World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Eagle Fisheasy2 which refuses to go beyond "Backlight Off/On" anybody know who repairs these things, must be cheaper to get it repaired than buy a new one, or is it?
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve, thanks very much, I have e-mailed them, & hopefully they will reply after the Bank Holiday, I am not optimistic though, the electronics world is a law unto itself, its like auto electrical they can say "Oh it was too far gone" just to flog you a new one, & we dont know the difference do we?:nonono:
These finder/sounders never seem to last long with me, & I dont go out that often, & as soon as I find my spot I shut it off, I reckon I use my sounder for no more than an hour every time I am out, lets say I get out 20 times per yr, they tend to last me no more than 2/3yrs, really thats **** poor really 40/60 hrs use & then they go "phut", I would have expected better than that, they cost about £100 each minimum!:nonono:
blueskip

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had an eagle magna 3, lots of lines on the screen with no data. My fault, had a slight oops with the cable for the transducer. Bought a Garmin ff140 from Marine Electronic Services for £96 inc. delivery. So much better than the eagle, and similar sort of price as to have the eagle repaired!

G

·
Unfortunately most electronics these days are throwaway items, hence the way the price has dropped over the past few years. Even with the higher end of the market 2-3 years use is about average.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers Cascars, I must remember that next time I buy a television, "this can be thrown away in 2/3 yrs" at least I will have watched the bloody thing for 6hrs per day. 365 days per yr! My sounders last about as long as a John Wilson Safari, (well it seems about that long)!:whistling:
Sorry I forgot about the built in obselesence!:nonono: so its another "bottom ender" for me (careful now) for another 2/3 yrs! I must invest in a marine electronics franchise to eke out my pension!:giveup:
blueskip

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Banned
820 Posts
I have e-mailed them several times & had no response, anybody got any other suggestions? the thing is only about 18months old, there must be somebody who does repairs on these sounders!:g:
blueskip
I've no idea what a fisheasy cost? But I would guess as you can buy a new Eagle 242 for £60 of ebay that a repair would probably cost you more than that?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I had problems with Simpson, the previous francisee for Lowrance / Eagle. I emailed Lowrance in the states to be told they were actively looking for a new franchisee in this country and in the meantime they sent me the part gratis.

Shortly thereafter Silva became the franchisee and they were supposed to be the dog's danglies.

It appears that they are infected with the same virus that pervades a great many marine companys in this country, the attitude that you should throw it away and spend another however many hundreds of pounds to replace the item with a new bell and whistles unit, which will generate £XXX for the company instead of them providing at least a cursory nod to after sales service.

The Black Museum of customer service IMHO

Mercury/ Mariner
NAVMAN
PLASTIMO
Silva

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have bought a Garmin 140 to replace it, which gives me an Eagle Cuda 168 plus this Garmin 140, but I thought that if I got this Fish Easy sorted, I would have a "fall back" machine, I dont believe that it costs anywhere near the same amount of money to run a "diagnostic" on a faulty machine, as it does to produce a new one! Its a bloody con by the importers, to fleece the boating public yet again!:nonono:
On the web yesterday I could have bought a Garmin 140 in USA for $92! ( the exchange rate is $2 =£1) therefore it cost £46! Here, on "special" it cost me £93.70! it was made in China, how the f**k did it cost, £46 more to ship it to UK than it does to USA? another case of Rip Off Britain!!!!:g:
blueskip

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
That is the point though, the cost of manufacture in China is minimal, to send anything for repair in this country means mega expense, first in training people to diagnose the fault and then to repair it. Lets face it a robot can put a circuit board together, never gets tired, doesn't need breaks etc. The cost is in putting the program together to make the robot do the right moves.

It does nothing for global warming if you believe in it but we are the only ones that will pay for that so bend over and take a double stuffing

·
Banned
820 Posts
I have bought a Garmin 140 to replace it, which gives me an Eagle Cuda 168 plus this Garmin 140, but I thought that if I got this Fish Easy sorted, I would have a "fall back" machine, I dont believe that it costs anywhere near the same amount of money to run a "diagnostic" on a faulty machine, as it does to produce a new one! Its a bloody con by the importers, to fleece the boating public yet again!:nonono:
On the web yesterday I could have bought a Garmin 140 in USA for $92! ( the exchange rate is $2 =£1) therefore it cost £46! Here, on "special" it cost me £93.70! it was made in China, how the f**k did it cost, £46 more to ship it to UK than it does to USA? another case of Rip Off Britain!!!!:g:
blueskip
We are in a Global Market now. No one needs to buy in Britain anymore.
You may have saved money buying from the US or elswhere. You may not though.
Duty. VAT. Clearence fees may have been added on before you actually got the goods from abroad.
So rip off Britain? Maybe....We certainly pay some high purchase taxes.

My own Eagle 242 was only £60.00
The friendly US ebay seller declared it as a gift. So no duty or vat fees.
Which was nice!

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've no idea what a fisheasy cost? But I would guess as you can buy a new Eagle 242 for £60 of ebay that a repair would probably cost you more than that?
It wasn't a cheap as chips model, I paid a bit extra for some bells & whistles but the lifespan was crap. I have bought a Garmin140 to replace it, & I have a Cuda 168 as back up, but it would be nice to be able to get something that is less than 2 yrs old, with less than 40hrs on the clock repaired. I am sure we are being shafted with this electronics kit, nobody who sells it, seems to have facilities for repairing it, & the franchisees black list seems to be growing!:g:
blueskip

·
Banned
820 Posts
It wasn't a cheap as chips model, I paid a bit extra for some bells & whistles but the lifespan was crap. I have bought a Garmin140 to replace it, & I have a Cuda 168 as back up, but it would be nice to be able to get something that is less than 2 yrs old, with less than 40hrs on the clock repaired. I am sure we are being shafted with this electronics kit, nobody who sells it, seems to have facilities for repairing it, & the franchisees black list seems to be growing!:g:
blueskip
The trouble is as chrip said. They are made with cheap labour at low cost in faraway countries and aint worth the trouble to the manufacturers to repair.

Did you get your interference sorted out or was it the duff unit?
The Eagle manual makes a big point about watching for interference from other units fitted to the boat and wiring routing.
I used to get fish showing on the screen as soon as I start the motor. I've tracked it down to running the transducer cable alonside the motor starter wiring.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had an e-mail from Silva, very helpful, they sell the sounders in UK but repairs are done by Lowrance in the USA, so a "service exchange" is the usual response, they have no "FishEasy" sounders in stock, so I have to send a whole list of details to them, which I will do, I am determined to get something out of this <40hr wonder!:rtfm:
blueskip

·
Banned
820 Posts
I had an e-mail from Silva, very helpful, they sell the sounders in UK but repairs are done by Lowrance in the USA, so a "service exchange" is the usual response, they have no "FishEasy" sounders in stock, so I have to send a whole list of details to them, which I will do, I am determined to get something out of this <40hr wonder!:rtfm:
blueskip

Did you get your interference sorted out or was it the duff unit?
The Eagle manual makes a big point about watching for interference from other units fitted to the boat and wiring routing.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The interference is coming from the siting of the transom mounted transducers, I have taken the Fuso 403 off because I think the transducer is kapput, it was working perfectly on "simulation", but reads like a chinese guard report on "run" so thats binned!:g:
The Eagle Fish Easy 2 also with a transom mount is off & awaiting "binning", the Cuda 168 is also transom mounted & perfect <10 knots, after that it goes into "braile mode". This Garmin 140 I have mounted under the deck in a lump of waste pipe, which has been stuck down with Sikaflex & screwed to the engine bearers, the transducer is sitting in about 4" of Tesco's veg oil, that is being retained by a rubber bung in the top!:yeah:
In dry run it is reading 0ft which is positive seeing as its sat on the trailer, it functions perfectly in simulation, lets see what happens when I take the boat out again in a couple of weeks. Its bad enough going out & having your instruments break down, without sitting out there fishless!:giveup:
blueskip

1 - 18 of 18 Posts