leaving the point massively clear
Dont u use a top hook on a live bait rig??? I certainly do, tried with trebles before too and worked a treat, never used cat rattles though, gotta be wor

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
No mate . Im being dumb cant see whats happening.
not sure what ends the stiff section , hook end ?
is that 2 different hooks setups for a single trace ?
Wrt rattles . I have done a lot of lure fishing for bass the last few years and at times in some conditions noise or internal rattles dont always work ,quite the contrary ,have you looked at the glass bead internal soft bait rattles ,
https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/products/camo-glass-rattle

they would clear shrink tube on a lot more subtle , (if you wanted subtle ! )
However with a lively i dare say it wont be as active as most lures . Thanks for posting ,i will continue scratching my head , catch up soon .fella

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No mate . Im being dumb cant see whats happening.
not sure what ends the stiff section , hook end ?
is that 2 different hooks setups for a single trace ?
Wrt rattles . I have done a lot of lure fishing for bass the last few years and at times in some conditions noise or internal rattles dont always work ,quite the contrary ,have you looked at the glass bead internal soft bait rattles ,
https://www.thelurebox.co.uk/products/camo-glass-rattle

they would clear shrink tube on a lot more subtle , (if you wanted subtle ! )
However with a lively i dare say it wont be as active as most lures . Thanks for posting ,i will continue scratching my head , catch up soon .fella
Hope you can make out the rig from this . These rattles will catch the tide and spin either a little or alot depending on the state of the tide , not overly fussed on how visible as il mainly use these at night, although im definitely gonna order some of those glass ones !!!
I wrapped the hooklength up so you can actually see the whole rig . Another important thing is to not use swivels well overgunned size wise , as these once under any pressure will NOT spin with the livebait , again aiding in presentation. Ive used 77lb class on these, perfect ! These new berkley needle point trebles are ridiculously sharp !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dont u use a top hook on a live bait rig??? I certainly do, tried with trebles before too and worked a treat, never used cat rattles though, gotta be wor
Never have with any livebaiting , ive lost a few cats and perch using 2 hook rigs , fish will always be grabbed from the head or midsection and swiftly span round and gulped down head first , and ive also found that the extra hook can stab the livebait up, which when theyre hard to come by can be frustrating lol ! Gimme a text brobro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts