do you buy fishing stuff off e.bay?

• yes

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • no

Votes: 6 14.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Sure do. Got a nice Penn Extreme rod for £56, and really nice Abu 6500 C3 for £27 and got loads of boat n shore rigs for sod all money. Still after either a 535 mag, 6500 mag elite and SL20H though. Keep getting out bid on those :(

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yes - regularly. But watch out for the crap, stuff that looks ok in a photo can be very cheap and nasty when you get it delivered - like a filleting knife I bought once. Stick to stuff that you know if possible.

Great place to buy rigs if you can't be bothered to make your own. Also, got a Penn 525 mag from Ebay in the states - even with postage and import duty it was still cheaper than a UK tackle dealer, but only because the exchange rate is so much in our favour these days.

·
Registered
408 Posts
My first attempt at buying on ebay was just a few weeks back when I succesfully bid for a Shimano Stella 10000. A few weeks down the line and no sign of the reel. When I bought, the seller had around 98% positive feedback, I now see that nearly everyone in the last few weeks has complained. Looks like I've been ripped off. Only good thing is I should be able to get some sort of refund through paypal. Here's hoping. Whether I use ebay again will depend on the way this matter is dealt with.
Anyone got a big Shimano for sale?

·
Registered
754 Posts
so far i've been very lucky on ebay.
got a daiwa supercast for £90 (brand new) pain by paypal on the wednesday evening and it arrived on the friday!!!!!!!!!
got a slosh 20 for £40 , immaculate condition took 3 days to come
only things that i've not been 100% happy with have been rigs , ive bought loads some good , some passable and a hell of a lot of complete sh*te

·
Registered
208 Posts
Theres loads of nice abu reels on e bay, i got a brand new abu 7000c4ld for under £100 from the USA, got here quicker than buying gear from the uk so you can't complain.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I haven't progressed to buying expensive items (rods/reels) but I do use it to pick up things that we use where tackle shops charge way over the odds.

An example: reflective tape for rod tips - £4 secures a lifetimes worth of tape on ebay. The same money might get 2 small strips suitable for 1 rod from a fishing tackle shops.

And who can forget the £6 headlamp :D

I am alone in finding Ebay addictive ? The thrill of winning an auction ...

G

·
Manx Fisher said:
I am alone in finding Ebay addictive ? The thrill of winning an auction ...
Nope. I use it alot. Especially for getting fishing and motorbike bits. I have saved hundreds of pounds by buying off it.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I am currently in a verbal battle via e-mails with a guy flogging an outboard on e-bay, he states in the auction quite naively, "that the guy he bought it off stated it was late 80's" I know for a fact (having the exact same model myself) that they were discontinued in 1976!
I informed him of this, & got a load of e-verbal about him not being a outboard geek, & that he was telling everybody what he believed etc, so having had the opportunity to change the auction in the light of new information received, he decided to bluster instead, I have told e-bay what I told him, now its up to them to sort out.
They should now re run the auction with the new info, so that the buyer knows that the engine is at least 15yrs older than they are being led to believe!
How do I know so much about this model, because I bought mine off e-bay under the same impression, only to find out from a dealer that my "late 80's" outboard was in fact 1974 vintage, buyer beware!
blueskip

·
Registered
18 Posts
used it alot for fishing stuff,all bar 1 were good deals, the 1 that went wrong was a guy from the NE, (details on request) sent the money of got no goods at all reported him and ebay washed thier hands of it, still it hasnt put me of,just stick to the guys i know are on the ball and not rip of merchants, carfaro brothers,ukfishingtackle are 2 who id recommend to anyone,S

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Blueskip / anyone else, if you are buying an outboard and you want to give me the serial number I have access to all makers numbers and can tell you the year it was manufactured.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
On the subject of reliable Ebay traders, the best I have used so far is Pendine-Dave very reasonable prices and quick postage.

So far his tackle has not let me down, and his rigs have been well tied and cost effective, and he even made rigs up to order by email very cheaply.

Not bad for someone who is 600 miles away from me.

G

·
lewisteh said:
the best I have used so far is Pendine-Dave very reasonable prices and quick postage.
Same here. I live in the north of Scotland and he has never failed to deliver quickly yet. Quality rigs as well.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i buy and sell fishing gear on ebay and apart from the odd non payer have had no problems the best seller i have bought off is 1960 rigs there not cheap but the rigs are topnotch

1 - 20 of 23 Posts