World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Dunstonborough Castle

743 views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SAJ 
#1 ·
Me and mate of mine are considering traveling up quite soon, but I'm wondering will it be worth while this time of year, if so what would be the best method of fishing?
From what I've read in past reports I was considering taking a light rod up for float fishing, and the heavy rod to see if theres anyting in the kelp.
Any advice would be much appreciated, i.e. rigs etc, as it would be nice to get something in concrete ideally for this weekend.

Cheers,

SAJ.

#4 ·
the castle is one of those suprise places main specie will be cod/coalies....but the way the weathers been there might be some pollock and wrasse about.........try fishing with fish baits mackrel/squid there is a possibillity of doggies up there i always use rottom bottoms up there on a big rod.

personaly i wouldnt bother with a small rod at this time of the year but its up to you mate you never no it might just be worth a go

Paul

#7 ·
Cheers for the advice lads, looks as if its getting the go ahead for early Saturday morning.
Just need to get organised now, whats the crack with parking?
park in craster village and then just walk to the castle from there

some people park at duntansteads and walk over the golf course but ive always just went from the village

dont obstruct peoples house's in the village tho they will complain

#8 ·
There's a car park just before you get into Craster you'll need some change for the machine, adds a few hundred yards onto the hike up to the castle which is a longer hike than it looks, you want to be thinking minimum amount of tackle for this walk, but once your there, fish or no fish it's worth it in my opinion.

#9 ·
Alrite there mate if you go post ya results good or bad lol Im gonna go up Sunday morning only taking light rod though as i only intend a few hours will try for pollock/wrasse. As has been said you will stand better chance with big rod into the deep water (i would be taking my big rod if i had time for a good sesh). I park at the steads dont know if its shorter walk but it is much easier. I know fish baits are good through winter months up there but not sure what would be best now. I would suggest a good mixture of baits and maybe crab and lug cocktails doing well. Good luck and tight lines bud

#11 ·
After trying my hardest to get something organised, plus trying to keep everyone happy, it doesn't look like I'll be going up to Dunstanburgh this Saturday. I'll be off to Boulmer tomorrow evening, and then I'll try some flattie bashing up river in the Wear over the weekend.
I'll be giveing the 'spoon' method a shot, which was posted in another thread!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.