World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all . First trip out after my unplanned layoff. Few more war wounds but generally all recovered now.Full of controlled angerthough .
Got to Dungie at about 7pm.Plenty of fresh lug in the bait bucket.Had a look around and decided to fish by the boats for a change. Two rods out one with a pennell with a bunch of 5 juicy black lug bound on and cast at distance , the other closer in with a two hook flapper, smaller hooks and a lug/makkie cocktail.
I counted at least 22 anglers around the boats/trawler area before the light weakened.
Nothing for a couple of hours. Had I made the wrong decision? The light disappeared and still not a tickle.
At about 10pm with the flood tide making good I got my first bite and would you believe it ,I missed it. All around I could see in the numerous headlamps whiting, whiting and more whiting.
.There was the usual flood of pin whiting, every hook coming back with an 8" whiting. Even the big bait for codling was coming back with a wee beastie that had eyes bigger than its belly.
At about 11pm my pennell rig gave a sharp rattle and reeling in I felt a fair bit of resistance. In came flapping up the shingle, a whiting of all of 15". Nice I thought! The other rod then started dancing and this time I had each of the two hooks covered in whiting jaws. the lower a twin of the one I had just caught whilst the other an inch or so bigger.
Marvellous. Two further casts on each rod brought similar results and then they were gone.
A clonking great bite on the pennell was struck and a massive resistance on the end revealed a doggie completely shrouded in weed.,
I decided as the tide had reached its limit, not a big one but its time to go. There had been a small twitching on the flapper rod but hardly anything. I left it whilst I dismantled the pennell rod. Upon returning to it there was a lovely little bass , all 8" of muscle. Nicely lip hooked and back he went so that I can have him in 5 years time.
Not a bad little trip and 7 real nice whiting to feast upon.
Need the wind to sort itself out as a boat trip beckons on Monday although its looking poor.
Tight lines boys.....................:busted_co

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tried to tell it as it was and make it a bit interesting.Loads of anglers trying to do the same but all I hweard of and saw were whiting from others......:busted_co

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
hi graham nice report glad to see your well and healed im doing the same thing tonight at the same place was going to use the same rigs too a pennel at distance and a 2 hook flapper closer in it just goes to show you teach well lol
taking my boy too so he can bash the whititng on the 2 hook flapper while i try for mr coddy i see the winds turned to a more southerly direction i believe it was south westerly last night maybe just maybe you never know lol will let you know how it goes m8 tight lines

·
Banned
755 Posts
Hi Gene :wave:
Good to here your wounds have healed buddy, and good to see you out fishing again. Thought there may have been something else about, specially after the winds this week chopping up the seabed.
Still, the Whiting were a good size, and better them than nothing. A bit early for the Cod, dont you think? Give it another 3 weeks or so and we may see the odd one or two. I still think that the Sole will arrive en-mass in the next week or so. Anyway, a nice report bud, take care.

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi yer guys

arrived at the powerstation about 7.30 there were about 10 others fishing walked down towards 2nd bird hut from then on it was pretty much the same same story as yours Gene, pins and the odd bigger one on top of the tide,but no doggy, a bit of weed around but not to bad,ended up with 5 whiting for supper tonite, left about 12
hope u right about the soles wayne :wallbash:

·
Banned
755 Posts
aye 'aye':wave:
Glad you got down to fish at Dunge behind power station. It would seem to be the same all around Dunge at moment Whiting Whiting... The Sole WILL appear, so will the Codling / Cod, its all part of the life cycle and migratary pattern of the fish. The Mackerel were here, werent they. Again part of the life cycle. Some fish are a little early, others a little late. Theres just not so many fish these days, but those that are, still have to follow there instincts and us the anglers WILL be baiting and waiting to intercept them.
Good health.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Well done mate. Didnt know you were ill/injured. Hope your ok now.

Lee.

G

·
shame that you didnt get the sole.give it untill october and the cod will start to turn up. better luck next time:)

will93

1 - 10 of 10 Posts