World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20210605_220655.jpg

Good afternoon guys,

Fly-fishing is a magic way to recapture the rapture of solitude without the pangs of loneliness;

John D Voelker

It's time, the water temperature is on the up, a warm night, with a very light sw wind, giving me the chance to bring out the fly rod.

My track record hasn't been to great, but if anything , after each session I would have learnt a little more and put me on a fish at some point, accepting a blank gladly.

Low water was at 02:20 ish, and being just after neaps I was not to hopeful, but just the fact of wading in the water , rod in hand, taking in the sights, sounds and smells of the night is good enough for me. The one time I can really feel at peace with the world.

Arrived at the mark 00:40am, My intention was to fish till low then home. As I made my approach, not a fish was sturring. Peeling off some line I started making blind casts just to get a feel for the rod again, but ever so slowly increasing my distance and pushing to find fish.

20210606_122132.jpg

Just nothing was happening, altered my retrieve, nothing........ changed fly...... zip, zero.

A mate joined me later, who was fishing with lures, and not long after he arrived, he had a fish on............ ok, they are there but why I cant get a follow, then another fish he had.

20210606_122125.jpg

40 mins to low, time was ticking, So I changed my fly, same as this but more black and red, lost my only one to the sea on the last forced cast lol, slightly heavier, and decided not to retrieve at all but to dead drift the fly........oh no........... stuck again, hang on....... literally, as this snag took off. Landing 50 bass. Well I never....... two simple things changed everything.

20210606_022101.jpg

Next cast, same again, another 50 cm bass. well things are really looking up.

didnt take any photos after the first fish. being night setting up light and the comotion of coming out of the water, as I am 40byards ish away from the shore, mindful of the amount of time the fish being out of the water, I passed on the photos. Will try to figure out a way.

So releasing the fish, next cast a slightly smaller fish. Omg have I just done something that I though could be possible in my infancey of fly fishing.

Low was upon us, and 2 more fish graced the net. Before it went totally dead and i began to foam up the water with frantic casts, but then realizing that I have been blessed with five fish, and stopped.

Making my way home a very happy man, such a brilliant night/morning.

Thank you for reading, and wish you very tight lines if your out fishing.

Cheers

Mukiwa.

20210511_051005.jpg

The two best times to fish, is when its raining and when it ain't.

Patrick. F. McManus

·
Registered
11,539 Posts
Good effort Gavin, that's a nice Bass, although fly fishing is not my favourite method of fishing, in fact I'll be quit blunt, I hate it, probably coz I'm useless at it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Good effort Gavin, that's a nice Bass, although fly fishing is not my favourite method of fishing, in fact I'll be quit blunt, I hate it, probably coz I'm useless at it.
Great report, I have caught lots of schoolies on the fly but maybe I need to get out at night

Reactions: Mukiwa

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much Steve, it's not everyone's cup of tea, so dont blame you, when one can simply use a rod and reel to cast, more energy effective as well.

I started fishing for bream with piece of bamboo, as a rod and a float, length of mono and a hook.

But fly fishing I started when I was 13 year of age. Hardly did bait fishing, and fishing at night back home was hardly done.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great report, I have caught lots of schoolies on the fly but maybe I need to get out at night
Thank you mate. Yes try at night, small fish at day, the big fish get brave and come shallow at night. I was shocked that a bass in a tide, will still find a fly even though there are not rattles ect like lure fishing. Well worth the effort frustration and the blanks

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very well done Gavin. A great report from a thinking and passionate angler.
Thank you so much Nick for the such kind words. It was such a great feeling to work out in yeo easy moves what was going on and catch some fish. I love my fishing like everyone else , if only I could make a career out of it.

Tight lines for the next time your out.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hey mate,

Rarely venture in here anymore, something to do with dirty bait or something .. I don't know.. but wait, what is this!? Bass on the fly!!?

That's the grail there mate, watching your progress over the years has been tremendous. Not that you need my praise but you have it anyway, well done mate. 👏

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey mate,

Rarely venture in here anymore, something to do with dirty bait or something .. I don't know.. but wait, what is this!? Bass on the fly!!?

That's the grail there mate, watching your progress over the years has been tremendous. Not that you need my praise but you have it anyway, well done mate. 👏
Hello mate,

Dirty bait, lol, it does smell ,or at least I do smell after a session.

Yip, bass on the fly, mate what an experence it has been. Casting that fly rod, the hit or take of the bass and landing them, is just stunning.

The more we scale down the kit, there more I learn about a fish. I would highly recommend it mate. I think you have and 8 weight , but mate got to try it.

Thank you so much for your kind comments, they are so so heart warming mate. Truly.

The years are shooting by mate, but I owe it people like yourself, that offer so much advise mate so thank you

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hello mate,

Dirty bait, lol, it does smell ,or at least I do smell after a session.

Yip, bass on the fly, mate what an experence it has been. Casting that fly rod, the hit or take of the bass and landing them, is just stunning.

The more we scale down the kit, there more I learn about a fish. I would highly recommend it mate. I think you have and 8 weight , but mate got to try it.

Thank you so much for your kind comments, they are so so heart warming mate. Truly.

The years are shooting by mate, but I owe it people like yourself, that offer so much advise mate so thank you
It's a pleasure to waffle on about fishing in general and helping each other along the way is a bonus.

Yeah man, dirty bait.. gets under your nails and everything.. yucky. :LOL:

Well remembered on the 8#, I've not had it out for a proper go since completely moving over to lure. I will get it out later in the year for a Mullet bash at least as a mate has shown some interest for when the Bass die off over the summer.. haha.. if they get going he says.
What rod, fly line and leader you using? Braided loop or tying directly to fly line? How do you find casting various size flies?

Thinking about it.. All this talk about SWFFING, dead drifting the fly, picturing the little mends in the line.. very nearly tempting me to get it wet.. :LOL:
Such an exciting way to catch the Bass, technically harder than luring thus more rewarding I feel but so frustrating when it all goes wrong.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a pleasure to waffle on about fishing in general and helping each other along the way is a bonus.

Yeah man, dirty bait.. gets under your nails and everything.. yucky. :LOL:

Well remembered on the 8#, I've not had it out for a proper go since completely moving over to lure. I will get it out later in the year for a Mullet bash at least as a mate has shown some interest for when the Bass die off over the summer.. haha.. if they get going he says.
What rod, fly line and leader you using? Braided loop or tying directly to fly line? How do you find casting various size flies?

Thinking about it.. All this talk about SWFFING, dead drifting the fly, picturing the little mends in the line.. very nearly tempting me to get it wet.. :LOL:
Such an exciting way to catch the Bass, technically harder than luring thus more rewarding I feel but so frustrating when it all goes wrong.
The rod and reel and line, are all second hand, I will let you know when I get home over the weekend. Rod is a 7 weight, same with the line. The leader I built from different mono breaking strain. Your 8 eight was where I wanted to be, but to mess around for the first year, the rod cost £30, the reel with brand new dry line was £40. The bank is lovely and handles the fish and cast big flys no problem.

It's really noticable between flys when casting. But at night I dont need long casts which helps to keep the noise down.

What was good was trying to stop ripple come from myself when casting so it forced the correct cast using the elbow to wrist more , rather than my sloppy all body movement.

Mate , dig your out and hit a local mark mate .

It is very exciting and hugely rewarding, yes technically harder, but once landed, it a fish that worth so much

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great report, That looks like a mark close to where I live in Southampton .
thank you so much mate.

Yes mate , thought you might recognise that mark, it's not where I was fishing, it was on my way home, I always walk up the river to th white swan just love being by the water.

Tight lines for the weekend

·
Premium Member
9,651 Posts
The rod and reel and line, are all second hand, I will let you know when I get home over the weekend. Rod is a 7 weight, same with the line. The leader I built from different mono breaking strain. Your 8 eight was where I wanted to be, but to mess around for the first year, the rod cost £30, the reel with brand new dry line was £40. The bank is lovely and handles the fish and cast big flys no problem.

It's really noticable between flys when casting. But at night I dont need long casts which helps to keep the noise down.

What was good was trying to stop ripple come from myself when casting so it forced the correct cast using the elbow to wrist more , rather than my sloppy all body movement.

Mate , dig your out and hit a local mark mate .

It is very exciting and hugely rewarding, yes technically harder, but once landed, it a fish that worth so much
For Mullet or Bass?.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts