World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

This is my first post so hey!

I am planning on going down to dungeness this Sunday and it is my first proper sea fishing session. I have had experience coarse fishing so know the basics and have been reading these forums and others for a while.

I would just like some pointers and maybe specific ones to dungeness. I have heard about the point anyone got any links to maps of how to find it? Your advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
I would put this post on the south east forum, you should get more response. Im going to be there tomorrow night, so if you want to pop down I wil be the one with 2 daiwa supercasts and a black beachbuddy

C

·
0 Posts
Hey

This is my first post so hey!

I am planning on going down to dungeness this Sunday and it is my first proper sea fishing session. I have had experience coarse fishing so know the basics and have been reading these forums and others for a while.

I would just like some pointers and maybe specific ones to dungeness. I have heard about the point anyone got any links to maps of how to find it? Your advice will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Welcome to WSF. As Jassyfa says stick a post in the SE forum for a lot more local advice. Being an Essex boy he is probably better placed than anyone form Kent at giving you good info on Dungie, seeing as Team Essex beat Team Kent on our home ground:yucky:

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Ok, here is a 5 minute idiots guide to fishing dungie

1/ BAIT - Lug. Other baits have their moments but lug is THE bait.

2/ TIME - During the day, fish from a few hours before HW till a couple of hours after. At night high tide can be good but low tide can produce real quality fish.

3/ TIDE - A lot of people really struggle to hold bottom in the stronger tides, so here is how to do it:
Walk 30 - 50 yards uptide of your rod rest. Cast out slightly uptide (45-60 degrees to the beach). Allow the lead to sink and let LOTS of line pay out as you walk back to your rod rest, when you put the rod in the rest the line should still be quite slack and pointing straight out to sea or even slightly down tide. The tide will slowly tension the line. Use at least 6oz long tailed breakaways - longtails grip lots better.
Some folk used fixed wires but you shouldnt have to. I cant remember the last time that I couldnt hold bottom and you wont find a fixed wire lead in my box.

Change your bait at least every 20 minutes.

If you get a big fish, be prepared to follow it along the beach with the tide, then surf it in on a wave.

You dont need to cast huge distances, the fish are often very close in.

When the wind suddenly goes from north or east round to west or south is THE time to fish Dungie.

Have Fun
Big John

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
We may have beaten team Kent at Dungie but Gibberfish didnt fish. Listen to this bloke regarding Dungie.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Agree with BJ , also make sure you use a Strong pattern hook say a kamasan B940 size 1 for general fishing

I find the soft fixed wired impact leads ideal for the bigger tides. They retrieve as well as a breakaway but hold bottom and pull out of the line snags better.

As John suggests don't cast to far when then tide is strong and you will find the low water period easier to fish.

Look out for DAA friendly comps details for which are posted in the SE forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts