World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my boat it came with all the electronics but no handbooks. Recently on an electrical refit, I cut through the coaxial cable that connects the unit to the transducer, eagle magna lll. I have soldered the cable back together, but am having a lot of interference on the unit ( many blank lines on the screen ) making it virtually unreadable. The cable is very thin, much thinner than normal coax. Anybody know where I can get spares from? My local chandlers aren't much help, just want to sell me a new one, but the unit itself was working well before this. Tried ebay etc. Idealy I would like a new cable with connections. Any help appreciated.

C

·
0 Posts
If you can not get a replacement cable can I suggest the following. Stagger the joins in the cut cable to at least an inch between each one and then individually insulating each join before insulating the lot. I had the same problem a while back and this worked for me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats the way I tried it this time, no joy there unfortunately. Thinking more about it though, I wonder if the joint has got a bit wet somehow. Shall have to investigate if I can't get another cable.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Airmar make the transducer for Lowrance /Eagle, you may be able to get a replacement off them.
http://www.airmartechnology.com/airmar2005/ex20/RMProducts/RMMain.asp?LinkID=

It may be the way you are joining the cable, with it being coax you need to make sure the braid outer is continuous. Join your inner cables first and as suggested stagger the joins. Insulate them and then get a bit of tinfoil and wrap that around all the joins. Strip off the insulation from some spare copper flex and wse the stranded copper wire to wrap around the tinfoil spreading the individual strands out as much as you can. Join theis flex to the braid outer of the coax and then wrap the whole lot in self amalgamating tape going 2 or three inches onto undamaged cable at either eng of your joint. This shold waterproof the joint for you.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tried some more repairs to the cable as mentioned above, but no good, still got loads of missing lines on my screen. Bit the bullet and bought a Garmin ff140, should arrive soon, no doubt will be fitted same day, then just wait very impatiently before using it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts