World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Early pollack

263 views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Malks 
#1 ·
Had a nice time out recently, unfortunately the fish were few and far between, probably due to the bloom.
There were a lot of baitfish, and what looked like mackerel, but could have been immature pollack/coalies, showing on the fishfinder. I was using a SGSE on the bottom and a redgill evostix on a short dropper above.

Electronics Electronic device Technology Multimedia Gadget

Green Water Sea Ocean Grass

Eventually the wind/tide slowed and the water seemed to clear a bit. I drifted over a nice rough patch at a nice pace and felt my SP get a nice gentle pull, I pulled back and the line went zinging off the reel and the rod hooped over...for all of a couple of seconds!

Next drift was slightly inshore of the last by about 10m, same thing...but this time the hook was set and not coming out. Three or four fast, strong runs and a lovely pollack came to the surface. She`s probably the biggest I`ve caught from the kayak, 67cm, so hopefully there wll be a few more about of this size over the summer/autumn.
Unfortunately when I gutted her she was full of roe, I had thought they would have spawned by now, so lesson learned.

Fish Fishing Fish Jigging Recreational fishing

Fish Fishing bait Fish Spoon lure Bait

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.