World Sea Fishing Forums banner

early april fishing

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  fishermanFigg 
#1 ·
Hi all

Well, as the snow falls outside here in Kent I am planning my annual easter fishing trip to Cornwall.
I am staying near Porthscatho, so I have fished from Hemmick to Porthscatho in the past and have done quite well with species ranging from Bull Huss to , well edible craps ( a little play on words there), I see from Googleearth and Virtual Earth that there are a couple of beaches further down the Roselands,
Bohortha and Towan, which look really nice from the reference images on the web and the ones from 400 miles up in space.
Are they fishable ?
Last time I fished an Easter trip it was Bull Huss all the way off of the rocks, can I expect anything else and if so where might I find the blighters.

large ones all round

Alan

#3 ·
I know nothing of fishing the area.. (I don't even know where it is LOL) but hopefully someone will point you in the right direction. I've found most regular posters to be informative and very helpfull. Hopefully someone can help you out.

Thanks for replying,
the location is the other side of (opp)St Maws.
I would really like some guidence about beach fishing, of course I fish my local beaches, (The Channel, Dungeness etc) which are shingle, and steep, whereas most of the sandy beaches in Cornwall tend to be low storm like beaches, although some of the Roseland pennisula beaches are shingle and sand in composition, I would also like some info on rock fishing for conger, I have fished some , supposedly good for conger rocks, and drawn a balnk whe nteh conditions would seem to favour a strap or two.
Is there a dependabe lug supply in the SW, I like to have a selection of baits, as one does I have even considered pumping my own before I go down,
If you can help with any of my questions many thanks if not thanks anyway for the reply.

fisherman figg

Species 07

Cod, bass, whiting, pouting, and my son had a small flounder standing next to me one night:g: , does that count ?

#8 ·
I is from Tunbridge Wells,

Sounds good, I am about on the 5th to the 12th, I will be based in the Porthscatho area, so the Lizard sounds interesting, it is actually an area in Cornwall I havent fished at all.
How have you found life living in one of the most wonderful parts of the UK, all of the local "Cornish" (if there is such a thing) people I have spoken to bemoan just about everything, too many holiday makers, low wages high cost of living etc,
I think, never mind that look at the scenery and fishing mate.

Alan

#9 ·
I is from Tunbridge Wells,

How have you found life living in one of the most wonderful parts of the UK, all of the local "Cornish" (if there is such a thing) people I have spoken to bemoan just about everything, too many holiday makers, low wages high cost of living etc,
I think, never mind that look at the scenery and fishing mate.

Alan
Not all of us moan mate :) ...well not all the time.

"Blimmin tourists... comin down here... taking all our women... buying all our houses"
Ok so I moan when I'm stuck behind the old '20mph everywhere' drivers.

I'm blessed and I know it! Leave work... go fishing... go surfing... can't afford a house??? It's the price I pay. And I'm alright with it.

You get people in every area and in all walks of life who don't appreciate what they have. Wishing time away. Wanting the next pay check etc... moaning!!
Not really living. I think getting out of the house and seeing a sunrise, a sunset and nature in general gives you reflection and a positive outlook. Catching a fish more so:)

Next time someone moans tell them to go.... fishing!

#10 ·
Not all of us moan mate :) ...well not all the time.

"Blimmin tourists... comin down here... taking all our women... buying all our houses"
Ok so I moan when I'm stuck behind the old '20mph everywhere' drivers.

I'm blessed and I know it! Leave work... go fishing... go surfing... can't afford a house??? It's the price I pay. And I'm alright with it.

You get people in every area and in all walks of life who don't appreciate what they have. Wishing time away. Wanting the next pay check etc... moaning!!
Not really living. I think getting out of the house and seeing a sunrise, a sunset and nature in general gives you reflection and a positive outlook. Catching a fish more so:)

Next time someone moans tell them to go.... fishing!

Well said, that man :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:

#11 ·
Hey guys

Thank goodness you have some regional pride left, you guys live in the most beautiful area in the southern part of england, hey, your water at least looks clean ours looks like somebody has been suffering with dysentry, and we eat fish from it... blimey that's a thought, what am i feeding to my kiddies.
Please dont be offended nought was meant by it.

Alan

#13 ·
Gotta say i bitch and moan about wages,the rain and the holiday makers down hear.I moved to kent well Maidstone to be precise and got out of bed up there after living there for 6 months and decided I had had enough of the rat race there and 7 hrs later was at my dads just outside of St Austell drinking coffee and unpacking my bags!!!!

#14 ·
anyway.......back to the fishing.......

the winter fishing down here is a bit slower than that of kent.....loe bar ( my favourite venue ) is as near to dungeness as we get down here, but as spring kicks in the fishing starts to pick up a pace...

i would never move back to kent, thats for sure, and the cornish are a great bunch of people......i think that people moan about wages and the cost of living where ever you go....ok it does rain a bit more here, but its not as cold......

i wouldnt want my life any different!!!!

pm me when you are down and a contact number and i will give you a couple of days fishing tour of some well known spots on the lizard...

Barry

#15 ·
Fishermanfigg, wot bit o Kent yo from.
Yo dont talk like nobody I know.
More like from Tunbridge Wells 200 years ago.
Behave yourself and talk propper like you woz tort to.

#16 ·
Fishermanfigg, wot bit o Kent yo from.
Yo dont talk like nobody I know.
More like from Tunbridge Wells 200 years ago.
Behave yourself and talk propper like you woz tort to.
verily I say to thee,
This is the common tongue of thine kinsfolk, is thou a foreigner, if so
what part of the new world is ones motherland ?

.....er ....mate

#17 ·
Couldn't av put it better myself, if i'm having a bad day i just have a drive down the beach and think wow how lucky i am, i moved down from Yorkshire over 5 year ago and love every minute of it apart from work:yucky: i still miss the old Yorkshire Dales and the peak district but not the rat race of the city, i'm still proud to be a Yorkshireman but there is nowt wrong wi the Cornish folk.
I know the thread has gone 'off topic' a little and that apologies have been given, but just to get in my 10 cents worth...

I'm Cornish and very proud of it - grew up down here and now realise how lucky I was and that I took it for granted when I was young. Many who criticise the tourists, low wages etc have never known anything else - believe me, it's a small price to pay. I left the county in the mid-80s because there was no decent work to be found and I lived 'up country' for 18 years. It was not until I moved away that I fully appreciated Cornwall - the sea, the fishing, the low crime, the pace of life, the mild winters, the fresh air, the relative LACK of traffic (yes - even in the Summer) - I could go on. I consider myself fortunate as I have now moved back, have a reasonable job and a nice house. Yes, I could earn twice as much 'up country', yes, I could better indulge my other interest which is watching motorsport, but that is about it.

I think anyone who has never known anything BUT Cornwall should be careful about expressing an opinion based upon a rather one-sided perception.

Rant over!

#18 ·
Hi

As the instigator of the post I feel compelled to "chip in" as it were,
When all is said and done, I love Cornwall. I find the "real" Cornish to be fine folks,
who are rightly proud of their magnificent Kernow.
One of the previous posters mentioned, you get people who will moan no matter where they are, regardless of location.
Roll on next week, coz I will be wetting a worm, sandeel etc, mind you the long range forecast looks a bit dodgy

#22 ·
Heavy reading this thread, now I've got to the end, I'll ask, I'm in North Cornwall after Easter, visiting my parents who live in a place called Penwithick near St Austell, will probably stay near Watergate Bay for a few days as I've got a lot of friends there. Would be good to meet up with a few poeple if you're out and about, will probably try Watergate for Bass if the tides and surf are right.

I'm on a mission to catch 3 species of Ray this year (shore caught), already got the first Thornback, a nice 9lb 8oz fish a few weeks back, would be good to have a crack for one of the other two if it ain't too early!

Tony

#24 ·
verily I say to thee,
This is the common tongue of thine kinsfolk, is thou a foreigner, if so
what part of the new world is ones motherland ?

.....er ....mate
Start with Cha'am me ol' matey :)
Barnstaple or down Bude way
Hey Ho!!!!! a man can dream.

Plenty of bass about at the mo -whats it like down there?

#25 ·
Start with Cha'am me ol' matey :)
Barnstaple or down Bude way
Hey Ho!!!!! a man can dream.

Plenty of bass about at the mo -whats it like down there?
Down there ?
well, I tried Bexhill on sea the other day, seriously.....
low water up to about an 2 hours before top, fished really well a couple of small codling, 3 small bass, up to about 1lb, flounder, big whiting and a complimentry rockling.
Quite good fun really, and suprising, I normally fish at Dungeness and Galloways.
I was thinking about trying Normans bay, for Plaice and Bass.

where do you fish ?

Alan

#26 ·
Up to now either Dungie or Deal but this year I'm going to give the Thanet / North Kent coast some attention - that is if I dont revert to auto-pilot and end up in my old haunts.
Mind you the best blacks and stickies DO come from Dungie!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.