World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s a topic that has probably been raised on numerous occasion prior so my apologies in advance.

E-TEC engines!

Is there anyone on this board that has owned a 4 Stroke Engine and gone over to an E-TEC engine or even the opposite, having had an E-TEC engine they have reverted back to a 4 stroke engine? … Ideally with the same power output.

I’m considering getting a new outboard engine and I have been happy with the Yamaha 4 stroke engine I have, yep it’s had the odd problem but due to it being 12 years old it’s nothing more than I would have expected.

I was given the E-TEC demo CD toady and played it when I got home and if the promotion bumph is to be believed there is nothing better for sale outboard engine wise on the planet at present.

Are they as good as they claim? … are they as reliable as their Yamaha 4 Stroke Engine opposite number, taking into consideration it being a power match … 75 E-TEC v 75 Yama 4 stroke motor etc.

I can believe the power bands are different and the characteristics are different making the E-TEC that more responsive on initial take off, but this really doesn’t bother me that much, I seldom Ski out too a fishing mark and the fuel economy is far more important, plus reliability and longevity of the engine are a far bigger factor with me when deciding on which engine to buy.

I have had new 2 stroke engines in the past and having gone over to 4 stroke engines, I had never consider going back to a 2 stroke engine, but are these E-TEC that good it makes sense going back to 2 strokes :g:

C

·
0 Posts
My experience with my last boat an Alaska 500 is as follows. I started with a 40hp 4 stroke. Economy was around 10mpg and top speed about 25kts. Even flat out it was quiet enough to hold a conversation and was very reliable.
I then changed to a 75 E-Tec, economy dropped to about 1/2 of the 4 stroke and top speed increased to about 30kts. Reliability was excellent but flat out you could not talk to one another. at slower speeds it was fairly quiet though.
With my present boat, a QS Pilothouse 640 and obviously a bigger, heavier boat I have a Mariner 100hp 4 stroke. Economy averages 3mpg and top speed around 28kts.
I was a little disappointed with the economy of the E-Tec. I expected it to be heavier on fuel than the smaller 4 stroke but not that much different and was told by the salesman that I should average about 8mpg with my boat.
They are good engines though, they look good, power is instant and it would run for a couple of hours flat out on a calm day with no problems.
I would still go for the 4 stroke though given a straight choice.

·
Banned
820 Posts
My experiencewith my last boat an Alaska 500 is as follows. I started with a 40hp 4 stroke. Economy was around 10mpg and top speed about 25kts. Even flat out it was quiet enough to hold a conversation and was very reliable.
I then changed to a 75 E-Tec, economy dropped to about 1/2 of the 4 stroke and top speed increased to about 30kts. Reliability was excellent but flat out you could not talk to one another. at slower speeds it was fairly quiet though.
With my present boat, a QS Pilothouse 640 and obviously a bigger, heavier boat I have a Mariner 100hp 4 stroke. Economy averages 3mpg and top speed around 28kts.
I was a little disappointed with the economy of the E-Tec. I expected it to be heavier on fuel than the smaller 4 stroke but not that much different and was told by the salesman that I should average about 8mpg with my boat.
They are good engines though, they look good, power is instant and it would run for a couple of hours flat out on a calm day with no problems.
I would still go for the 4 stroke though given a straight choice.
Hi so the 75 E TEC 75 horse power? was 25 horse power more than the original 40 hp 4stroke Mariner? Is that correct?

C

·
0 Posts
Hi so the 75 E TEC 75 horse power? was 25 horse power more than the original 40 hp 4stroke Mariner? Is that correct?
No:unsure:. The 75 was 35hp more than the 40. And I expected and was led to believe that despite the difference in size that the E-Tec was so frugal on fuel that there would not be a lot of difference between them in consumption:g:

·
Banned
820 Posts
No:unsure:. The 75 was 35hp more than the 40. And I expected and was led to believe that despite the difference in size that the E-Tec was so frugal on fuel that there would not be a lot of difference between them in consumption:g:
Sorry I got my sums wrong there. I had read that about those engines too. They were supposed to be really thrifty on fuel. So have you heard similar stories?

C

·
0 Posts
Sorry I got my sums wrong there. I had read that about those engines too. They were supposed to be really thrifty on fuel. So have you heard similar stories?
LOL:) . I dont know anyone else that has an E-tec for comparison but I am sure somebody on here will have.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s a typical yankee made promotional CD … guys talking up the Evinrude E-TEC engine too the hilt, and emblazed across their shirts in massive lettering is “EVINRUDE” … the claims made are that basically it makes all other engine manufactured at present obsolete. It might just be the over zealous American hard sell style that is putting grave doubts into my mind … I at present have a 4 stroke and would need seriously convincing before I bought a 2 stoke engine again after all these years :g:

·
Registered
842 Posts
MerseyAngler It’s a typical yankee made promotional CD … guys talking up the Evinrude E-TEC engine too the hilt, and emblazed across their shirts in massive lettering is “EVINRUDE” … the claims made are that basically it makes all other engine manufactured at present obsolete. It might just be the over zealous American hard sell style that is putting grave doubts into my mind … I at present have a 4 stroke and would need seriously convincing before I bought a 2 stoke engine again after all these years
Another issue that you would do well to consider, will 2 strokes be banned in the future, I know that Evinrude claim that they produce very low emissions, but the fact still remains that it is a 2 stroke, and still burns oil as part of its combustion process, and dumps the residue in the sea.

I went through this process last October of trying to decide between an Etec or a Suzuki 4 stroke, and the thought of 2 strokes being outlawed in the future swung the argument for me in favour of the 4 stroke.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:

·
Banned
820 Posts
Another issue that you would do well to consider, will 2 strokes be banned in the future, I know that Evinrude claim that they produce very low emissions, but the fact still remains that it is a 2 stroke, and still burns oil as part of its combustion process, and dumps the residue in the sea.

I went through this process last October of trying to decide between an Etec or a Suzuki 4 stroke, and the thought of 2 strokes being outlawed in the future swung the argument for me in favour of the 4 stroke.

IMHO

Cheers Ian

:boat: :boat: :boat: :boat:
Ian There is another 4 versus 2 stroke engine debate running on the forum.
You may want to have a browse to catch up.
http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57995

·
Registered
991 Posts
I have an Etec 90 on an Orkney 21. It is 21 months old.

I chose the Etec in favour of a similar sized 4 stroke for a number of reasons.

No servicing for 3 years, important for me as the dealer is on another island!

Weight, approx 135kg as opposed to 180ish for a 4 stroke ( the orkney is only rated to 80hp so was skating on thin ice anyway!)

It was bloody cheap!

3 year warranty.

I've always liked slightly quirky things ;0)

So after a couple of seasons use I'm pretty chuffed with it.

It starts instantly, every time, no fast idle/choke needed.

It can be frugal on fuel, but I do tend to be a bit heavy on the throttle! I get slightly more than 1 NM for 1 litre of fuel at 25 knots.

It used very little oil if you use the XD100 synthetic stuff.

Its got this really cool self winterizing program, just tell it to hibernate and it squirts extra oil in the cylinders etc before turning itself off.

It is considerably smaller in size than a 4 stroke.

If you need to you can pull start it, apparently you can't pull start a 4 stroke ( maybe I'm believing the hype here though):g:

It has never, ever missed a beat.

True, it's not really quiet when its at full throttle though.

I'm sure that many 4 strokes tick most of the same boxes but a couple of years ago only the Etec ticked them all.

Gotta go and de-winterize it now!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Quote....No servicing for 3 years, important for me as the dealer is on another island!

So what are you doing about the several factory recalls that have been issued by Evinrude? If you haven't heard about them check with your dealer. I know for certain there have been some 'recall to dealer' checks issued on the E-tec.

Afishionado

·
Registered
991 Posts
The only recall as far as I know for my engine is to fit a new inline fuel filter.

I just got a replacement sent and fitted it myself.

What are the several other recalls?

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
The only recall as far as I know for my engine is to fit a new inline fuel filter.

I just got a replacement sent and fitted it myself.

What are the several other recalls?

If you go to the American Evinrude web site there is a whole load more information than the UK one. I can't remember what the recall thingies were but the information came about via one of our PBSBAC members who just happened across it on the USA site. He phoned the local dealer here in Dorset, they too knew nothing about it so they phoned the importer who said "Oh yes we were going to let you dealers know about them later on????

Afishionado

PS I will try and back track the info from the boat clubs web site

·
Registered
890 Posts
i have a yamaha 60 four stroke fitted to my hardy fishing 18,my mate has a samurai super v with a 75 e-tec, when we go out to the same marks we use the same ammount of fuel.admittedly the boats are different but if you keep the revs down they are good on fuel.
by the way i have pull started my yamaha from cold just to see if it was possible and it started no problem.
anther good idea is to keep a starting cord under the engine cover as you dont know when you may need it.:idea:
by the way my next engine will be an e-tec as it makes my yamaha look dated, they cost less plus you get an extra years warranty compared to yamaha

·
Registered
842 Posts
karlmoore i have a yamaha 60 four stroke fitted to my hardy fishing 18,my mate has a samurai super v with a 75 e-tec, when we go out to the same marks we use the same ammount of fuel.admittedly the boats are different but if you keep the revs down they are good on fuel.
by the way i have pull started my yamaha from cold just to see if it was possible and it started no problem.
anther good idea is to keep a starting cord under the engine cover as you dont know when you may need it.
by the way my next engine will be an e-tec as it makes my yamaha look dated, they cost less plus you get an extra years warranty compared to yamaha
Is your Yamaha a carb version ??????

As fuel injected engines are sooooo much more efficient

·
Registered
257 Posts
From what ive read and heard about the Tohatsu they seam to be a sturdy reliable unit and good value for money , they are manufactured by nissan motor company and are popular in australia , ime sure there will be much more info available from our resident outbourd experts .

Panel its over to you - :notworthy :boat:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been lead to believe that Tohatsu are a good engine ... never personally owned one but a guy from our club has recently bought a new one and as yet he is pleased with it.

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
I have been lead to believe that Tohatsu are a good engine ... never personally owned one but a guy from our club has recently bought a new one and as yet he is pleased with it.

Is that the TLDi version or the carbed one?

There's got to be something said for Tohatsu-they are used on Zapcats.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts