World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading with great pleasure the exploits of the Stella crew on here all summer but not been able to get out myself. Corrected that on Sunday.

Hit the beach 7am--high about 9:30. Nice swell, light wind off the land, sunny and warm. called it a day at 12:30.

My buddy Chris aka "the king of close in" with his 2 hook flapper had 4 bass to 36 cm ,2 whiting and an eel on his one rod as old a him.

Me--well with my two rods had the same apart from the eel. My whizzy self tied pulley pennel pop up rig was lost to the snag monster. Changed to a single clipped down. Utter waste of time flinging it out. Watching "the king" lobbed my sole boomed, 2 size 4 hooks, 40 yards and caught.

Tried mackerel, rag and lug. Lug was the only bait that caught. I have not caught a single fish on rag off the Suffolk beaches in 2 years--losing faith in rag. Anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Been reading with great pleasure the exploits of the Stella crew on here all summer but not been able to get out myself. Corrected that on Sunday.

Hit the beach 7am--high about 9:30. Nice swell, light wind off the land, sunny and warm. called it a day at 12:30.

My buddy Chris aka "the king of close in" with his 2 hook flapper had 4 bass to 36 cm ,2 whiting and an eel on his one rod as old a him.

Me--well with my two rods had the same apart from the eel. My whizzy self tied pulley pennel pop up rig was lost to the snag monster. Changed to a single clipped down. Utter waste of time flinging it out. Watching "the king" lobbed my sole boomed, 2 size 4 hooks, 40 yards and caught.

Tried mackerel, rag and lug. Lug was the only bait that caught. I have not caught a single fish on rag off the Suffolk beaches in 2 years--losing faith in rag. Anyone else had this experience?
Yep about the same more like 3 years nothing on rag??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep same here - I was told rag is a must for sole - never has worked for me for sole, in fact I have never had ANY fish on rag.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Well done on getting out there, catching a few and reporting back.:D

... I have not caught a single fish on rag off the Suffolk beaches in 2 years--losing faith in rag. Anyone else had this experience?
What can I say. I've had 6 different species on rag from the suffolk (and norfolk) beaches on rag this year. Mainly sole but also eel, flounder, dab, bass and smoothies.
For me its my go to "scratching" bait on small hooks, close in. Quite often its the only bait to provoke a bite in summer when all else fails. I hate going fishing in the summer without it.

To be fair I have caught more fish on fresh yellow-tails, but I think that is because it's the bait I use most oft. Bass go mad for em, as do flounder. Ive had all the other species mentioned and then some on yellow-tails as well.

Just my tuppenny worth :)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I agree with fisherider, the freshly dug rag is a killer bait for any species out there. Old washed out or farmed rag has no where near the appeal. I would never fish a Suffolk beach with fresh rag. Scent is paramount around here and any bait, lug or rag, that has been tanked for any time is next to useless. I'd rather have old smelly bait that's been kept in paper for a week than washed out tanked stuff. Dig your own if you can or buy direct from a digger. You can tell the freshly dug rag because it will make your hands sore especially around the finger nails.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to see the comments of some very good anglers on the rag topic. I have not had much success with digging my own rag or lug on the Alde estuary--there's a clue about my home turf--the liquid mud is a nightmare--and I'm getting to an age where all that exertion might do me a mischief.

For me blow lug has always been king, a little peeler and some dirty squid, limited success on black lug. Perhaps mackerel when we had good sized whiting back in the day. Tried prawns, sand eel , blueys etc but no luck (or perhaps lack of skill on my part).

On another topic the take size for bass makes no sense to me. Over 42 cm is surely nearer to breeding size so we should be putting them back. If we are limited to one a day why not say a fish between 30 and 36 cm--if you look at the farmed fish that is the sort of plate sized fish they sell which is a meal for one person.?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with fisherider, the freshly dug rag is a killer bait for any species out there. Old washed out or farmed rag has no where near the appeal. I would never fish a Suffolk beach with fresh rag. Scent is paramount around here and any bait, lug or rag, that has been tanked for any time is next to useless. I'd rather have old smelly bait that's been kept in paper for a week than washed out tanked stuff. Dig your own if you can or buy direct from a digger. You can tell the freshly dug rag because it will make your hands sore especially around the finger nails.
That rings a bell...... why did they use to make my finger tips sore ?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
fingers sore ! not as much as your eyes , whatever you do dont get rag blood near those !!!, got a squirt in the eye a while back , been better off rubbin a red hot coal in it , since found out its really bad and long lasting as i wear contact lenses , ive contaminated those as well , beware !

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
fingers sore ! not as much as your eyes , whatever you do dont get rag blood near those !!!, got a squirt in the eye a while back , been better off rubbin a red hot coal in it , since found out its really bad and long lasting as i wear contact lenses , ive contaminated those as well , beware !
Blimey, sounds horrendous. Makes me almost glad that I wear specs! :geek: It certainly stings in cuts, I know that. :run:

Back to your original question Nessman. Out of 79 Sole so far this year, 41 on lug, 37 on rag and 1 on shrimp, so yes it seems to work boi. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
i believe its a form of Iodine ,and it certainly looks like Iodine.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
On the bass subject, upper and lower limits would make much more sense in protecting the prime breeding stocks. I'd rather take a 2-3lb fish and put a 6 pounder back as it makes more sense. Also ban tangle nets as small bass are so spikey that they get tangled and die even when the mesh is big. Some people are making a good business out of line caught bass and that's the way it needs to go.
Sole intentions being a North Suffolk boi uses a lot more lug than us South Suffolk folk. That's really just down to rag being so freely available to dig down here and lug is easier in the north. We can get lug but not as easily as the rag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts