World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up at the crack of dawn car packed and set off for aberavon. First customer of the day at dragon baits and set up by 6:15. Just getting light and theres quite a gust. Not loooking too clever. Tried and tried and after almost 2 hours packed up.

Weights not holding despite grippers and just wasnt worth it.

Had 1/2 rag to use so heaed to porthcawl and the w wall. Set up and waited. Still a bit windy but not as bad.

Waited and waited, then out of the blue a little whiting to show for my early rise, and that folks was it.

I literally have no idea why the fishing is as bad as it is.

So now i think i'll wait for a at least 3-4 weeks before i venture out again.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I had the same outcome yesterday Aitch mate fished Swansea beach by Observatory Tower lug rag and mackerel
Fished last hour down and 2 up
Got bored so wound up the Zero Plus and got in some much needed ready for the Rays/Hound's
Cheers Phil3D

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Fishing is totally opposite for my self went out last night and had 10 codling between 2 of us only 2 keepers mind,very busy night but all fished returned safely

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unlucky Ian, at least you did have something, what size weights were you using then?? Must have been some pull. 10/10 for effort mate.
I had a 4oz to begin with the. The. Changed that to 3oz gripper with a pear 3oz as well so 6oz then changed that to 4 and 3 and still wasn't gripping never known it like that down there before.

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
I had a 4oz to begin with the. The. Changed that to 3oz gripper with a pear 3oz as well so 6oz then changed that to 4 and 3 and still wasn't gripping never known it like that down there before.
I recon it's all a result of the storms. Think about it. How many of our beaches have lost huge amounts of sand and shale ??? It's all gone somewhere. These sub straights settle out in waves and progressively move along the sea bed. These restrict the volume of water and this increases the velocity. It's the velocity of the moving water that drags your leads.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I recon it's all a result of the storms. Think about it. How many of our beaches have lost huge amounts of sand and shale ??? It's all gone somewhere. These sub straights move in waves along the sea bed. For every peek there will be a gully. These gullies restrict the volume of water and this increases the velocity. It's the velocity of the moving water that drags your leads.
Aberavon is a flat beach mate, and whilst i understand what your saying, even in the biggest tides down there i have had no problems with weights gripping, even to the point that ive only used a 3oz lead.

Suppose it could have been the easterly wind but then again, even on a stronger wind ive had no problems.

·
Premium Member
9,433 Posts
Aberavon is a flat beach mate, and whilst i understand what your saying, even in the biggest tides down there i have had no problems with weights gripping, even to the point that ive only used a 3oz lead.

Suppose it could have been the easterly wind but then again, even on a stronger wind ive had no problems.

Just a theory I have about what may be happening. Would be interested to hear from a boat or yak angler if they have notice any changes in the depths from their sounders..

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Unlucky Ian, always slow this time of year. Give it 3 or 4 weeks, the rays will start to show along with a few other species... Hope you washed your gear down this time! :-o

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unlucky Ian, always slow this time of year. Give it 3 or 4 weeks, the rays will start to show along with a few other species... Hope you washed your gear down this time! :-o
Yes mate i did. All sorted. Washed in fresh water. Baby wipes on my rod. Oooooh

Having said that, i did something else today that was quite funny, i ran over the missus' foot in the car. Think it may sting a bit when she wakes up in the morning.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Well done for your efforts Ian! Fished county Hall last monday night, the waves were monsterous even in light winds which I found quite unusual. I think there is some kind of internal storm in the sea. I had a pouting only that night .Generally fishing is slow at the moment! But I and some other angler had few good sessions in between slow session. I catch or don't catch I cannot wait more than few days for another session fishing tomorrow again actually. Khan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts