World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived around 11.30am and fished the tide up untill high at 16.30.
Rag caught the fish ,raw prawn not getting a touch.
5 Whiting 1 pouting and one fairly decent fish (schoolie?) lost in the surf.
Some fairly decent sized Whiting and the usual eyes swallowing 2 hooks!
I was about 150 yds north of the car park rather than my usual 250yds,
a mistake as it turns out , lost 3 rigs to snags. Not sure if it's old kit
from the fishing boats or heft , either way I'll I'll go the extra yards next time.
As with Southwold the beach has washed out a great deal , a small
shingle cliff rather than the steep bank that's usually there .
Can't complain , not a bad day out.

Registered
It's never good losing gear on snags, particularly if they are man made!

You caught a few though, shame about the Bass but at least the blank was avoided and you enjoyed yourself, we can't ask for much more than that. 馃檪

Registered
Anywhere near a car park will be snaggy as that's where most anglers fish. It's always worth a walk to get clear of overfished areas. That small cliff is due to erosion of the grass areas as the sea was once a lot further out. The shingle changes with weather conditions and it's been calm recently so shingle ridges have built up where the small waves lap against the stones. With a stronger wind and bigger waves they will get washed away leaving just one long sloping beach. You can tell what the recent weather has been and even the recent wind direction by looking at how a beach has formed. They are also clues to what's under the water too if you know what to look for. Well done on finding a few fish as the local Sea League was fished there on Sunday and it was a struggle to find sizable fish.

Registered
It's never good losing gear on snags, particularly if they are man made!

You caught a few though, shame about the Bass but at least the blank was avoided and you enjoyed yourself, we can't ask for much more than that. 馃檪
In a way the whiting are to blame for those snags Alan. They're to blame for a lot of things lol. In the Autumn snags build up because a lot more anglers are fishing due to the whiting shoals. Some of those anglers haven't used their gear for months and sadly they don't check their lines for damage. The more gear that's lost the bigger the snags become and this seems to happen every Autumn. If I haven't used a particular reel for a while I will always check the line thoroughly and if I'm not happy I'll replace it. I'd rather it broke at home than on the beach where it could cost me a rig or worse still a good fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts