World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after getting up at in the middle of the night to get to dungie for 8, I eventually left my house at 5am only to return at 05/15 as I had the mobile in the kitchen. a clear run down to Dungie plus a petrol stop got me at Dungie at 7am. after unlocking the barrier and driving down the road I was told to move the car due to the work going on. One trek from the main road to my fishing gear late ran I was ready to go. 1st cast a 3 hook flapper with size 4 hooks and common lug resulted in the rod rest falling over and losing the bottom hook on a snag. The wind and tide was taking the bait from left to right at a rate of knots and even walking 50 yards to the left to cast resulted in the bait ending up on the right side of the rod rest.
After half an hour my rod rest had fallen over twice and casting and bait indication was near on impossible so I decided to move around the point to the right hand side.
Although the fishing on the right hand side of the point was still uncomfortable the casting improved and the bait stayed still. After setting up the beach buddy the 1st of many smal fish hit the shore in the shape of a rockiling. Dabs followed as I used a strip of squid and a lug on the size 2, 2 hook flapper. the pennel rig remained untouched as I was using whole squid in attempting to tempt doggies.
The small fish continued upto high tide with a couple of small but not micro codling appearing on the pemnnels. On the ebb a couple of small doggies and my first pout of the year (although undersize). With the wind dropping and the sun coming out the fish started to drop off, resulting in ditching the 2 hook flapper for another pennel on the second rig.
With 10 lug on each pennel the codling still stayed away although undersize whiting decided to attack the bait.
By 3pm I was knackered the fish had dissapeared, so I left the beach for the rush hour traffic.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I thought I would get some practice in before the felixstowe match. This was my last fish before the return match.
Although fishing wasn't all that I have practised scratch fishing and bait preparation for the Felixstowe match.
if any of the Essex lads want some advice then pm me.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Hi,
Thats some fish from Dungie - even in 1969. If shore caught, any chance of reliving the tale on here ?

Mart.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
where was your mate fishing? I was fishing by the wooden pathway and there was a couple to the right of me who only had a couple of small fish and a couple of blokes to the left to me who had also small stuff. A couple of older blokes were fishing further to the left and I was told they also had small stuff.

Smart what tale are you going on about?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Mate,
Aplogies - meant Alan from the post above yours. Been a long day yesterday !
Thought it would be nice if he shared his experience of the large cod (best fish) on profile.

How about it then Alan ?

Mart.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the point near the wooden pathway that goes past the lighthouse? if so that is where I was fishing and nowt worth talking about was caught while I was there. I spoke to the people fishing either side of me and they only had small stuff. 2 older blokes packed up at the top of the tide and I was informed they had nothing worth talking about. Im not sure if a couple of people fished further to the left of me or wether they were workmen. I did not see anybody fishing past the couple to the right of my, but then my view was obscured by the curve on the beach.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
the wooden platform is not the point people that is nearer the power station to get to the point u go throught the gate and over the shingle there line up both light houses then ur on the point, and fishing is always much better there than by the wooden platform in my opion

G

·
the wooden platform is not the point people that is nearer the power station to get to the point u go throught the gate and over the shingle there line up both light houses then ur on the point, and fishing is always much better there than by the wooden platform in my opion
hi creedy,

when you line the two lighthouses up i always thought that was the dustbin.i'm sure the point is right in front of the new light house.might be wrong but i'm sure gibberfish can sort this out,so GIBBERFISH???.....DAVE.:)

·
Registered
921 Posts
yeah your right dave, when you line the two lighthouses up, thats the dustbin, the actual point is slightly to the right of the dustbin, the whole area being known as the point.

·
Registered
921 Posts
creedy, i've fished there for twenty years mate, the whole area is known as the point but the lighthouses lined up is the dustbin. have a read of steve almarks article in tsf this month, he might explain it better than me mate.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
OK, lining up the lighthouses gets you to the dustbin. The point is much more vague but I reckon it is more or less the same or perhaps slightly nearer to the shingle digging area. The boardwalk goes to the south of the point.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
ok gibber so how do u exactly line up the light houses mate,

curious to how u do it to pin point a location mate

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
ok gibber so how do u exactly line up the light houses mate,

curious to how u do it to pin point a location mate
Walk from the boats (or the boardwalk) along the beach towards the Black and white lighthouse. When the Black lighthouse disappears behind the black and white lighthouse you are there.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I got to Dungie I was told that I couldn't park the car on the new road (where you need a key) and I couldn't fish in that area. So I parked the car by the Britannia pub had a quick glance for any Eastenders characters and walked along the wooden path. As far as i was concerned that was the point, although I have also been told by lining up the lighthouses is the point and the start of the shingle by the power station as the point.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts