World Sea Fishing Forums banner

dUNGIE23/07/08

871 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Gene Hunt 
#1 ·
Hi all. Arrived at about 2pm as the tide was ebbing. Decided to fish at the rear of the power station. There were a great many anglers here fishing for mackeral with a few being caught.
At about 5pm the sea suddenly became alive there were hundreds of mackeral chasing small sprats with their mouths wide open. The noise of the disturbance made more noise than the the waves. The mackkies were herding the fry parrallel with the beach up and down. There was a large family of chinese anglers, male and female and they were having great fun with the huge shoal.The beach was covered with these tiny bait fish which were 4 cm long and looked like minature sprats, they were everywhere. The birds were quick to help themselves to the free feast. I saw a couple of mackeral beaching themselves but before I could get to them they were back in the water and off. The shoals could be seen a long way away due to the splashing they were making as their heads were out of the water. Also I saw lots of really savege splashes and the fry leaping out of the water , this about 30 feet from the shore. It was happening all along the beach with localised disturbance a lot different from the shoaling mackeral. I believe they were bass. Unforgettable.
I looked in my box and as usual had left my feathers and sabikis at home. All these mackeral and no lures. What to do,. I looked around the beach and found a instant barbi foil tray that had been discarded by an angler last night. I cut up some tiny fish shaped bits and bound them with bait elastic to some 4 hooks and added a bit of red silicon tube and a yellow bead. Did this 4 times and made up a set of 'feathers'. I didnt expect anything but youve gotta try. First cast 3 huge mackeral. This hearlded a feast. I had to keep replacing the foil but that trace was good for a nice bag of good eating makkies. There were anglers all along the rear of the PS taking their share of the fish.
I baited up two rods with tiny pieces of lug awaiting a sole. Cast very close in and almost straight away I had a small dab.
As the light disappeared , the pout and whiting came on. I had a lovely schoolie measuring 27 cm.and thne jsut as I was about to call it a day a small sole 21 cm in length who went back .
As I left I could see only 4 anglers, I did expect more, although the wind was picking up, a bit.
Net result another great day on the shingle.Saving the bigger sole for Friday evening..:busted_co

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi gene, :wave:
A bl**dy good report bud, really gets the imagination buzzing.
You have been lucky enough to witness a fantastic sight, never to be forgotten. Saw the same at Denge 15yrs ago. Did you pick up any of the whitebait, smashing to eat. Well done on the Sole. Cant wait to get down there tonight.

#7 ·
Gene, make sure you have a dexter or toby in your bag, should you see the same again, you might just get through the Macks into a good bass. It's magic to see though, even better when Gannets are in the equasion. Hope to find something like that this week end. Well done.

#8 ·
nice report graham nice to see mr sole showing hoping there gonna be there tomorrow night got me bait allready lol toped up with a few fresh makkys today behind the ps but noting else was showing
see yas friday night

#11 ·
Boy's that really was something I will never forget .There were hundreds if not thousands of makkies there just rounding the fry up and chomping them down. There were lots of gulls there who were not bothered to help themselves that is until the fry leapt onto the beach and there was piles of them, then the gulls took their turn. It reminded me of those David Attenborough films where the lions herd up the wilderbeast. Awesome. I saw this on a smaller scale here at Dungie a few years ago but that was by the point and a far lesser scale.
Wow I cant stop thinking about it. And the bass, well I believe they were bass, were literally just out of sight in the water , no more than a rod length out . How many times do we cast over the fish.
Well Im happy to share this with you all, our sport brings the wonders of nature to our sight , its around us and I love it. Last week watching the gannets working on the makeral shoals was out of this world and now this.
I remember having a copy of Mr Crabtrees fishing handbook as a nipper and that showed how to make makkie feathers out of silver foil. It sure helped me and now Ive all the makkkies I will need for the autumn/ winter and the barbis been working overtime too.'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Looking forward to meeting up with some of you fellas tomorrow night look for the red smock with the WSF logo. And for all you lads that cant make this one we must try again next month.
I am tied up at work for a while after this and will have to read everyone elses reports so come on Mr Sole come and pull my string. :busted_co

#14 · (Edited)
Gordfish , sorry I couldnt get back staright away but Sam Tyler was chatting up that bird Cartwright again. Skelton , stupid boy was supposed to be polishing the Cortina, thats the Mark 111. I am a man of taste you see, and with 105bhp under your jacksy, the crims dont stand a chance.The guv nor keeps moaning about the price of juice, I keep telling him. Dont get too happy with your brake foot.Give it welly,whats the point of avin a clock that goes up to 120mph.Sorry gotta go.
Oy Skelton why arnt my wheels ready I have sole to catch , thats fish to you not bottoms of shoes you idiot.:busted_co

#16 ·
Gordfish , sorry I couldnt get back staright away but Sam Tyler was chatting up that bird Cartwright again. Skelton , stupid boy was supposed to be polishing the Cortina, thats the Mark 111. I am a man of taste you see, and with 105bhp under your jacksy, the crims dont stand a chance.The guv nor keeps moaning about the price of juice, I keep telling him. Dont get too happy with your brake foot.Give it welly,whats the point of avin a clock that goes up to 120mph.Sorry gotta go.
Oy Skelton why arnt my wheels ready I have sole to catch , thats fish to you not bottoms of shoes you idiot.:busted_co
pmsl spot on graham :clap3::clap3::notworthy:clap2::clap2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.