World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a frustrating day last Saturday in spots around the Nab when we caught millions of small whiting which savaged every bait before bigger fish could find it. Didn’t even catch a dogfish!

So yesterday we came out of the Hamble at dawn and ran down the E Solent and then SE of the island for about 11 miles. Tried some inshore wrecks which didn’t fish. Carried on to a patch of rough ground where we’ve seen shark and tuna in the summer and drifted around. Nothing doing, so as the tide started to ebb we dropped anchor on some undulating seabed and quickly found the fish. A surprising number of spurdogs and some decent conger. Ended up with about a dozen Spurs, conger, dogs and only 1 whiting which was a keeper. One of my mates came for the first time, he’s only ever caught mackerel before. His first fish was a 7lb bass!

Just as the tide slackened off a massive container ship came over the horizon and stopped uptide of us. It then started to drift towards us. Was a bit unsettling until we were confident the combined north wind and tide would push him away from us. Massive thing. Skipper clearly knew what he was doing albeit I’ve never seen a ship behave like that in 30 years. He may have been waiting for his pilot or anchoring spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Excellent day out there Paul, nice to see the spurs are around. That's quite a bass as an introduction to fish other than mackerel.

That container vessel might be the Brussels Express, its still zig zagging around south of IOW, probably waiting for dock space.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. We dropped a few Spurs too as we were using massive baits to deter the tings.

Steve, that’s the same vessel. I’ve been watching him on Vessel Finder. Yesterday that suggested he was due into Soton at 04.30am this morning. A bit weird to be floating up and down the tide like he is. It’s massive too, 80 metres longer than the new aircraft carriers.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thanks guys. We dropped a few Spurs too as we were using massive baits to deter the tings.

Steve, that’s the same vessel. I’ve been watching him on Vessel Finder. Yesterday that suggested he was due into Soton at 04.30am this morning. A bit weird to be floating up and down the tide like he is. It’s massive too, 80 metres longer than the new aircraft carriers.
I once saw a general cargo vessel out on the Spoils steam straight through the assembled fleet of cod-chasers. We were far enough off his track to do no more than get the engine started and the anchor warp buoyed off then watch the fun. One of the charters was ground zero, came out full power in reverse from under its bows. There were many exciting nautical terms used on channel 16 but it would appear that the freighter wasn't listening.
Ever since then, I've always had one eye over my shoulder at anchor. It wasn't pretty to watch even when no-one was hurt.
Steve

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scary stuff Sea Mouse!!

We are always v vigilant for exactly the reason you highlight. The ship on Saturday was only drifted with the tide, so 2.6kts. Would have plenty of time to haul the anchor and engage the 400hp. Thankfully that wasn’t necessary. I always carry a big bouy just in case of winch problems driving a need for an Alderney retrieve. It also allows us to bouy of the anchor and cut the rope in an emergency. And then retrieve later on.

·
Registered
10,583 Posts
Scary stuff Sea Mouse!!

We are always v vigilant for exactly the reason you highlight. The ship on Saturday was only drifted with the tide, so 2.6kts. Would have plenty of time to haul the anchor and engage the 400hp. Thankfully that wasn’t necessary. I always carry a big bouy just in case of winch problems driving a need for an Alderney retrieve. It also allows us to bouy of the anchor and cut the rope in an emergency. And then retrieve later on.
Bread knife always by the anchor rope , when you've got a block of flats bearing down on you there's no time to look for stuff ! ;)
Nice to see the Spurs are back !

·
Registered
894 Posts
Scary stuff Sea Mouse!!

I put an end stop on the warp that would catch the Alderney buoy. Allowed us to simply dump the entire warp over the side and leg it.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jonny,

We tried a couple of hours on Culver last week but had the same experience as you. So we decide to go further on to find the bigger fish on Saturday.

Paul

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
That Bass looks pristine - lovely fish

Reactions: paullynam
1 - 13 of 13 Posts