World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All

Just got word from my Dad that his mate (Roger) caught a 8lb 8oz bass at Dungerness today on rag worm at around 12noon. No photographs I'm affraid.

I would appear my Dad has also caught two bass (not sure on the size)

He isn't home yet so don't have many more details, I will see if I can add some more details when I speak to him.

Lee

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was down at Galloways today for my first beach fishing session in more than 30 years (been trout fishing for all those years). I thought I'd get well away from others just in case I embarrased myself (oo-er). I started at first light and fished the tide right up. There was only one other person there but never got to speak to him as he was well over 300yards away and he packed in just before I did.

Anyway, the session started brightly as after about 15 minutes and I landed 2lb 4oz (47cm) Bass. Whoopee! I wondered why I'd left it so long before getting back on the beach. Over the next hour and a half I caught 3 more Bass all around 1lb/1lb 4ozs and they were little beauties. The next fish (if you can call it that) was an eel that also broke the 2lb barrier.

Nothing much happened for a couple of hours or so but about an hour before top water the pin Whiting put in a show along with a slipper of a Sole.

All in all, a very pleasing re-start to my beach fishing exploits.

Look forward to seeing photo's of the big Bass Lee.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, in all the excitement Roger didn't take a photo.

The fish was caught on a 3/0 thin wire hook attached to a boom rig.

The fish when filleted weight just under 4lbs (filleted by some-one opposite the Pilot Pub where they bought the bait). Head was gut off on the beach and measured approx 6 inches long.

This fish didn't put up a fight, the only other information was the fishes gut was full of black wood!! We assume the fish may have thought it was black lug.

Some decent size whiting caught and a good dab.

Lee

·
Registered
873 Posts
OK, in all the excitement Roger didn't take a photo.

The fish was caught on a 3/0 thin wire hook attached to a boom rig.

The fish when filleted weight just under 4lbs (filleted by some-one opposite the Pilot Pub where they bought the bait). Head was gut off on the beach and measured approx 6 inches long.

This fish didn't put up a fight, the only other information was the fishes gut was full of black wood!! We assume the fish may have thought it was black lug.

Some decent size whiting caught and a good dab.

Lee
8.5lb sounds about right with fillet weight 4lbish, you usually get 50% wastage with bass. JJ

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roger pulled the fish out on his new Sonik (s3 or 3s) rod that he bought recently for £120, I won't tell him what the fish was worth as he has given my Dad a nice fat piece of the fillet as he help land the beast. Dads a bit worried Roger my change him a £10 - £15 for tonights dinner!! =)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.