World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Travelled up to tongue for a wee look but it is a low water fishing place. so earlier than expected mossied over to durnesss. water was starting to reciede so i had a bit of time to waste. went round to golf course and set up infront of car park. straight away caught 1 sea trout of 1.75 lbs:punk:. after about ten minutes spinning i had a real cracker muller me about fifteeen feet out. now the water is gin clear . i nearly had a heart attack the brute came straight out the water about three feet and spat out the lure. turd it was about 4lbs:wallbash:. tide was dropping good so i thought i would head round to my usual haunt. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa crabs crabs bl00dy crabs. jesus mother of joseph. buggered my four set lines. there was so many crabs i caught two spinning. thats a first for me.on the plus side i caught one wee flatty. wheres the bass. they were everywhere. the place was moving with salmon, seatrout and bass. 6 hours spinning what i get two crabs wheres the justice in that. ive fished up there for years and its along time since ive seen so many fish although i caught bugger all. but thats fishing you cant win all the time.

few points for the people going up there soon.

1, only fish north side of keodale pier to durness or you will be chased away.

2, spin it works great usually.

3, us lug on a suspended bait for the bass
or mackie sand eel for sea trout.

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
Hi mate

Is it best to arrive at low tide and fish the incoming?

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whatever the the bbc says low tide is take of 1hr. thats when the sand starts to appear low tide will probably be about an hour after bbc says. youll get about five hrs fishing before your pushed back off. renember it comes in quick if you go way out. best staying within couple of hundred yards north of pier. shed loads of fish. first time ive had a bad one. usuall catches are between ten and twenty fish. exact low tide is when the sea trout come on the take. bass is when ever but big shoals arrive when your getting pushed on to the rocks. tide will be flying so you can only spin that part. good luck. im going back up probably a fortnight. if any one wants to meet let me know.

plus wind if its stronger than 15 forget it. thats why this place is great theres only certain times you can crack it. o i forgot to say if you go up now and theres no wind the mighty cleg is there in force. even the locals were complaining.

one final thing. i know a few locals one recently had a 11.5lb sea trout there a fortnight ago. now thats what i call a fish.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Durness sounds a fantastic place to fish if the conditions are right Marty, but I guess by what you say the tide is well worth the watching. I would love to give it a bash sometime.
I once camped in the site on the clifftop many years ago and the wind got up during the night, bl00dy h3ll it was scary I can tell you :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Glad you got a couple of fish at least Marty, did you try around by Eilean Dubh? Tends to be a bit more variety around there. Nice sea-trout and lovely eating. Had a couple of small grilse around the coast there that looked like sea trout, but great fun when you can see the fish following the lure.:fishing1:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi m8, good report,:thumbs: Going Up to Durness For a Week in mid August. I have fished up and around Durness a few times, never tried Balnakeil Beach area , always seemed to be a bit flat & featureless to me. Have to give it a try when I'm up there in the middle of August. Last time I was up there watched a few anglers catching loads of flatties at the rocks in this picture. (In front of the golf course).

This image is the Kyle of Durness at the back of the old Cape Wrath Hotel. Is this the area North of the pier you mention in your report ? Had loads of bass spinning from here last time we were up , great sport in the clear water.

·
Registered
10,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
that looks like the pier.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Headed up yesterday but had to wait for the wee ferry to stop shipping folk back and forth in front of me before I could fire out the bait rods. Only managed a few casts before the tide nearly cut me off. Tried spinning from the rocks but no joy. Chap beside me earlier on had a bass to a shallow diving plug. Weather was a bit dull and overcast so decided to head down west in search of Pollack. Got there only to find it was blazing sunshine (26 degrees!) so no good there. Had a mooch about and headed home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts