World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this was one of those impromptu sessions forced on me by circumstances namely work!!!!...given the choice i would fish tuesday or wednesday night instead anyway after my wingman for the night Shaggs collected me after work we headed coastwards stopping of at tim the bass to collect some lovely squid and cuttle then on th Si's for some lovely coffee a chew of the fat put the worlds to right the off to the shingle it was :)

initially i didnt hold out much hope for a coddie but when we hit the beach there was a lovely big swell a meter of surf and loads of colour in the water ...my expectations went through the roof with thoughts of being up to my nuts in cod and or bass ....i set up and had the 1st bait of 6 blacks on 6/0 pennels on a semifixed pat in the water in minutes and it was found by the ting in even less time lol so i left it out there as a livebait rig whilst i set up the other 2 rods 1 rd was just for livebaiting i for cuttle /squid and 1 for worm ..my plan was to have all the bases covered

1st time i reeled in was no surprise to see 2 decent sized ting on my pennel next rod in i was slightly surprised to see 3 ting on my pennel and the cast after i was very surprised to see 1 ting on the hook and 2 with just the bait elastic caught in their teeth ...then same thing happened as in the last few sessions the ting disappeared??i dont know where but i dont care either lol...so live bait rod swapped to cuttle and then 2 lug rods as now it was cod time and literally 10 mins later massive slackliner on lug i wound down and down and down and down and next thing the rig was at my feet....cod 1 jay 0 this was at 8pm then just before 8.30 i had one of my favourite types of bite on the cuttle rod(fished seperatly in a sand spike) left the stand and was happily being dragged seawards.....grabbed the rod gave it some line so i coud get things back under control ....felt the line tightening so leaned back into the fish hooks set fish on :) decent bit of weight but no record breaker felt the tell tale nod of mr cod job done i thought then.........

10 seconds after lifting into the fish disaster my mainline snapped not at the leader knot but in the middle of the line ?? this line had been put on the day before and was brand new and had only made 1 previous cast ...so after a bout of tourettes where i called into queston the fish's parentage i reeled in the rest of the line stripped 20 meters off and checked for damage and found not even a nick so i wrapped the line around my arms pulled and it snapped like cotton!!!! that was it stripped it all off and on went my trusted daiwa sensor :) .....the line in question i have used extensively on the field and have friends who swear by it for fishing but for me thats 2 good fish in 2 years lost because of line failure by sakuma nite crystal ......thoughts/experiences please as everything else sakuma ive got is great??

anyway there are fish out there so no time to waste back to fishing ....the lug baits were being changed every 15 mins and the cuttle every 30 mins but there was a lul in the action and with no ting to keep me amused i was begining to doubt my cod catching prowess and think i had missed my chances!!!!:-( then just before 11pm another massive slackliner on the lug rod and yep you guessed it i wound and wound and wound nd swore and wound and swore all the way in ...checked hooks and rigs but they were perfect and tried and tested over many years so just bad luck i guess?? loaded this rod back up with 6 blacks and sent it back out there

10 mins later whilst changing the other lug rod for the 2nd time that night the cuttle rod took off seawards but this time it was really motoring? as soon as i caught the rod i knew this was something special even though it only took a few mins to get it just the other side of the surf and as i did this fish decided it must of been late for last orders coz it was steaming towards the pilot!!!! !!! ive never been taken down a beach like that not even by huge smutts.... Shaggs was about 30 or so meters to my left and as much as i tried i couldnt even slow this fish down it went straight through shagg's rods and dumped them on the shingle obviously getting tangled ...i couldnt give it line without pulling shagg's rods into the sea and couldnt reel it in all i could do was hold on and pray the 50lb braid would hold the leader knot wouldnt give and the rod wouldnt snap it was stalemate for a few seconds then it kicked and kept kicking and either the braid or probably the knot gave and that was that ....another one that got away story!!!

will be back friday if the fish show like i think they will if not ile be there next week and one session this winter one of those big ones is gonna be gracing my fish bag

one thig i forgot to put in the post is the amount of gear i lost ....... i dont know to be honest it was well into double figures!!!! i went home with 3 rigs left in my tronix box!!!!!!..........i was to the left of the point and tried walking 40 meters to my right and 10 meters to my left but i got stuck everywhere i went but it was real strange i would have a few casts get stuck have a few get stuck was getting stuck when i tried to lift out and when reeling in even with a big fixed spool there was no rhyme or reason to it!!!! all i do know is because of me they need to drag it again lol

G

·
this was one of those impromptu sessions forced on me by circumstances namely work!!!!...given the choice i would fish tuesday or wednesday night instead anyway after my wingman for the night Shaggs collected me after work we headed coastwards stopping of at tim the bass to collect some lovely squid and cuttle then on th Si's for some lovely coffee a chew of the fat put the worlds to right the off to the shingle it was :)

initially i didnt hold out much hope for a coddie but when we hit the beach there was a lovely big swell a meter of surf and loads of colour in the water ...my expectations went through the roof with thoughts of being up to my nuts in cod and or bass ....i set up and had the 1st bait of 6 blacks on 6/0 pennels on a semifixed pat in the water in minutes and it was found by the ting in even less time lol so i left it out there as a livebait rig whilst i set up the other 2 rods 1 rd was just for livebaiting i for cuttle /squid and 1 for worm ..my plan was to have all the bases covered

1st time i reeled in was no surprise to see 2 decent sized ting on my pennel next rod in i was slightly surprised to see 3 ting on my pennel and the cast after i was very surprised to see 1 ting on the hook and 2 with just the bait elastic caught in their teeth ...then same thing happened as in the last few sessions the ting disappeared??i dont know where but i dont care either lol...so live bait rod swapped to cuttle and then 2 lug rods as now it was cod time and literally 10 mins later massive slackliner on lug i wound down and down and down and down and next thing the rig was at my feet....cod 1 jay 0 this was at 8pm then just before 8.30 i had one of my favourite types of bite on the cuttle rod(fished seperatly in a sand spike) left the stand and was happily being dragged seawards.....grabbed the rod gave it some line so i coud get things back under control ....felt the line tightening so leaned back into the fish hooks set fish on :) decent bit of weight but no record breaker felt the tell tale nod of mr cod job done i thought then.........

10 seconds after lifting into the fish disaster my mainline snapped not at the leader knot but in the middle of the line ?? this line had been put on the day before and was brand new and had only made 1 previous cast ...so after a bout of tourettes where i called into queston the fish's parentage i reeled in the rest of the line stripped 20 meters off and checked for damage and found not even a nick so i wrapped the line around my arms pulled and it snapped like cotton!!!! that was it stripped it all off and on went my trusted daiwa sensor :) .....the line in question i have used extensively on the field and have friends who swear by it for fishing but for me thats 2 good fish in 2 years lost because of line failure by sakuma nite crystal ......thoughts/experiences please as everything else sakuma ive got is great??

anyway there are fish out there so no time to waste back to fishing ....the lug baits were being changed every 15 mins and the cuttle every 30 mins but there was a lul in the action and with no ting to keep me amused i was begining to doubt my cod catching prowess and think i had missed my chances!!!!:-( then just before 11pm another massive slackliner on the lug rod and yep you guessed it i wound and wound and wound nd swore and wound and swore all the way in ...checked hooks and rigs but they were perfect and tried and tested over many years so just bad luck i guess?? loaded this rod back up with 6 blacks and sent it back out there

10 mins later whilst changing the other lug rod for the 2nd time that night the cuttle rod took off seawards but this time it was really motoring? as soon as i caught the rod i knew this was something special even though it only took a few mins to get it just the other side of the surf and as i did this fish decided it must of been late for last orders coz it was steaming towards the pilot!!!! !!! ive never been taken down a beach like that not even by huge smutts.... Shaggs was about 30 or so meters to my left and as much as i tried i couldnt even slow this fish down it went straight through shagg's rods and dumped them on the shingle obviously getting tangled ...i couldnt give it line without pulling shagg's rods into the sea and couldnt reel it in all i could do was hold on and pray the 50lb braid would hold the leader knot wouldnt give and the rod wouldnt snap it was stalemate for a few seconds then it kicked and kept kicking and either the braid or probably the knot gave and that was that ....another one that got away story!!!

will be back friday if the fish show like i think they will if not ile be there next week and one session this winter one of those big ones is gonna be gracing my fish bag

one thig i forgot to put in the post is the amount of gear i lost ....... i dont know to be honest it was well into double figures!!!! i went home with 3 rigs left in my tronix box!!!!!!..........i was to the left of the point and tried walking 40 meters to my right and 10 meters to my left but i got stuck everywhere i went but it was real strange i would have a few casts get stuck have a few get stuck was getting stuck when i tried to lift out and when reeling in even with a big fixed spool there was no rhyme or reason to it!!!! all i do know is because of me they need to drag it again lol
fantastic read, thanks

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
bad luck jay on the biggie but it could have been a whopper bass they do run up and down the beach .iv had them run a hundred yards :marinheir

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah i had the big one down as a bass as had plenty of big cod but never had one do that to me!!!! ...quite glad the spikey git fell off i was cod fishing lol

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think you may be better off fishing somewhere else until you get the hang of Dungeness :black_eye
Did anything not go wrong?
i was gonna reply with a witty retort then luke but then i thought F**K O** it says it so much better lol

something that didnt go wrong was the weather it was a lil bit windy but warm as hell i fished until we left at gone 12 in a t shirt and cotton smock and wasnt cold at all

·
The Shedmeister
2,471 Posts
i was gonna reply with a witty retort then luke but then i thought F**K O** it says it so much better lol

something that didnt go wrong was the weather it was a lil bit windy but warm as hell i fished until we left at gone 12 in a t shirt and cotton smock and wasnt cold at all
:thumbs: If it was me I'd still be swearing :hug:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have enjoyed reading it mate. Not happy for your losses though, looks like you could have caught some really big fish... but you know that there is always a next time.

Cheers,
Luis

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have enjoyed reading it mate. Not happy for your losses though, looks like you could have caught some really big fish... but you know that there is always a next time.

Cheers,
Luis

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Unlucky Jay, off down there shortly and will see if I can catch the culprit!!!!!

I know ur wishing me the best of luck:spiteful:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts