World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“Dungie Heaven or Hell” ?

I reckon its now about 48 years since my first visit to Dungeness ,this being when my at the time Girlfriends family decided to go camping at Littlestone to which I was invited.

Favourite form of fishing for me at that time was coarse fishing and to be honest still is, however winter sea fishing is now catching up quickly!

Going back to the time of my first visit to the area, I went equipped with a fresh water spinning and a coarse float rod to fish the areas ***** and the military canal.
On this first camping visit we all went for a trip to “Dungie” to have a look around. I remember well walking across the beach from the lighthouse dressed in a light weight jacket and thinking what a “God awfull” desolate place this is.
If only I had known just how good the fishing was there I might have thought differently as this was the time of Leslie Moncrief and his famous Long bow rod being aimed at the equally famous “Dustbin” area 100 yards off the point.

The following Easter we were back, this time I had come with saved up money and a warm duffle coat proudly wearing which, I ventured into the tackle shop in New Romney (Marnies I think it was called) and bought a cheap Beachcaster and Multiplier (had to buy them there to get him to let me have a couple of score of Lug!)
Now I was ready to take the Cod at “Dungie” apart, at that time I knew nothing about Cod fishing and expected them to be sitting there just waiting for me to turn up and clobber them, of course being Easter, they had all disappeared in search of colder climes , strange things these Cod things ain’t they?
Finished up fishing the No go area at Littlestone and caught as my first ever sea fish a small spur dog, was well made up with this and was “Hooked”

Made regular visits to Denge Marsh through the Seventies and Eighties with my brother John.
We never really did much good apart from for me on one red letter day, what happened was, we drove down from Beckenham where we lived, managed to buy plenty of Fresh Lug which in its self was quite unusual as it was normally all sold, we then made our way to Denge, “No chance, it was blowing a Hooly” so we drove back home.
That evening the wind moderated and as the bait was in my fridge I phoned brother John to say I was going back down and did he want to come, No was the answer so I was on my own!
I arrived at Denge and made the difficult walk across the shingle to set up, “what a night” I just could not stop catching cod, with 2 nine pounders being the best. At low water it took two trips back to the car to load the gear and the fish and then I was off, one very contented knackered fisherman!

Since that time I have seen my family all grow up and my brother reach an age where the Beach bit is just too much for him.
One of my sons who is keen on all things to do with fishing has moved to Ramsgate and is into sea fishing in a big way, even out pumping his own black lug (Sod that for a game of soldiers) anyway his enthusiasm has re-generated my own and I am now the proud owner of a couple of decent beach casting rods and a couple of 515s.
In the last couple of months have been getting back into it and am really starting to enjoy myself.

I really don’t know what it is about “Dungie” but there is some indefinable attraction about the place, maybe for me its nostalgic or maybe it’s something else just don’t know what it is.

However what I do know is that when I go there, I still see the desolation and that “Bloody ugly power station”, but also see the great character in the place with its foraging seagulls, the working boats up on the beach, the old still attractive lighthouse, the quaint shanty town style attraction of the properties, the Lifeboat station, the abandoned never to sail again boats lying where they were dragged too years ago along with discarded winching gear which is also unlikely to ever rotate again.

All of this goes to make Dungeness what to some will always look like hell on earth, but for me it resembles a little bit of how I hope heaven might be if I ever get there! :huh:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Some good fishing stories there! - thanks for posting :thumbs:

I agree - Dungie does have a unique atmosphere...

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Twenty years ago I used to drive across Romney Marsh on my way to fish at Dungeness - I would look at the flat wind-blasted land and think "who the hell would want to live in this place?..." I would then drive to my favourite fishing spot along the road between the sea and the power station (yes, you could in those days) and think to myself "who in their right mind would want to work at that place?.."
I now live at Greatstone on Romney Marsh and work at the power station!!

·
Registered
648 Posts
on the post, it is a bleak place in the winter but under those waves are bars of gold......just ask the hundreds of nutters freezing on the beach n boats trying to hook 1 :wacko:

·
The Shedmeister
2,471 Posts
“Dungie Heaven or Hell” ?

I reckon its now about 48 years since my first visit to Dungeness ,this being when my at the time Girlfriends family decided to go camping at Littlestone to which I was invited.

Favourite form of fishing for me at that time was coarse fishing and to be honest still is, however winter sea fishing is now catching up quickly!

Going back to the time of my first visit to the area, I went equipped with a fresh water spinning and a coarse float rod to fish the areas ***** and the military canal.
On this first camping visit we all went for a trip to “Dungie” to have a look around. I remember well walking across the beach from the lighthouse dressed in a light weight jacket and thinking what a “God awfull” desolate place this is.
If only I had known just how good the fishing was there I might have thought differently as this was the time of Leslie Moncrief and his famous Long bow rod being aimed at the equally famous “Dustbin” area 100 yards off the point.

The following Easter we were back, this time I had come with saved up money and a warm duffle coat proudly wearing which, I ventured into the tackle shop in New Romney (Marnies I think it was called) and bought a cheap Beachcaster and Multiplier (had to buy them there to get him to let me have a couple of score of Lug!)
Now I was ready to take the Cod at “Dungie” apart, at that time I knew nothing about Cod fishing and expected them to be sitting there just waiting for me to turn up and clobber them, of course being Easter, they had all disappeared in search of colder climes , strange things these Cod things ain’t they?
Finished up fishing the No go area at Littlestone and caught as my first ever sea fish a small spur dog, was well made up with this and was “Hooked”

Made regular visits to Denge Marsh through the Seventies and Eighties with my brother John.
We never really did much good apart from for me on one red letter day, what happened was, we drove down from Beckenham where we lived, managed to buy plenty of Fresh Lug which in its self was quite unusual as it was normally all sold, we then made our way to Denge, “No chance, it was blowing a Hooly” so we drove back home.
That evening the wind moderated and as the bait was in my fridge I phoned brother John to say I was going back down and did he want to come, No was the answer so I was on my own!
I arrived at Denge and made the difficult walk across the shingle to set up, “what a night” I just could not stop catching cod, with 2 nine pounders being the best. At low water it took two trips back to the car to load the gear and the fish and then I was off, one very contented knackered fisherman!

Since that time I have seen my family all grow up and my brother reach an age where the Beach bit is just too much for him.
One of my sons who is keen on all things to do with fishing has moved to Ramsgate and is into sea fishing in a big way, even out pumping his own black lug (Sod that for a game of soldiers) anyway his enthusiasm has re-generated my own and I am now the proud owner of a couple of decent beach casting rods and a couple of 515s.
In the last couple of months have been getting back into it and am really starting to enjoy myself.

I really don’t know what it is about “Dungie” but there is some indefinable attraction about the place, maybe for me its nostalgic or maybe it’s something else just don’t know what it is.

However what I do know is that when I go there, I still see the desolation and that “Bloody ugly power station”, but also see the great character in the place with its foraging seagulls, the working boats up on the beach, the old still attractive lighthouse, the quaint shanty town style attraction of the properties, the Lifeboat station, the abandoned never to sail again boats lying where they were dragged too years ago along with discarded winching gear which is also unlikely to ever rotate again.

All of this goes to make Dungeness what to some will always look like hell on earth, but for me it resembles a little bit of how I hope heaven might be if I ever get there! :huh:
Thanks, an enjoyable read :thumbs:

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Most excellent :thumbs:

To help bring alive....My sprogs love the place...

It is magic ....Mystical.....The craft this used to drag up the shingle :marinheir

Cracking post, Thanks for that

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
now this mr price is what i call MAGIC .storys to get u reading and not put down till finished great post mate :marinheir

·
Registered
258 Posts
Excellent read, you described the place perfectly, you should try and make it the world dab comp in feb as that is a good day out fishing.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
nice read mate being one of gods chosen people i feel and see the desolation you speak of every time i cross the bridge the realise its just avonmouth and bristol lol

ive only been doing dungie for 6 years but even its reputation had reached the valleys over 20 years ago ....so when i moved down here even tho well past those halcyon days it was always gonna be the 1st place i fished even tho i had all the guys in work telling me it was crap etc etc and no one caught fish there anymore ...my 1st session was with 2 newbies who had only fished once before(but they knew where dungie was lol) fished infont of the powerstation in november expecting cod but i had 8 bass between 5 - 8 1/2lb and they managed 5 between them and both had a 5lber ...that was it i was hooked even tho i would of prefered them to be cod!!!!!!!!!!

since then its been a sharp learning curve but ive never blanked there and ive had 6 double figure cod plus over 100 under double figures( and dont forget the ones that got away!!!! lol) so it is still the place where dreams can be made it just takes more effort now

so for me dungie is HEAVEN :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts